New Music 2012

Xann

New Japandroids, new Mutiny On The Bounty, new Pulled Apart By Horses, new The Longcut, finally the You Slut! debut proper will be seeing the light of day, new (ish) Three Trapped Tigers... oh, and the small matter of At The Drive-In reforming.

2012; The year of **** YEAH.

Cheers for the heads up (particularly interested the Japandroids and Pulled Apart by Horses releases) :thumb:

hahahaa, I'll have it!

New albums from Joe Walsh (after 20 years!) and Springsteen are more up my street (the new Smile boxset is magnificent by the way!)

I wouldn't have even opened this thread, but I was surprised to see Rob posting in it, so I had a look out of curiosity.

I must admit that Gareth's massive enthusiasm for a whole stable of bands I've never remotely heard of does intrigue me a little.

Then to finish on a high, maybe listen to your fridge for a couple of hours.

Ah, fridgecore. I'm a big fan. Smeg have been making some wonderful stuff over the years, though I'm also partial to a bit of Bosch.

What are the genres of your new music Gareth?

See, there's only two answers I can give here and they both make me sound like a complete tw*t. So thanks for that. :)

Tw*ttish answer #1 (aka the answer an up-their-own-arse Drowned In Sound forum poster would give)

• I don't like to shoehorn music into "genres" in the broad sense.

Tw*ttish answer #2 (aka the answer a frothing-at-the-mouth, NME-journo-word removed would give)
  • •Japandroids - Richly textured, highly energetic walls of sound that can be seen from outer space.
    •Mutiny On The Bounty - The best math rock Luxembourg has to offer (probably, I don't know any other bands from Luxembourg).
    •Pulled Apart By Horses - Cerebral punk rock with riffs big enough to make Godzilla tremble.
    •You Slut! - the jazzier side of instrumental math rock.
    •Three Trapped Tigers - undefinable as anything other then "music for the sun to go nova to".

:lol:

I like answer #2. you pompous clearing in the woods

On that basis I think I'll give You Slut!! a listen and maybe TTT, though quite what 'Math Rock' is, I don't know. Maybe it's right up my street.

Well, I'm lifting the math rock definition from Wiki as I don't wish to incriminate myself further... :P

Wiki"]Math rock is a rhythmically complex guitar-based style of experimental rock that emerged in the 1980s and that was very influenced by progressive rock like King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Henry Cow - and 20th century composers such as Steve Reich and John Cage. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords.

Math rock shares its place of origin in the late 80s underground music scene of the American Midwest. Some earlier bands have characteristics of both math rock and post-rock, using instruments for textures rather than melodies and riffs, featuring atypical rhythms and some dissonance. The genres soon diverged: math rock concentrated on angular melodies, atypical time signatures, start-stop rhythms, and dissonance, while staying closer to rock music in sound and instrumentation. Post-rock, on the other hand, concentrated on heavy use of dynamics, creating soundscapes, and expanded the variety of instruments used, used a jazzier drumming style, and incorporated elements of shoegaze music.

You Slut!'s finest work:

Same for Three Trapped Tigers:

Â