Snow Watch!

trekka

6 hours ago, Xann said:

My friend cycles to work in Helsinki. Impressive beard icicles!

Hell's Sink is too south and too big for me with too many hipsters too. The more northern, the better. I want to live past the arctic circle, sun won't go down in summer and sun won't come up during the winter, at least for a couple of days.

55 minutes ago, Jarpie said:

I want to live past the arctic circle, sun won't go down in summer and sun won't come up during the winter, at least for a couple of days.

I think that would totally do my head in. 

51 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

1 hour 30 mins so far for the school run and heading to work ( about 5 miles done out of 10 ) 

we have about 1/2 a cm of snow  and the main roads are clear of snow 

this country is an embarrassment when it comes to snow 

Sounds like here yesterday, and the same conditions as well. Took me 70 minutes to get the nipper to nursery.

Same trip last week, when it was half term too? 8 minutes.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Sounds like here yesterday, and the same conditions as well. Took me 70 minutes to get the nipper to nursery.

Same trip last week, when it was half term too? 8 minutes.

I’ve pulled into a garden centre for coffee and a sausage sandwich to wait for the traffic to die down

as if my day couldn’t get any worse they put butter and ketchup in my sausage sandwich ... bloody heathens 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve pulled into a garden centre for coffee and a sausage sandwich to wait for the traffic to die down

as if my day couldn’t get any worse they put butter and ketchup in my sausage sandwich ... bloody heathens 

I stopped at Morrisons near the nursery and had omelette and beans with a coffee.  By the time I'd finished it took me 15 minutes to get home.

Any excuse for a hot breakfast as well though, really.

• Like 1

It's made my mom homeless :crylaugh: 

She moved house today. I say moved house, she moved her stuff out of her old house and into her new house. But she hasn't actually completed on the new house. She's only been allowed to move her stuff in because the seller knows the estate agent who knows my mom. The seller doesn't live there so let mom move her stuff in.

So the plan was move the stuff in, then fly to Ireland where she's holidaying for 2 weeks.

Except now her flight is cancelled until at least tomorrow. So she's homeless :D 

(In reality she'll stay at mine, but I'm winding her up in the meantime)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, we finally got some proper snow. But unable to fetch the little 'un, so no snowman building today, dammit. 

I spoke to two separate clients in Leeds today and they said it was really heavy. Once chap, in Micklefield, said its the worst he's seen it for years. 

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

I spoke to two separate clients in Leeds today and they said it was really heavy. Once chap, in Micklefield, said its the worst he's seen it for years. 

I got up at 6.30 as usual, and it didn't seem too bad - the main road we live on seemed fairly clear. I cleared the snow off the drive, but underneath it was a sheet of ice like steel armour, and I didn't have enough rock salt to even start on it. Our drive is a steep slope, and if I'd tried to drive on it, I'd probably either have hit the side wall or hurtled straight into the traffic. The other grandma has a 4WD and wasn't working, so she was able to fill in for us. And within the next hour, we were in a blizzard, and even the main road had cars skidding all over it. My daughter tried to get to work on the bus, but had to give up. It's been snowing on and off all day, and we've agreed on another snow day tomorrow. No prospect of a let-up before the weekend, which is a bummer, as I'm supposed to be taking the car in for a service on Friday morning, and going to a gig on Friday night. We shall see. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â