Relegation - Merged

Amo69

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a theme running through this thread since the first page, in which people identify a remote possibility (Villa getting very few if any points from their remaining matches, while three out of five of our relegation rivals suddenly start picking up loads of points, including against the top 6 sides who are scrapping amongst each other for top 4 places) and leap to the assumption that it is almost certain to happen.

Sorry Gabby0878, but your post just happened to demonstrate that tendency very clearly, so I highlighted it.

I've been clear from the start that, although the possibilty of relegation is very unlikely, McLeish is so awful a manager that he will take us damned close to it. And so he has. And indeed, he still might get us there.

But it will still require an extraordinary turn of events, probably including QPR beating Man C on the last day of the season. Stranger things have happened but that isn't any justification for saying it could easily happen.

The shame is that with a little more positive football earlier in the season, we could have scraped an extra 3 or 4 points from the 36 matches we have played so far and we would be clear of relegation worries.

Pretty much this, but I think we could easily have picked up 10-12 points, had we finished off teams when we ontop but instead ended up drawing, i.e. QPR home and away, Newcastle at home, Wolves at home, Swansea away, Blackburn away, Everton at home, the list goes on...

Or, on the flip side, we could have just beat Bolton at home and ended pretty much any chance of them over taking us.

so if city draw/lose vs newcastle on sunday they will give up vs QPR?

really cant see it, after watching them vs chelsea i cant see anything other than QPR losing by around 5

I agree but for some reason others think that QPR will become one of the best teams in Europe overnight ;-)

might be city have already won the title though before the last day. at very best it's tempting fate to say that it's impossible that qprwill get a point at the etihad...

I do remember a few years ago that Man U had won the title and on the last day lost to West Ham, which kept them up at the time. I`sure there are some stats freaks who will know something about this, was back when Redknapp was manager, and Di Canio was still a young and uninspired Faschist.....

so if city draw/lose vs newcastle on sunday they will give up vs QPR?

really cant see it, after watching them vs chelsea i cant see anything other than QPR losing by around 5

I agree but for some reason others think that QPR will become one of the best teams in Europe overnight ;-)

might be city have already won the title though before the last day. at very best it's tempting fate to say that it's impossible that qprwill get a point at the etihad...

I do remember a few years ago that Man U had won the title and on the last day lost to West Ham, which kept them up at the time. I`sure there are some stats freaks who will know something about this, was back when Redknapp was manager, and Di Canio was still a young and uninspired Faschist.....

Not that long ago. 5 years:

http://tinyurl.com/7qmyer5

Really only down to our own shortcommings, we lost a lot of points through late goals, which indicates players being physicaly or mentaly tired towards the end. Silly really, but I have not found our players to be particularly athletic in the later stages of many games this season. Lucky the quality of our youth academy has given us the quality to deal with our obvious lackings (just...... So far). set pieces one of the reasons we never seem to score from them, and it gets right on my nerves, us so dangerous, and there used to be a certain tension in the air when we got a free kick, or corner.

Sorrry, rambling here, late shift.....

I'm still worried - it's not over yet.

If we lose both games, Bolton beat West Brom and draw at Stoke and QPR beat Stoke and draw at Man City - we're down.

Could happen, so I'm far from happy. Hopefully I'll be a bit happier tomorrow evening but I think it's going to come down to the last game of the season.

Of course, both Bolton and QPR go into this weekend knowing only too well they have to win. Not easy, I'd say, given the Boggies are'nt the pushover they usually are and Stoke are......well, just Stoke.

Lets hope the nerves and the thought of having to face trips to Man City and Stoke respectively (and get a result) prove to be their undoing today.

Why does it seem that people think that QPR and BOLTON will suddenly become world beaters on the last game of the season and IF thats they both win their games at the weekend.

Because it's sod's law.

Sod's law means that the most unfortunate things happen to the beholder.

Except it's bullshit and the most likely occurrence always happens, due to it being the most likely occurrence.

