• Petrov
    • Gardner
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Keane
    • Warnock (for Agbonlahor 46)
    • Bannan (for Gardner 87)
    • Weimann (for Keane 90)

Been critical of Warnock's last matches, but he changed the match today. The two crunching tackles he made in his first minutes made Collins and the other players tackle harder and win the balls. Then we were back in the driving seat.

Really think Gardner played well too.

And great goals from Keane. I'll ear some humble pie, as I thought he was finished.

Yes Warnock was very solid when he came on, as were the rest of the defence in the second half. Hopefully McLeish gave him the kick up the arse he needed benching him.

PHEW!

Bent & Keane up top worked well today once they'd settled down. Great goals from Keane - I wasn't convinced about the signing, but you can

see he's exactly what we've needed - someone to score from outside the box.

Gardner was my MOTM. He doesn't look out of place at all in midfield. Clark also showed some nice touches today.

All the younger players did well. Albrighton plsyed much better when the crowd started singing he was a cheat. He wasn't - might have made a meal of it but it was a stonewall sending off - you can't back heel a player in the chest especially as he'd got the free kick! Madness. Mick McArthy won't be happy with Henry with that - it surely cost them a point.

6 games unbeaten away from home... I wonder just when the fans at Villa Park are going to see the difference it makes when your own supporters

just support the team ALL through the game and don't moan at the manager and the players at every opportunity!

First 20 was ours ....

Following 25 was theres... We really need some leaders to settle the side after conceding. For their 2nd Goal why was Dunne drawn to the ball where Collins was already standing?

2nd half we started better. Think the big turning point was Frimpong going off as his energy and drive was there to admire first half. We could really do with a similar player in our MF.

Always thought we were in it though.... Wolves would get shakey at then end .... and their defence looked really shite...

With more composure we should have scored again at the end....

Well done Kean ... and Benty.

6 games unbeaten away from home... I wonder just when the fans at Villa Park are going to see the difference it makes when your own supporters

just support the team ALL through the game and don't moan at the manager and the players at every opportunity!

yes exactly.

I was one of those critical on the match thread and still am. Lets make no bones about it, we were lucky today. Two quality strikes from outside the box and the sending off changed the game in our favour but dont let that paper over the cracks.

First half we started well but as soon as Wolves woke up we were overpowered in the middle. We were lucky to not be 3 or 4 down at half time and if we played any decent side and gave them that much ground and possession, we would have been.

Second half we started brightly, bear in mind we had hardly seen keane link a pass for 50 minutes when he popped up to score with a quality strike. We then went on the offensive a little but far to readily conceded ground when Wolves had possession. Dunne and Collins seem to drop to the edge of their own box at the first signs of danger and that leaves a huge gap between front and back for the midfield to cover.

After the sending off I was livid. Instead of seeing that as a trigger to go and win the game, we slowed the pace of the game right down. Unbelieveable, I couldnt believe it. I think I said in the match thread, if you dont try and win a game you are waiting to lose it. I was desperate for some attacking intent via a substitution but none came. Then, again, another quality strike from Keane put us ahead.

Happy days, now we just have to see out the game. What does McLeish do, he brings off Petrovs legs (Gardener) and brings on Bannan who is not known for his physical presence and defensive ability. It was asking for trouble and we subsequently got it for the last 9-10 minutes as we were under the cosh.

I am not trying to piss on anyones bonfire, but as much as I welcome the win, I cant help thinking its despite McLeish rather than because of. We are playing like a team in mid to low table, the way we are set up, our attitude to games, mentally we have lost the desire and confidence to win games and buying one or two players does not bring that back.

I was one of those critical on the match thread and still am. Lets make no bones about it, we were lucky today. Two quality strikes from outside the box and the sending off changed the game in our favour but dont let that paper over the cracks.

First half we started well but as soon as Wolves woke up we were overpowered in the middle. We were lucky to not be 3 or 4 down at half time and if we played any decent side and gave them that much ground and possession, we would have been.

