80+ Dead in Egypt Football Riot

maqroll

Just heard there may be a political side to this. Something about allowing those fans to get attacked.

I couldn't help but notice the police just standing there doing nothing....wouldn't surprise me if this was a premeditated slaughter.

The word going round is that the police and security services let the Al Masry fans attack the Al Ahly fans and players. Apparently the al ahly ultras have been heavily involved in the protests against Mubarak and the military government and this may have been the police giving them their commupance as they see it.

There was also a fire started at a game in Cairo possibly as a show of protest at what was happening at the al masry v al ahly game.

Word is that the army locked a load of Al Ahly 'ultras' in one end (who they have a history of problems with), and then let a load of tooled up loons from the other firm go in and do their worst. Stabbings, stranglings, people getting chucked off the top tier.

A load of people at a football match hell bent on trouble not willing to take the blame for their actions so decide to blame the police and the authorities.

Enough about Liverpool fans.... no one cares.

I think the Egyptian situation clearly has a political element to it. They had rockets in the ground FFS.

A load of people at a football match hell bent on trouble not willing to take the blame for their actions so decide to blame the police and the authorities.

Enough about Liverpool fans.... no one cares.

I think the Egyptian situation clearly has a political element to it. They had rockets in the ground FFS.

Exactly. Plenty of people brushing this off as "oh look, trouble at a football match". This wasn't normal trouble. Home fans loaded with lethal weapons were a) allowed into the stadium fully loaded and B) allowed to attack the away fans with impunity.

As you say, the political history between Al-Ahly fans and the military/revolution/Mubarak is fairly high on the list of motives.

Probably not BOTH sets of fans Wiggs.

Can't see too many takers to the offer "we're going to lock you into a stand...... tool up your bitterest rvials and then set them on you whilst we watch"

No deal Noel.

Are you saying that this was planned by both the fans and the authorities Bri?

I've heard it suggested by people who live over there yes. Now how likely that is to ever come out in any official investigation, given the vested interests of those carrying out the investigation (read - the government investigating themselves and their police force), is slim to none. The Egyptian FA who would have had little to do with policing the event, have taken the fall here.

Â