Snow Watch!

trekka

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm working from home.

If you don't have to make the journey, you shouldn't - it's reduces risk, saves money, blah blah blah - people shouldn't need to feel bad.

Presenteeism at its worst. 

This! 

Just Apply common sense and police your own safety. 

How many gaffers will pay your bills over christmas after a nasty slip, trip or fall that requires time off?..

How many gaffers will pay for your repair bill on the motor after some arsehole couldn't stop in time?

Look after number one, When the time comes they will drop you like a neat scotch so **** em!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bickster said:

High gear, low revs

I tried everything, it was too slippy.

Dug a load of snow up and spread some grit down. Will do it again later, so should be ok tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just had text off my boss. No work again tomorrow. It does not surprise me though, as the roofs and scaffolding will have loads of ice  on them. The snow is great, but it's the days after when it don't go above freezing and it just turns to ice. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Its not always the case though.  A lot of people can't work from home (no laptop, VPN, etc).

I whatsapp'ed everyone in my department, and said "Don't come in if its too difficult. We just need to make sure 1-2 people get in" (out of 12 people)... but everyone made it into work!  

No VPN in this day and age is pretty inexcusable. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Snow day for me. WFH

Our car park for our flat is underground and the slope to get out is icy as ****.

If it was a straight run it would be ok. You could just gun it up. But it curves upwards and to the right a full 90 degrees. So was basically impossible.

I have video evidence of me trying to show the boss :D 

Got no chance of getting my car out of my complex for days as its a beamer! Plus the whole complex is sheet ice. 

Luckily I can catch the train in if I need to. Or WFH

43 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

45 mins to dig out my neighbours 5 series. 

The 8 year old 1.0lt VW polo parked next to it, pulled straight out. 

The joys of rear wheel drive! 

BMW drivers are nearly always the worst in these conditions. Rear wheel drive if you don't know how to drive in these conditions anyway, just amplifies the ineptitude

• Like 2

My work is flexible and most people can WFH. Of about 50 people on our floor today only 6 are in the office, rest are WFH.

I'm on holiday today and will make a decision later as to what I'm doing - will probably go in as the trains are fine and i'm planning to meet a mate for a lunchtime coffee (or beer)

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

BMW drivers are nearly always the worst in these conditions. Rear wheel drive if you don't know how to drive in these conditions anyway, just amplifies the ineptitude

I've learned to not even bother with the 328! RWD and a powerful engine are a recipe for disaster

Pick up my Audi Quattro next week so should be better prepared in the future!

• Like 1

My car is under snow somewhere outside the flat. Gonna have a 15 minute walk into Moseley in a bit to get some supplies and may have a mince pie and hot chocolate while out. It feels so Christmassy! Bit of a bugger though as work is an even closer walk of 8 minutes so I have no excuse but to show up <_<

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, if they don't have X-Drive, BMW's can be horrific in the winter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

It'll be worse on the roads tomorrow than today if those predicated temperatures are right. 

The midlands is gonna be one big ice rink. 

Yeah, Some parts are forecast for -8C in the next 24hrs 

Grit offers little protection against ice at temperatures below -5C (23F) so be careful out there. 

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've learned to not even bother with the 328! RWD and a powerful engine are a recipe for disaster

Pick up my Audi Quattro next week so should be better prepared in the future!

Wouldn't get to confident with the Quattro mate, I put mine in a bush on Saturday doing no more than 20mph :D

• Haha 1

Â