• Cuéllar
    • Ireland
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Keane
    • Gardner (for Agbonlahor 71)
    • Bannan (for Petrov 82)

At least by losing at Arsenal we have possibly been spared the indignity and embarrassment of being beaten in the next round by a MON inspired Blunderland.

Haha i thought this too, it was either that or risk losing to boro and having to put up with my mate gloating. for me a replay would of been the worst result.

Yea, a replay would have been the worst result for me too. I would have had to fork out money for a match ticket to see us get done at home again.

At least now I save some money.

Gutted, **** gutted.

Ireland definite MOTM playing out of position and had a really good game.

Not much else to say, two poor tackles and a huge slice of luck. We should not be told to sit back on leads and the blame for that lies with the manager but there is nothing he can do about suicidal defending, what was Hutton thinking with that 'clearance'?!

Same old, at least we can concentrate on the league now.............

Yes on trying not to be relegated.

Felt as sick as when Van Nis scored to beat us 2-3 in the cup. Up by two and still lost the game. **** typical!

Very simple.

Board with not enough money = : -

- Get rid of one of the best managers around.

- sell best players, attract none.

- Appoint average manager with limited capabilities.

- decreased wages

- put all eggs in a basket and relay on a few promising but highly overated players who are nowhere near going to be the next Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and Rio ect ect.

- Unsatisfacroty transfers if lucky.

Put all the above together and you have the recipe for AVFC.

-

the changing face of football, the haves and have nots

we are not alone, just look at Everton, Blackburn, Newcastle, no-one can afford to spend the same as before. We are in a global recession - wanking millions on footballers with god complexes and very average talent is not sustainable.

Football can no longer be the overblown vanity project it once was.

Eck may not be the best but he's not the worse, he is trying to get the best out of what he has and what he has isn't that impressive.

The first half was an illustration of the kind of performances I was hoping McLeish would be able to mastermind for us in tough matches. Strong defensively and capable of nicking goals despite not having a great deal of possession. The second half was same old... laughable individual errors and no strategy for trying to score goals.

Came out second half with "WE ARE GONNA LOSE" tattoed across their foreheads. They needed to be ready for the inevitable onslaught but looked like rabbits in the headlights. Tactical failure again - a decent coaching team would have had them prepared for what Arsenal would throw at us and would have had a tactical answer. We didn't ...... FAIL !

Positives

- Given was very good.

- Cuellar showed he is by far and away the best defender at the club.

- Ireland is recapturing his best form and needs someone to play alongside.

Negatives

- Our manager hasn't got a clue. The team was actually doing well first half. Arsenal dominated possession BUT we dominated chances. They came out second half with their tails up though and McLeish should have responded. We needed an extra CM'er to match up to theirs and to try and get some possession. Keane should have been sacrificed for Gardner. I also think Petrov was tired and should have gone for Albie on 60 switching Ireland inside. But McLeish just doesn't have the tactical ability to make these big decisions and take of players on big wages.

We needed an extra CM'er to match up to theirs and to try and get some possession. Keane should have been sacrificed for Gardner.

My thoughts exactly, though I was thinking take Bent off for either Gardner or Bannan. Bent had done his job and what we needed most was possession to keep the pressure off and an extra body in the middle to slow down Arsenal's attack after we invariably hoofed it right to them or gave it away cheaply via Hutton. Keane can come deeper to help link up and Gabby can run off the shoulders of the CBs and both can score. Bent couldn't give us what we were likely to need most and others could potentially give us what he had to offer if we ended up needing it.

You have to think the team came out in the second half already KNOWING they'd end up losing.

If a Premier League club with aspirations to improve cannot hold a 2 goal lead for 45 minutes, they should just concede defeat before kickoff and spare everyone the trouble.

On what possible basis can you assume that? None of us have any idea about the respective team talks. We were 2-0 it made sense to carry on with the same game plan. It was silly mistakes against Arsenal. This wasn't again Wigan for **** sake.

Exactly my point. Considering we have a hard time holding on to leads against even mediocre sides, and confidence isn't particularly high lately, it doesn't surprise me that they coughed up 3 goals in the span of 8 minutes to lose the game against Arsenal away.

They probably came out nervous and afraid to give up soft goals the second half......and look what happened....

**** me I swear 95% of villa fans are only happy when they've got something to moan snout. On negative tactics, we play exactly the same now as we did.under his.holiness Mr oneill. We just don't defend as well. We had.a patched up midfield with zog and alby injured,its no surprise arsenal pasted us. We urgently need a new centre half, a battler and comander, mayby huth from stoke

You are absolutely correct we do play exactly the same as under O'Neill.

NO **** POSSESSION.

But yet under him we managed to win games like this. Go figure!] Because 3 seasons ago we had a back four of cuellar melberg laursen warnock, young milner Barry downing in midfield and carew and gabby up front. We won because we had a far superiour team then to the wasters we have atm.

Downing and Barry were never at the club together and I'm not sure Melberg and Cuellar were either but I understand your point.

We still have no winning mentality at the club. No matter who we choose as manager, or who we sign, we always seem to be on the wrong end of results like these.

We simply must have a new blueprint in the summer so that at least all our staff at the club and i mean from players and manager to the tea lady have a mental toughness to hurt like hell when we lose, very much like the fans!

Someone once said 'you show me a good loser and i'll show you a loser!' That has typified us for far too long.

I will remember the scenes at half-time fondly, and the maddening celebrations that came with the second goal - I'm wearing the bruises today, having done a backwards somersault over the seat in front of me :lol: The rest of the match, I hope, will become hazy and forgotten in the next week or two.

the changing face of football, the haves and have nots

we are not alone, just look at Everton, Blackburn, Newcastle, no-one can afford to spend the same as before. We are in a global recession - pulling the Pope's cap off millions on footballers with god complexes and very average talent is not sustainable.

Football can no longer be the overblown vanity project it once was.

Eck may not be the best but he's not the worse, he is trying to get the best out of what he has and what he has isn't that impressive.

Spot on - we thought Randy was the saviour - in reality we are probably in same position now as if Doug was still in charge. Think we have to accept where we are at the moment, give Eck another year and enjoy supporting the Villa. As others have said at least saved us going out to Sunderland!

And if anyone has videos of half time yesterday post them up as was a good laugh from what I remember!

Â