Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

Well Lawrenson has predicted an Arsenal win, no matter what side Wenger picks.

So we have a chance! :D

I always get happy when he predicts a loss for us aswell. :lol:

To be fair to him, I saw what the table would look like based on his predictions (may have been linked on VT somewhere) and he had us on the exact points and the exact goal difference. The only team who wasn't only one or two positions different from the real table was Wolves...they were about 6th :?

this is the view from the arsenal site http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/talking-heads-arsenal-v-aston-villa

DAN ROEBUCK, COMMENTATOR

It's time to forget about the recent Premier League disappointments and focus on a competition that Arsenal have as good a chance of winning as anybody. For me there is absolutely no reason why they cannot go all the way, with Manchester City already out and one of Liverpool or Manchester United set to follow. Onto the game, Arsenal may be boosted by the possible returns of Mikel Arteta and Francis Coquelin. Both have been missed one way or another, Arteta in particular in that midfield area. It's certainly been a case of not knowing what you have until it's gone with him. Either way, this is an excellent opportunity for Arsenal to get back on track and put themselves in the hat for the last 16. Villa are no pushovers, as they demonstrated perfectly in their own back yard in December, but I think Arsenal will have too much for them again.

STEPHEN HUGHES, CO-COMMENTATOR

Regardless of the competition, Sunday is a massive game because Arsenal have to regain some of the confidence lost by virtue of those three league defeats. Arsène Wenger has used the FA Cup to rotate his squad in the past and he might be tempted to do so again with a Premier League trip to Bolton on the horizon, but I hope he plays his strongest available XI. I love the FA Cup and have some great memories of it and it's well within Arsenal's reach this year with Man City and either Liverpool or Man United certain to be out by the fifth round. All the same, Villa are tough in-form opposition and let's not forget they won at the Emirates last season.

JAMES McNICHOLAS, GUNNERBLOG

For Arsenal fans, the fourth round of the FA Cup will provide some respite from our poor league form. It also presents us with our most realistic path to a trophy this season. The jeopardy surrounding our qualification for next season's Champions League has put the six-year quest for silverware on the back-burner, but we're now just four wins from a major final. With that in mind, I expect us to field a strong team, although the forthcoming visit to Bolton in midweek might encourage Arsène Wenger to give Robin van Persie a rest - particularly if Thierry Henry is fit to start. Aston Villa will provide a stern test for an Arsenal side low on confidence, but I think the home draw will work in our favour and that we'll progress to the fifth round

Well Lawrenson has predicted an Arsenal win, no matter what side Wenger picks.

So we have a chance! :D

I always get happy when he predicts a loss for us aswell. :lol:

To be fair to him, I saw what the table would look like based on his predictions (may have been linked on VT somewhere) and he had us on the exact points and the exact goal difference. The only team who wasn't only one or two positions different from the real table was Wolves...they were about 6th :?

He has his beloved Liverpool in 5th with 10 extra points. He has us on 23 points.

The current unrest amongst Arsenal fans will hopefully benefit us. Not that the Emirates has much of an atmosphere anyway but Sunday could be a lot quieter than usual until Wenger does something questionable and the supporters get on his back. If we can get an early goal or hold them out till the middle of the second half things could get interesting.

I genuinely feel that Ireland's form, Gardener and although slightly erratic the form of Albrighton does mean we have reasons to feel cheerful and i do rate Clark in midfield. But we still don't have the attacking cohesion yet to score a lot of goals.

Especially seeing as our defence is a joke, and i hate to go on the bandwagon of slagging off the back four but they are atrocious and have been poor for a long time even before McCleish was around to make matters seemingly worse or not depend on what your opinion is.

But we have the reality that Cuellar wants to leave in Jan but is likely to leave in the Summer and has little chance of starting tomorrow and no-one else to replace Collins, Dunne or Warnock.

you get the feeling no matter how bad Arsenal are, our defence will soon give the Arsenal strikers their confidence back with a few goals handed on a plate. I don't rate Hutton or Collins but i have always defended Dunne and Warnock but somehow collectively the four of them are a recipe for disaster and i don't know how the likes of Gabby, Petrov and co feel about all their efforts getting ultimately obliterated every game by the same pub defending every game!

I genuinely feel that Ireland's form, Gardener and although slightly erratic the form of Albrighton does mean we have reasons to feel cheerful and i do rate Clark in midfield. But we still don't have the attacking cohesion yet to score a lot of goals.

Especially seeing as our defence is a joke, and i hate to go on the bandwagon of slagging off the back four but they are atrocious and have been poor for a long time even before McCleish was around to make matters seemingly worse or not depend on what your opinion is.

But we have the reality that Cuellar wants to leave in Jan but is likely to leave in the Summer and has little chance of starting tomorrow and no-one else to replace Collins, Dunne or Warnock.

you get the feeling no matter how bad Arsenal are, our defence will soon give the Arsenal strikers their confidence back with a few goals handed on a plate. I don't rate Hutton or Collins but i have always defended Dunne and Warnock but somehow collectively the four of them are a recipe for disaster and i don't know how the likes of Gabby, Petrov and co feel about all their efforts getting ultimately obliterated every game by the same pub defending every game!

So true, particularly with regards to the defence. It's bizarre. As shit as our defence is, I don't expect them to let 6 goals in every game. However, you can bank on them letting in at least 2 goals a game, almost all of which are soft ones.

We can win this one for sure. The pressure is on Wenger at the moment without doubt. The glory fans of the gunners are starting to turn, the longer we can hold them for the more the crowd will trun against them.

We still need to do our bit.

Team selection: AM can not afforf to F--K ugain, that means no Hutton at right back presuming CC is fit. Warnock needs to be played at left back and stick with him. Pack the midfield out with 5 of them. Bent up front.

Does any one know if RVP will be playing and what there likely lineup will be...?

Honestly dont know. They are obviously favourites and I would much rather be playing Wrexham at home.

But as said, if we can frustrate them, the longer it goes, the better chance we will have.

I think it all depends on two areas.

Their attack v our defence - and lets face it, they could kill us here.

but

If we can attack their so called full backs with Gab and Alby and get balls into Bent, we could kill them.

To close to call, could go either , way, I'll go for a loss, but hope a surprise occurs

Wenger said today his main focus is the league...hopefully that will mean he'll be resting their one big player RVP... My biggest fear is young Oxdale-Chamberlain...he's really impressed me when iI've seen him of late.. I honestly think we could win this one after the huge morale boost of last weeks win in Molineux...

I just hope that if Wenger does field a weakened XI that our players don't take that as meaning that it'll be easy as their second choice players are still good enough to beat us on their day..

Why is our game against QPR important? It's not in reality is it.

WTF ?? QPR at home is a MUST WIN game !!

No it isn't. You appear to be suffering from Sky Sports Syndrome. A match that will be the difference between us finishing 11th or 12th is hardly a "must win" game.

Mcleish has already confirmed a full-strength team tomorrow I would have been outraged if it was anything different.