explain SOPA and PIPA

villa4europe

is that realistic though?

Not really IMO. The issue is that the US government are trying to close the door about 20 years after the horse has bolted, and they are trying to close that door with a sledgehammer that's only designed to break the door. The problem with free speech is that once you give it to people its very hard to take it back. The internet is already well established with free speech & sharing, trying to take that back is going to be next to impossible. Like The_Rev said above its the US government trying to copy the chinese model :shock: and just using piracy as camouflage

SOPA/PIPA won't, as far as I can tell, have any real impact on the current major players. For a site to be affected by it, a court order has to be passed, and then the US attorney general has to give the order to ISPs and the ad companies. Whilst possible, it seems very unlikely that a judge and the AG would be crazy enough to try and take down Youtube or Facebook.

It's the smaller and newer sites with UGC that really need to worry.

I kinda of suspect that some of the companies that have kept their mouth shut about it are quite hopeful it'll come in, it'd be a ridiculously good tool for shutting down up-and-coming competition.

Two republican senators just flipped their position on the bill, including it's co-author....seems like the backlash has begun. Once people become informed, that's when politicians fear for their jobs...

Two republican senators just flipped their position on the bill, including it's co-author....seems like the backlash has begun. Once people become informed, that's when politicians fear for their jobs...

One of the co-sponsors (Blunt):

"The right to the illusion of free speech is one of the most basic foundations that makes our nation great, and I strongly oppose sanctioning Americans’ right to free speech in any medium – including over the internet, if my attempts to do so attract the attention of the public

The words in italics weren't there, but I'm pretty sure it's what he meant.

It is a terrible Bill that will do serious damage to the functionality of the internet. While i normally wouldn't worry about something like this passing, there are a lot of big industries trying to push this through with rubbish stats and unfortunately the people voting on it are all over 60 and have shown before that they dont understand the internet.

Do you live in the US? If not don't worry

You could not be more wrong. SOPA will affect the internet worldwide.

^^^ QFT. It is a fairly long video, but it explains everything perfectly. Made by a bloke living in Newcastle upon Tyne too, and he highlights how the law will affect us Brits. Basically SOPA is old media trying to shut down new media for short term financial gain. Piracy on the internet is an issue, but destroying the **** internet is not the solution.

Odd that someone from Newcastle would use the (non)word "frickin" about 20 times in the first minute. I'm afraid irritation overwhelmed interest at that point, and I decide the geezer could go frick himself.

Some of the websites which protested against SOPA & PIPA yesterday

It seems it is having the desired effect, senators are dropping support for the bill. Again, this really opens my eye as to how politics actually works, most laws seem to get passed by a handful of lobbyists. They are the ones who pull all the strings, talking politicians who generally don't have a **** clue about the finer points of what they are voting on (which is probably why the more draconian laws tend to get given "friendly" acronyms?) into supporting the bill and hoping it gets made law before the public notices.

tumblr_ly0epeZyxe1qbv41po1_500.jpg

The proposals are ridiculous. Essentially it would quash freedom of expression in America in order to help the film and music industry, who incidently do not provide the country with anywhere near as much revenue as the internet as a whole do.

They'd like to send people to prison for 'copyright infrigements'.

'What are you in for?'

'Rape'

'Murder'

'Singing a Justin Beiber song and posting it on the internet'

'Arson'

Ridiculous.

Also they think they can use the Internet to push their viral marketing for films and music?

How many people have watched downfall As a result of that parody?

Quite a few I imagine.

It also works the other way.

I wouldn't have bought 4 box sets of battle star galactica if I hadn't downloaded the pilot first online

There are a lot of examples of authors, bands and films gaining popularity through their material being pirated and then subsequently earning a lot of money from legit sales. I don't condone piracy but it has benefit some artists in the past.

Totally you only need to see how poor donnie dark for ticket sales as soon as it hit the net BOOM DVD hit. Funny that.

Also 300? That film is now in every mans mind certainly under 35. It has more presence than it would without piracy and parody etc.

The industry is so short cited it has refused to embrace the Internet and often markets their products in such an old school way it's their lack of belief in the Internet that is causing the problem.

I mean don't get me wrong anyone who watched a pirated copy of the dark knight or inception and didn't watch it at the cinema is a **** moron but for Rom coms and films you think may not be worth £8 well why not?

If you love it you will buy it anyway.

I think this bill is losing backing slowly. I can certainly see one hell of a backlash if pushed through. Certainly I would shut down all YouTube channels for any film or music company. If you don't want to embrace the service can go **** yourself if you want to use it.

Plenty of broadband, travel and car companies to advertise on there.

It will do even more harm to te film industry.

They just want to keep safe with pushing shit films our way to keep profits churning over.

If the Internet is so bad for films they should google dark knight grossing figures and look at the sheer number of parodies, soundtrack used on other videos to see how much momentum it gives a film, especially months after release.

I dont mind if piracy disappears really. I can live with that, my concerns are more about them having the power to block any site they dont like. The nightmare scenario is that if somebody gave a big album/movie/videogame a bad review then under SOPA the company who own the IP for that album/movie/videogame could have the website shut down on the grounds that they were violating copyright. The burden of proof would be on the site to say they werent breaching copyright. That is the freedom of speech angle which should be worrying everybody, not that it might be more difficult to download the latest Spiderman movie. I dont think we have seen that kind of behaviour since angry crowds burned women at the stake for witchcraft ("if she survives she is a witch, if she dies she was innocent")

Â