• Warnock
    • Clark
    • Petrov
    • Ireland
    • Keane
    • N'Zogbia
    • Bent
    • Sub:Bannan (for Clark)

That second half we played some of the best football we've played in ages, real good link up play and Ireland was at the heart of it again. The less said about the first half the better.

Cuellar was my link man of the match along with Ireland, both were stand out players tonight. if we can play like we did in that second half all 90 we'd win most matches in my opinion. How many hand balls does a ref need to see in order to give one?! I counted 3 shouts from us lot and a 4th half hearted shout plus a block off the line late on...christ we were unlucky when I think about it. 68% possesion according to SSN!!! How we didn't win that I'll never know...it just wasn't our day.

Good to see passing and forward play finally even if it was only the second half....hopefully more to come (both halfs please!). UTV.

Just back - really enjoyable game.

Thought Keane was MOTM by some distance - his throughballs were a constant menance all night (well apart from the first 30)

Good to see zog scoring - thought he should have had a couple more though - we were guilty of over elaborating on several occasions.

Build up play esp for Bent goal was tremendous.

I don't why AM sets us up to be defensive - as that seems our weakness.

Warnock to his credit - stuck to his task - and composed himself well after those disasters. Would agree he needs a break - but just who do we put there ? Baker, Clark, Cuellar - not great options. Suspect he will keep his place.

I thought we were very unlucky not to win. I was angry with Warnock but he took a lot of stick off the fans who were singing warnock for england and jeering him.

On the official history DVD of Aston Villa Saunders was talking about a player that the fans didn't warm to think it was McNaught and he said it was his job to put his back in the way take the flack and protect the player.

Well it's time for McLeish to do that. and rest him for a few games.

I remember when he got the job McLeish said he's not scared of making the big decisions. Well he's got to do something about players who are out of form.

I thought Keiren Clark was poor aswell today. Ireland Keane and N'Zog link up brilliantly.

So thats two draws at home now to stop the rot so is kinda progress so maybe we have turned the corner. Whoever's next at Villa Park better watch out......oh shlt!!

few things that made me laugh;

at 2-0 everyone suggesting The_Steve was insane for saying we were still in the game, laughing at him and claiming he was 'on a wind up'.

CI saying "predictable draw" at the end of the match thread. you had better have been joking.

anyway

sort out the defence and we're a good side. and i can't believe some of the referees decisions, i feel like we've been mugged.

Looked a brilliant side after we went 2-0 down. The defence really needs to stop gifting goals to the opposition, we did it at Arsenal on sunday, and did it again today! Did anyone else see McLeish give Warnock a very public bollocking on the 20th minute? It was one of those "I want the ground to open up and swallow me" moments, it was fierce.... The look on Warnocks face was priceless (I think it was because he wasn't getting down the left wing at all for the first 20 minutes). Being one of his harshest critics, I do feel sorry for Eck, the constant shouting at the team to get forward (if you can tell, I sit near the dugout), the look on his face (that of despair) when someone passed the ball back to Given from the half way line in the first half, funny didn't seem to happen as much tonight, with the ball only going back when it was needed. Much more attacking performance than usual, and very unlucky not to win. And what was the ref on? I think he thought we where playing basketball or something. The handball in the first half, well it was a double one, arm raised, but we got the ball back and the resulting cross was handled as well. Couldn't see the ones in the 2nd half that clearly, but by the sounds of it, one was blatant. We keep playing like we did in the 2nd half, then the win at home will come again. We just need to stop gifiting goals! Zoggy looked dangerous as soon as he got his goal, Ireland was class again and Keane gave us a different dimension.

Just got back from the game and from 35 minutes onwards it was a joy to watch.

Who exactly were they supposed to be missing through injury? Other than Faurlin, I can't think of many 1st teamers who were out. Especially when you consider we were missing, Gabby, Herd, Albrighton, Collins.

Going forward, we were great for the full 90 minutes. Hit the bar, loads of shots, I counted 5 penalty shouts - good ones.

Defensively we were awful for the first half hour but then became more solid as the game wore on.

On a sad note

I dont get down to Villa Park very often but for the 1st time I felt uncomfortable in the crowd.

10 minutes in a ball comes over and Alan Hutton does exactly the right thing - clear the ball. He clearly didnt get a shout or know what was behind him so he put it behind for a corner. Bang - crowd on his back!!

