New Music 2012

Xann

Then to finish on a high, maybe listen to your fridge for a couple of hours. :)
Or a de-tuned radio.

I've been listening to First Aid Kit's new album (and their last one) - Immaculate Swedish pop harmonies. Nice.

Then to finish on a high, maybe listen to your fridge for a couple of hours. :)
Or a de-tuned radio.

I've been listening to First Aid Kit's new album (and their last one) - Immaculate Swedish pop harmonies. Nice.

Purchased it on thursday Pete, but it ain't arrived yet :( (i'm still very much a CD man at heart). Listened to a couple of tracks already though, and it's beautiful stuff.

New Tomahawk, Ufomammut, and Zomes I'm looking forward to. Anything/everything associated wirh Alicia Merz of Birds of Passage fame, who was my absololoute favourite disocvery of last year, well, actually, a very long while. And hopefully to top finish of the year, if it arrives then,. Throbbing Gristle's final report - Desertshore

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stalking Horse debut album 'Specters' is now available for pre-order, with the juicy bonus of instant download!

532216954-1.jpg

Solo project of former This Et Al frontman Neil 'Wu' Widdop, you can download Heathen Head, Howling Heart as a free taster.

Speaking of free tasters, You Slut! have made Magnifiererer available for download, taken from their forthcoming second album 'Medium Bastard'.

• 1 month later...

My cup runeth over with new albums of late...

Hawk Eyes - Ideas

Hawk-Eyes-Ideas1-300x300.jpg

Second album from the lads formerly known as Chickenhawk, 'tis a bit lighter in places than their previous offering but still arse-tearingly rifftastic and good fun.

Mutiny On The Bounty - Trials

Trials.jpg

Been waiting ages for this, the Luxembourgeois' debut album is one of my all-time favourites but on the first few listens this follow-up has fallen a bit flat. They've seemingly lost the rawness that set them apart from A.N.other math-rock band, and none of the tracks have jumped out and grabbed me yet. I'll persevere, but this is the first major disappointment of the year for me. :(

You Slut! - Medium Bastard

you-slut-medium-bastard.jpg

I've been counting the days until this, and to my glee it arrived just before my recent holiday so I had plenty of time to digest it on the train. Every bit as good as I hoped it would be, there's a clear shift away from the 'jazzier' tones of earlier work to a more melodic sound but thankfully none of the inventiveness is lost.

Islet - Illuminated People

Islet-Illuminated-People-300x300.jpg

Occasionally, I like to play HMV Lucky Dip which (unsurprisingly) involves finding a decent sized branch, thumbing through the entire A-Z of their "Rock & Pop" section and buying one album from an artist that I know absolutely nothing about and have never heard anything from. The final choice generally boils down to if I like the name of the act or the cover art is quite cool, and thus far has only put me wrong once (queue a hasty refund on The Wombats :oops:). This was one such purchase, and fortunately has proved a resounding success. Eerie in places, bouncy as **** in others, along the School Of Seven Bells/Gang Gang Dance vein. Basically, right up my bloody street.

Â