Second half we started brightly, bear in mind we had hardly seen keane link a pass for 50 minutes when he popped up to score with a quality strike. We then went on the offensive a little but far to readily conceded ground when Wolves had possession. Dunne and Collins seem to drop to the edge of their own box at the first signs of danger and that leaves a huge gap between front and back for the midfield to cover.

After the sending off I was livid. Instead of seeing that as a trigger to go and win the game, we slowed the pace of the game right down. Unbelieveable, I couldnt believe it. I think I said in the match thread, if you dont try and win a game you are waiting to lose it. I was desperate for some attacking intent via a substitution but none came. Then, again, another quality strike from Keane put us ahead.

Happy days, now we just have to see out the game. What does McLeish do, he brings off Petrovs legs (Gardener) and brings on Bannan who is not known for his physical presence and defensive ability. It was asking for trouble and we subsequently got it for the last 9-10 minutes as we were under the cosh.

I am not trying to piss on anyones bonfire, but as much as I welcome the win, I cant help thinking its despite McLeish rather than because of. We are playing like a team in mid to low table, the way we are set up, our attitude to games, mentally we have lost the desire and confidence to win games and buying one or two players does not bring that back.

Agreed.

Weimann had 2 excellent chances to score late on. Keane played some potentially good through balls to Bent which were cut out by a deep lying Wolves defence. We started the second half brightly, Warnock's tackles meant Wolves wingplay was far more subdued - bigger difference than the sending off.

As bad as Collins is for his decision making and awareness he made some crucial blocks late on. We were always going to get hit on the break once Wolves went down to 10 men.

They should have been down to 9. Bent was through on goal and brought down. The referee utterly bottled the decision. Bent did very well to win the penalty by pressuring the defender.

Credit the manager for being a bit brave with the team selection, making the necessary changes at half-time and giving them a kick up the arse. Lets not forget, we didn't have Gabby for 45 minutes and we still won. Given he's been our most influential player this season.

Keane's goals turned defeat into victory and Wolves did well enough to give us problems and will do the same to others. Like us they are more effective away from home. The defence remains a worry as we will not score 3 goals every game but that is for another day. We won!! :hooray:

Given: 7

Hutton: 6

Collins: 6

Dunne: 5

Clark: At left back 4 in midfield 7

Petrov: 5

Gardener: 8

Gabby: 5

Keane: 8

Bent: 6

Subs:

Warnock: 7

Bannan: 6

Weiman: 5

We were very poor for large spells and if Wolves hadn't have imploded and Keane hadn't pulled off two world class finishes out of relatively little we would have lost again.

I didn't see the point in Keane, but even his quality can only mask over the cracks.

Eck doesn't know his best 11 and neither do we - i don't know who should start in midlfield when Zog and Ireland are fit, that much is evident, I don't think Warnock will get dropped again in a hurry and i really hope Gardener is the first player off the bench from now on if not a starter. I really hope Cuellar comes back as we look so much better defensively when he plays.

Yeah spot on The Steve - I forgot to say Warnock takes a huge amount of unsung credit for shackling Kightly down the LH side when he came on.

He was all over us first half.

Agreed, he has taken some stick recently so its only fair to highlight the positive side of his game too.

Credit must also go to our manager for the change too, if it had not worked out he would have been slaughtered!

Wasn't happy first half, it was no acceptable. Had a fair bit of luck in the second half but you earn that luck. End of the day McLeish signed Keane and Keane won us the game so fairplay.

However we cannot carry on playing like this, I'm not happy with it despite the result and another team could have punished us. Saying that we're unbeaten in 6 away, so we need to focus on the dreadful home form.

Probably go along with all of that.

Been critical of Warnock's last matches, but he changed the match today. The two crunching tackles he made in his first minutes...

The thing I'd say about the one was that he seemed to go flying in, both feet off the ground. Had he mistimed that ever so slightly then wouldn't he have probably been off? Fortunately he didn't and that helped to quieten Kightly down and mean that Wolves forgot they had any kind of right hand side.

Edit: Happy with the 3 points.

Â