Darlington

sparey16

One of my running club mates (an accountant as it happens) is a Darlo fan. I'll have to ask him if he chipped in to the kitty.

Given how often he buys a round, I suspect not. :)

What a shame. Brand spanking new stadium as well. Went past it the other week.

Brian Little used to manage them for a time didn't he IIRC or was it his brother?

Nice to see the fans having a whip round like that. Darlington's not a bad spot for shopping at all and there's been alot of job losses in the NE and it's not easy for anyone at the moment.

(BTW If ever you have an accident or get sick in the NE ALWAYS get someone to drive you to Darlington General and make an excuse. Tony Blair's old constituency hospital and apparently their A & E is one of the best equipped in the whole of the UK. We're on the border of Co Durham here in SE Cumbria, but no way does anyone call an ambulance to go to Carlisle - everyone gets in the car & drives 30 miles to Darlington! It's about the same distance anyway)

What a shame. Brand spanking new stadium as well.

The stadium was what caused all the problems in the first place!

Yep, they ran before they could walk when they built that stadium. They had to 'shut down' parts of the stadium on match days as it cost so much to run.

What a shame. Brand spanking new stadium as well.

The stadium was what caused all the problems in the first place!

I know it's been their downfall.... you should see it - stands out like something from out of space! It's not even IN Darlington - it's on the outskirts by an industrial estate in the countryside.

It's OK building a new shiny stadium in Coventry or the edges of Manchester like the Reebok where there's alot of possibly corporate entertaining/events to be hosted (& they are struggling)......but Darlington's not a very big spot at all.

Most Darlington supporters, I've come across - also have a favourite PL team as well.

• 11 years later...

This story isn't over, for the Quakers did come back, eventually. But people on VT 12 years ago did see how serious the problems were. They finally got their original Darlington FC name back after some legal ups and downs and now compete in the National League North, but of course not in the ruinous Darlington Arena.

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This story isn't over, for the Quakers did come back, eventually. But people on VT 12 years ago did see how serious the problems were. They finally got their original Darlington FC name back after some legal ups and downs and now compete in the National League North, but of course not in the ruinous Darlington Arena.

spacer.png

Tamworth beat them 1-0 yesterday to remain top of the league, 8 points clear.

• Like 1

Â