Sod's law and other related interpretations are the natural manifestation of the human psyche's desperation to make random events into a pattern and create order.

Thanks for calling my sarcasm ‘heavy handed’, I forgot so many pseudo-intellectuals hang out on Villatalk. What are you some comedy critic? Your obviously a real laugh, that’s for sure.

*You're

I'm still worried - it's not over yet.

If we lose both games, Bolton beat West Brom and draw at Stoke and QPR beat Stoke and draw at Man City - we're down.

Could happen, so I'm far from happy. Hopefully I'll be a bit happier tomorrow evening but I think it's going to come down to the last game of the season.

What makes you think they are both realistically going to get 4 points in their next two games and us get none?

Ii just cannot see it happening either way tbh.

Because of the GD and the fact QPR have Man City away last game of the season I think we will stay up. However, anything really can happen and I do not for one minute fancy us to get any points from those last 2 games.

Norwich had nothing but pride to play for today, against a team chasing third place. Look how they fought. We have not showed a lot of fight this season and I really think we will lose that game next week. I just hope Newcastle don't turn Man City over because I fear for our safety if Man City are not 100% up for it next week.

Also, who can recall loads of fans on here saying that the relegation teams won't get anywhere near last season's tally? It is looking very possible that the team finishing 3rd bottom will have got to 37 points, again proving that the teams at the very bottom have shown a lot of fight.

I really hope we fight for at least a point tomorrow against Spurs. I cannot see Man City losing to QPR next week so I really want us to be in a position where they cannot survive with a draw!

Things are about to get worse before they get better

So prepare yourselves

You don't half talk some rubbish sometimes. What does that even mean?

Are you stating that we're definitely going to be relegated in your opinion, despite that facts are on our side like QPR's poor away record and Man City's amazing home form this season? Add to that that QPR will also need to pick up points from their other game which isn't a given and Bolton will too. It's all still up in the air at the moment, no-one knows what will happen but it's looking more favorable that we'll stay up than go down so stop being such a drama-queen.

In five minutes you'll have changed your opinion anyway.

So prepare yourselves

Are you stating that we're definitely going to be relegated in your opinion, despite that facts are on our side like QPR's poor away record and Man City's amazing home form this season? Add to that that QPR will also need to pick up points from their other game which isn't a given and Bolton will too. It's all still up in the air at the moment, no-one knows what will happen but it's looking more favorable that we'll stay up than go down so stop being such a drama-queen.

Its provocative. Gets the people goin'

So prepare yourselves

I think he is trying to say that we will probably lose to Spurs and both Bolton and QPR may win so will be level on points with them. Even though QPR will probably not get anything from Man City away it will still look worse after this weekends fixtures before it gets better (hopefully) after next weekend when we will be safe.

Well if that's what he meant then fair enough I suppose. I don't think Bolton will trounce West Brom and I'm not totally confident QPR will beat Stoke either however. We'll just have to wait and see. I just don't appreciate the doom-mongering.

You have to truly be a pessimist to think we will still go down, even if we don't get another point.

QPR aren't going to get a point at City, and even if they do, they're going to need to beat Stoke and by three goals and hope we get thrashed by someone.

Please stop worrying. I suspect we'll probably get a point at Norwich in any case - it's the sort of game we'll go 1-0 up and throw away.

You have to truly be a pessimist to think we will still go down, even if we don't get another point.

QPR aren't going to get a point at City, and even if they do, they're going to need to beat Stoke and by three goals and hope we get thrashed by someone.

Please stop worrying. I suspect we'll probably get a point at Norwich in any case - it's the sort of game we'll go 1-0 up and throw away.

No they won't. If we fail to get a point out of our last two games and QPR win one and draw one they'll be above us regardless of the scores.

So prepare yourselves

:lol:

Its nostradamus! 2 line prophecies that never usually happen! :D

So prepare yourselves

CI probably means we could be level on points with Bolton and QPR going into the last game.

I could see that happening tbh. Can't see us getting anything against Spurs and QPR and Bolton have very winnable home games.