Jose Mourinho

maqroll

What English Club Will "The Special One" Manage?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What English Club Will "The Special One" Manage?

• Chelsea
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • Arsenal
    • Other

I'd like to see him take over a club without having a load of dosh to spend. His Porto team was excellent, and it is still his finest hour. So I'd like to see him do that again, rather than go to another club with excellent players and a generous budget.

There's a Premiership club, I forget what they're called, who are seen as underachieving at the moment.. with a bit of money to spend but not massive budget. Fans seem to want their manager replaced so maybe Mourinho should look at going there as a challenge.

I don't think his record can really be argued with so far. Best ever? Tricky to judge as there's obviously Fergie who has done it consistently for so many seasons. If Mourinho can continue having the effect he's having for a further 20 years then he will really go down as one of the greats.

Mourinho will always be very different to Fergie though. I can't see Mourinho staying at one club for more than 4-5 years. He goes somewhere, has an impact, moves on. It's hard to say whether he'll continue to be successful if he was to stay at one club the same length of time as Fergie has. Likewise though it's impossible to judge whether Ferguson would be able to go to the likes of Milan and Madrid and win titles and Champions Leagues within 2 seasons.

You can't really say that winning the title with Real Madrid is 'easy'. Bare in mind this would be their first title since 2008.

I'd like to see him take over a club without having a load of dosh to spend. His Porto team was excellent, and it is still his finest hour. So I'd like to see him do that again, rather than go to another club with excellent players and a generous budget.

Why would he have to though? Because of his incredible success over the last ten years, Jose has put himself in a position where he can pick and choose where he works. The clubs with the biggest ambitions and most money are falling over themselves to get him in when he becomes available because he has proven time and again he can work with big budgets and under huge pressure.

Of course, he's earnt his way to the top, but I'd just like to see him do it with a different size of club. He doesn't need to prove anything, it would just be good to see.

Basically, I just want him at Villa. One can dream :(

If he wins the league/CL this season I think he'll go. Although the team that wants him will have a hell of a lot to pay to get him in.

As Rev says he has earned the right not to have to do that.

Its akin to saying lets stick Messi in the Torquay United and let him prove how good he is.

There are lots of clubs with lots of money and lots of managers spending it but few if any have got close to the level of achievement of Mourinho who is a giant of the game in terms of his record.

Has anyone ?

Fegie has spent fortunes at Man U , Wenger has spent at Arse , Mancini at city Redknapp at spuds etc ... Arguably even Clough spent big money , first £1m transfer if I recall

Mourinho spends money but also delivers

I just don't like the inevitability of it. What's that? A big club with a lot of money that needs to get over the line? Get Mourinho!

Yes, it's all impressive and he's an excellent manager, but I'd like to see him have a crack at it with a (relatively) smaller club. For example I'd like to see him at Spurs. Will it happen? Unlikely, but it would be interesting to see if he can repeat his Porto sucess with a club that doesn't have almost infinite resources.

Am I the only one that would like that?

I would like to see him manage Portugal.

It's not that hard to win the title with Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan or Real Madrid.

Much harder to win a trophy with Portugal (considering they have never won a trophy in their history.)

I would like to see him manage Portugal.

It's not that hard to win the title with Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan or Real Madrid.

Much harder to win a trophy with Portugal (considering they have never won a trophy in their history.)

To be fair he won the champions league with Inter and Porto.

Head to head, his short time in England stacks up fairly well compared to Fergie:

Mourinho (2004-2007)

Premier League: (2) 2004–05, 2005–06

FA Cup : (1) 2006–07

Football League Cup: (2) 2004–05, 2006–07

Alex Ferguson (2004-2007)

Premier League (1) 2006–07,

League Cup (1) 2005–06,

in fairness was against an old United team with Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and Neville still playing plus Fergie had a nightmare couple of windows with Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Bellion etc

I think he's done an amazing job everywhere.

To win back-to-back league titles with Porto may not be considered hugely impressive. But he also won back-to-back trophies in Europe. Their first ever UEFA Cup and then winning the European Cup with a club like Porto in this age is incredible. 2002/03 was the frst ever Portugese treble.

Chelsea hadn't won the league in forever and he won back-to-back titles there, as well as domestic cups. I believe he set many records in the league as well. I could be wrong, but most points gained, least goals conceeded were 2 of them.

At Inter back-to-back titles, again, may not be considered as brilliant, but for the longest time Inter really have been considered as a joke in Europe. He made a profit on transfers during the 2009/10 season, yet completed the first ever Italian treble.

At Madrid he's up against arguably one of the top 3 club sides of all time and he's 6 points away from winning the title there too after already beating them in the Cup Final last year.

• 9 months later...

Yup, saw it a couple of months back, pretty interesting.

Also heard (on Football Weekly) that Pedro Pinto had done a big interview with Mourinho.

I'm sure it's out there already, but would be worth a look (I'd forgotten about it until I saw this thread pop back to the top of the forum)

Â