Joy Division meets Mickey Mouse

PauloBarnesi

Disney is now selling a Mickey Mouse T-shirt on its webstore inspired by-- no **** joke-- Joy Division. (Thanks to WPRB DJ Maria T. Sciarrino for pointing it out.)

The listing on the Disney Store website reads: "Inspired by the iconic sleeve of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures album, this Waves Mickey Mouse Tee incorporates Mickey's image within the graphic of the pulse of a star. That's appropriate given few stars have made bigger waves than Mickey!" The shirt is "created especially for Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort." We are not making this up.

Uhhhhhhhhh.... Does Disney know that the singer of this band hanged himself?! Do they know where the name "Joy Division" comes from?! Do they know how stupid this guy looks wearing this T-shirt?:

Unbelievable. Soon not to be seen the Big Country Donald Duck Hoodie, or quilte Queen jacket

3e26f295.jpeg

7505002523769-1.jpeg

As mentioned yesterday, Disney has created a Joy Division-inspired t-shirt that blends Mickey Mouse's likeness with the cover image from Unknown Pleasures. (And it's now sold out!)

MTV Hive spoke with former Joy Division/New Order bassist Peter Hook about the shirt. They asked if Hook knew if Disney had worked with anyone from the Joy Division/New Order camp on the shirt. He told MTV, "Not to my knowledge. Since the others don't talk to me I wouldn't know." He added, "I have seen a lot of Mickey Mouse t-shirts in my time. But I have to say this is probably the best... I hope that [Disney] will be as understanding when we start doing Donald Duck shirts."

When approached by Pitchfork, the remaining members of New Order declined to comment. But we are told that they were not involved in the creation of the shirt.

When I read this story yesterday they mentioned that the description of the short no longer referenced Joy Divison at all, having originally done so.

I'm slightly bewildered why they thought that that album was something to associate with - the only thing less Disney than it is it's follow up. And its not like they don't know it's Joy Divison either.

I'm slightly bewildered why they thought that that album was something to associate with

wasn't Walt anti-Semitic .. thus the association with Joy Division could fit rather well *

* the name and it's association , not the band

bit of luck Mickey Mouse can rerecord lead vocals and improve the Joy Division songs a bit as well

runs for cover .....

:nod: It's not just me, then. :lol:

i see what you did there :-)

I'm slightly bewildered why they thought that that album was something to associate with

wasn't Walt anti-Semitic .. thus the association with Joy Division could fit rather well *

* the name and it's association , not the band

Ha, hadn't thought of that. Appropriate after all, add it to the Disney Subliminal Evils File.

I wouldn't want to think of it as a DeadMau5 shirt either for that matter, because I'm not into samey shit electro.

I don't know why Joy Division have this reputation of having fans that look moody all the time and are misunderstood poets. It might have been the case then, but time has moved on...

Â