MOT

Bazdavies79

I'm taking my motor tomorrow for an MOT. I need two new tires on the back, I'll get them done. But is a bald spare in the boot a fail? Will they check it? I've read it's better not to have the spare in the car if it's defective, they cant fail you for not having one, but can if you do but it's not roadworthy. Sounds like internet bollocks to me.

Also how long do break pads live, I've done 37,000 on mine and they work fine. Last MOT they were noted as pitted and slightly worn, last year. I am taking it to kwik fit again though and I've heard they try it on a bit, if you know what I mean.

One more thing, I've got a tiny chip with a small crack smaller than a 5p on the drivers side, is that a fail?

No - they don't check the spare tyre - its not a requirement to even have one.

Is the chip/crack directly in your field of vision? If yes, its a fail. If no its ok, unless the crack touches the edge of the glass. If it does, thats a fail too.

As for break pads, was it an advisory note last year, in which case, assuming average mileage (12k a year) then they may need replacing. To ask how ling they should ask is like asking how long is a piece of string (depends on how break happy you are, how heavy footed you are when you do break, do you like pulling monster skids etc?

If you take it to Kwick Fit and they say they need doing - ask what the legal minimum is and get them to show you. If they're above the legal minimum - you're ok. Same applies for tyres....

They can't fail you for a chipped windscreen. The last car I had had a chip in the windscreen and passed a couple of MOTs with it

You might get done on the brake pads, but I wouldn't change them beforehand. They'll just tell you you need new ones and fit them for you and then pass it. Or they'll be fine and they'll pass it anyway.

Can't help with the spare I'm afraid, but it sounds right to me. You don't need a spare wheel to pass. Not sure if a bald one will fail though.

I'm taking my motor tomorrow for an MOT. I need two new tires on the back, I'll get them done. But is a bald spare in the boot a fail? Will they check it? I've read it's better not to have the spare in the car if it's defective, they cant fail you for not having one, but can if you do but it's not roadworthy. Sounds like internet bollocks to me.

Also how long do break pads live, I've done 37,000 on mine and they work fine. Last MOT they were noted as pitted and slightly worn, last year. I am taking it to kwik fit again though and I've heard they try it on a bit, if you know what I mean.

One more thing, I've got a tiny chip with a small crack smaller than a 5p on the drivers side, is that a fail?

Quick fit!!! No way!!

Where are you based? An MOT place that is a garage as well is a big no no from me as they only need to be having a bad week and you could pay. The same goes for these auto centres at Halfords etc.

Best place to go is somewhere that they ONLY do MOT's, There is a brillian one on Slade Road, a Villa fan and quite open that he will not fiddle either way as its he not only does not benefit from it plus its his only source of business.

Have taken 3 different cars there over the years from an old saxo, a Rover 100 and my current Audi and apart from the tyres on my last one has never cost me more than £40 to get through as he advises me not only what has gone but what a garage should charge for the repair. I have actually had more passes than fails.

If you need tyres there is a great little place as you turn from tyburn road towards the villa directly on your left, part worns for my Audi £20, £40 for new.

The MOT number is 0121 384 4044

I keep doing that! Note to brain, it's brake not break!!!!

The chip I think depends on its size and position, as Eames said. It's touch and go, I'll wait and see. Not a problem as I'll get it done on the insurance, it will only cost a tenner.

The BRAKE pads feel fine. I've done less than 12,000 miles since the last MOT. If they're fails I'll get my mate to do them.

Both rear tyres were worn but last month I got a puncture in one. The spare I'm using has a brand new really good continental tyre on, I'm thinking of putting that on the puncture, putting a new one on the other rear and the worn one on the spare. It might be cheaper than two new tyres.

The tester is not allowed to remove the wheels so unless they are visibly down to the backing plate then you'll be fine.

Chip, depends on the position, if it is in the drivers main viewing area then it can be a fail.

Back in the day you used to have to have a legal spare, then they relaxed it a bit to say you didn't have to have a spare but if you did it had to be legal, now it is not checked.

And as B6 said, avoid Kwik Fit like the plague. If you can find a local independant garage. Its not a guraentee they won't try and rip you off but you're less likely that going to KF.

Both rear tyres were worn but last month

it's 3 points per tyre if the rozzers strop you ... how worn are they ?

Yeah I know. They're not legal, but as I said one got a flat, so I've been driving on the spare for a few weeks, which is brand new. So it would have been 3 points, but still 3 points too many, had I been caught. So, I'm putting new ones on tomorrow. Just booked in. The spare is going on the flat, the worn is going on the spare wheel, and I'll buy a new tyre to replace the worn so I'm all legal again.

I recently realised that tyres are cheaper in the Mercedes main dealer than in Kwik Fit.

Shop around.

Crack or chip in a windscreen depends on size and location. If you go on some windscreen company website they will have an easy guide. Autoglass maybe?

Autoglass has been arranged for Monday, only cost me a tenner with my insurance and I don't lose my no claims. Problem is the MOT is tomorrow, but I ain't too worried about it.

With my brakes, on my last MOT with kwik fit, 12 months ago I got an advisory saying disks pitted and slightly worn, but they feel absolutely fine. No grinding through the pads, I thought if the pads feel ok the disks should be?? I don't really trust kwik fit TBH.

With tyres, I could have gotten one from a breakers yard for £10-£15, and got a mate to fit it for free, problem is my size is not the most common of sizes and I've run out of time to look around so I'll just get a new one. In fact I phoned National Tyres today and the 2 swaps + 1 new tyre will cost around £70, ah well, cheaper than Halfords ATS and Kwik Fit.

Go and get some part worn tyres, they usually cost me about £18 a pop with plenty of meat on them and they are the reinforced ones I need for my Galaxy.

I've had a chip in the windscreen for 7 years and despite what they say in the adverts its never got any bigger

The only thing Kwik fit are remotely cheap on is redoing your aircon, they are cheaper than most places for that

Brake pads aren't the most expensive things in the world anyway

Autoglass has been arranged for Monday, only cost me a tenner with my insurance and I don't lose my no claims. Problem is the MOT is tomorrow, but I ain't too worried about it.

With my brakes, on my last MOT with kwik fit, 12 months ago I got an advisory saying disks pitted and slightly worn, but they feel absolutely fine. No grinding through the pads, I thought if the pads feel ok the disks should be?? I don't really trust kwik fit TBH.

With tyres, I could have gotten one from a breakers yard for £10-£15, and got a mate to fit it for free, problem is my size is not the most common of sizes and I've run out of time to look around so I'll just get a new one. In fact I phoned National Tyres today and the 2 swaps + 1 new tyre will cost around £70, ah well, cheaper than Halfords ATS and Kwik Fit.

Well done on the BRAKES but, in mjmooney style, DISCS!!!

:winkold:

• 4 months later...
Â