Warnock makes a howler. Like every human being does. Ok, we know hes not good enough, but booing him????? Fair play for him getting his head up and putting in a solid 2nd half display.

What ever you say about those two, they never shy away from a challenge and never give up.

Overall though, good game that we were very unlucky not to win.

UTV

Unbelievably unlucky today. Both their goals from a massive deflection off a defender and an inexplicable own goal.

We absolutely battered them and had 2-3 clear penalties waved away and had numerous shots deflected onto the woodwork, not quite sitting for players etc. It was simply force of will and not giving up that we managed to secure a point.

It was not a victory but surely it will give the players the confidence and the desire to put some passion into their job. With Ireland, Zog and Keane we have the creativity to unlock defences if we play positively enough. But as McLeish pointed out, it's getting them to turn it on for the whole match, not just 50 minutes.

I'm pretty annoyed if I'm honest. Yes I know we fought back well in the second half and were unlucky not to win but what pisses me off is that we played so poorly in the first half. Why do we have to go 2-0 down before we stop playing like a Sunday league team and start attacking? This draw merely papers over the gaping cracks.

Our home form is particularly disturbing.

This draw merely papers over the gaping cracks.

And the 23 shots at goal?

And the shit defence that gifts the opposition ridiculously silly goals almost weekly?

I'm gonna try and deny that we didn't batter them today. However, at the end of the day we still only drew. Why did we have to go 2-0 down before we actually started playing? If we played how we did in the second half (that is, attacking) in the first half then we probably would've won.

they had three chances, scored two of them and one in 2nd hald at 1-2 that went across our 6 yard box and someone missed a tap in. the reason we passed from the back??? cuellar not collins. composed, looks for passes inside and didnt miss a tackle tonight, def my MOTM. hutton bar a couple of over hit crosses wasnt bad at all but the big problem (bar keane) is noone knows how to look for space.

especially in first half, we had nzog, ireland keane and bent all in about 10 yards of each other. either nzog was following a bizarre tactic to get in everyine elses way or he is scared of the touchline. we were too narrow and lacking movement but keane makes a huge difference and is bringing out the creative side of ireland who finally has another footballer to pass to.

good game, shouldve won, they were awful - reminded me of cska at home two years ago when it was there first game after a winter break - totally rusty and took only chance. they should go down if it wasnt for worse teams

Couldn't see the match. Middle of the work day here, not televised. But I read the entire match thread and the post match comments.

So, those negative nellies that insist on seeing everything as a disaster and everything as McLeish's fault. Do you think he told them to sit back and hoof and protect the one goal defecit? Some idiot actually suggested it on the match thread.

Horrible start, well done to the lads and the manager for turning it around. Looking forward to more of the potential showed by all today.

UTV

I've been a villa fan and season ticket/card holder for as long as i can remember, yet today was my darkest day as a fan. how can a average team (imo) play so well (bar a couple of defensive **** ups be booed of the park?important going to stick to going away thankyou, the home/armchair/agenda ridden fan don't deserve anything.

Its the managers fault the defense are shit i hear you say. Hutton! Is he any worse a right back than Craig Gardner or reo both of whom after year upon year our messiah thought were right backs. warnock! No ashley Cole but who else is there? Because Clark did a fantastic job there against wolves, delph? Behave. we have no one. buy someone then! We have no money. but **** it thets murder mcliesh

I've been a villa fan and season ticket/card holder for as long as i can remember, yet today was my darkest day as a fan. how can a average team (imo) play so well (bar a couple of defensive **** ups be booed of the park?important going to stick to going away thankyou, the home/armchair/agenda ridden fan don't deserve anything.

How does that makes sense?

You say that the armchair fans booed the players off the park? How did they manage that.

The second half was as well as I've seen us play in a fair old while and we could have won that one by a good couple of goals.

We've got a mistake in us and we're likely to concede stupid goals at stupid times, but we're looking brighter going forwards and keeping the ball a lot better - Keane should take some credit for some of that.

Whisper it, but we're also on the verge of being entertaining to watch.

Shame we couldn't win it, I think we thoroughly deserved to, but I'm pleased with the performance, especially in the second half.

Results don't really matter much now so I've written this season off and am looking at performance - this was a good one.

Â