Dean Windass admits to attempting suicide last week.

PompeyVillan

Fair enough at the moment i cant see someone who is depressed because of certain important events as having an illness/sickness..... They are depressed because of their emotional attachment to those events.

I see a difference between someone who has lost the wife they truly loved to someone who finds little happyness in life and nearly seems to make all his problems worse.

The former striker, now 42, admits to drinking up to 15 pints of lager a day. His 18-year marriage has collapsed after he had an affair and he is tormented by guilt because he didn't get the chance to end a rift with his father, who died suddenly.

Dean is now set to go into the Sporting Chance Clinic for rehabilitation on February 6.

Clearly Dean has real problems, but it's difficult to see how it can be called depression.

Unless being a complete clearing in the woods makes you depressed. :winkold:

Depressions a funny old thing though and a lot of people get it confused for other issues.

I mean, what is depression really? At what point do you go from being sad, lonely, troubled or generally feeling like shit to depressed?

What in you defines that you're depressed?

I've put it in another thread somewhere (i cant remember which one) but I've had lots of friends who claimed to be depressed, some were, some still are, but a few were bored and a bit lost and feeling like crap, though, that all soon went when they just occupied their time better.

Maybe i'm being cynical too, but I don't think that Windass is particularly depressed, selling your story to a paper so soon after Speeds' death is a bit... lame.

In the same way that I wouldnt believe that if someone came on VT and claims to be depressed and full of self hate, then goes to put loads of photos of themselves and always having a laugh... It just don't add up to me. Neither does this Windass thing.

But then again, depression or being depressed is open for interpretation, is it not?

Do only depressed people attempt and commit suicide? It's an easy stereotype I guess.

Equally,I can see how someone blind drunk, who's just lost their father might attempt suicide. Does that mean they are automatically depressed? I don't know. For what it's worth I think the circumstances in Dean Windasses life are causing his depression. Although I'm presuming he wasn't suicidal while he was a professional footballer.

I know someone who played with Windass, spoke with him today. He was a little sceptical about Windasses motives to make his problems public. Perhaps it's more about money and less about raising awareness? But who are we to judge?

Â