Marc Albrighton

kingeightyone

You can always pay players more when there's no transfer fee. Leicester would have had £x set aside to get a winger, and without the transfer fee they can translate a lot of that money into wages, and have a player with sell on value, making him a very very cheap option. Makes perfect sense for Leicester to offer him that. The fact that we now have to match that wage shows the risks in letting contracts run down so low.

• Like 2

Another big mistake by Villa, just look on Cahill. It will be the same with Albrighton and I will be happy to eat my words if not correct.

Can someone explain me, what is the reason behind investing the money into youth academy if the club can not see a potential of academy raised players?

• Like 1

I hope we offer him a new deal, but in line with the rest of the players in the team (Westwood/ Lowton/ Guzan etc), maybe around £25k.

He was our best player in the last handful of games, and has done well to work his way back into the team, after seemingly being pushed aside by Lambert.

I'd rather we keep him, than him come back to haunt us like a lot of players we let go because they're still 'just potential'.

I hope we offer him a new deal, but in line with the rest of the players in the team (Westwood/ Lowton/ Guzan etc), maybe around £25k.

Why would he sign that when there's supposedly a 35k offer on the table from Leicester. Would be first choice there too.

As a free agent, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get similar offers from other clubs too. I think villa want to keep him, but won't be wanting to match that sort of wage.

if he goes good luck to him, he probably wanted to stay but club seems in a mess at moment. he had some good moments at Villa especially that 1st season and never let the team down even if his performance were not always great his heart was always in the game.

that goal at Fulham, Bannan to Albrighton was a great moment as was 2 academy players combining for a good goal

Why would he sign that when there's supposedly a 35k offer on the table from Leicester. Would be first choice there too.

As a free agent, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get similar offers from other clubs too. I think villa want to keep him, but won't be wanting to match that sort of wage.

Because even though Leicester won't be far behind us, we'll hopefully be in the next bracket of teams, and he might want to play for a better side for a bit less money? Also, being a Villa fan could sway it. I wouldn't blame him if he left, but I also wouldn't offer him as much as they are.

Because even though Leicester won't be far behind us, we'll hopefully be in the next bracket of teams, and he might want to play for a better side for a bit less money? Also, being a Villa fan could sway it. I wouldn't blame him if he left, but I also wouldn't offer him as much as they are.
Judging by our current situation, as well as the last few seasons, I wouldn't bet against Leicester finishing higher than us.

They have a very wealthy owner who puts up the money when needed, he has already said they'll spend up to £180m in the next 3 seasons if they have to. That said, they're not stupid with it like QPR, they've built up a really good squad and now they are going to be adding to it. They have ambition also.

As much as we love the club and want to believe there is a lot going for us and that players should be attracted to us, as things stand I personally don't think we're very attractive at all.

Edited by samjp26

None of this bodes very well for our ability to get decent players in this summer if we aren't going to be able to compete on wages offered by quite modest clubs to medium ability players.

You’d pay Marc Albrighton 35k a week would you?

The same Marc Albrighton most thought was a bit shit until he put in a few shifts at the end of the season, now we should be doing our upmost to keep him.

Anything to have a go at the club for shocker.

• Like 1

They're going to spend upto £180m, yet they want Albrighton for on the wing?... There's something fishy about that. The grass isn't always greener Marc!

They're going to spend upto £180m, yet they want Albrighton for on the wing?... There's something fishy about that. The grass isn't always greener Marc!

'If they need to', I think their plan is to be fighting for Europe after 3 years back in the Prem, which is a great pitch to new players. We can't even give Marc an actual contract to sign let alone any sort of plan or pitch for the future.

Edited by samjp26

None of this bodes very well for our ability to get decent players in this summer if we aren't going to be able to compete on wages offered by quite modest clubs to medium ability players.

You’d pay Marc Albrighton 35k a week would you?

The same Marc Albrighton most thought was a bit shit until he put in a few shifts at the end of the season, now we should be doing our upmost to keep him.

Anything to have a go at the club for shocker.

I've always rated Marc and think he has shown great ability at times. Equally importantly, in some games towards the end of last season, he looked like the only player who was trying. It needs a manager (clearly not the clown currently in the job) to get something out of him. It's good news for other clubs if we're letting him go for free

I don't know where some fans have got this idea that we alone in the premier league can get a competitive squad without paying the going rate in wages. It just won't happen.

So, "anything to have a go at the club"? That just seems like a contentious comment.

I'll be sad to see Super Marc go! The club at the moment are is disarray and god knows what is gonna happen. How they can't offer him a one year deal is beyond me. We seem to do it time and time again letting players contracts run down to the wire. We don't se to want to learn as a club.

Another big mistake by Villa, just look on Cahill. It will be the same with Albrighton and I will be happy to eat my words if not correct.

Can someone explain me, what is the reason behind investing the money into youth academy if the club can not see a potential of academy raised players?

Cahill is the only good player to come our of the academy recently. The majority of them are either crap or okayish to be fair.

Two ways to look at this.

If we get taken over in the short term (ie this summer) then surely a new owner would be looking to invest in the team. In that case I am confident we could replace Albrighton with a better standard of player.

If we don't get taken over in the short term and we lose Albrighton to Leicester or whoever then that is a real blow. He was clearly one of our better players and it will mean another head to cover with an already stretched budget

• Like 1

Leicester are effectively getting Albrighton for £7.2Mill, the lack of a transfer fee allows them to offer more wages, for 4 years, £7.2 Mill doesn't seem a lot for me to get a proven premiership winger who a lot of the time was a man of the match for us whenever he did play, in both his first and last stint in the first team. Criminal of us to let him go.  

£7.2m for player who thinks the object of crossing the ball is to blam it against the opponent - the only thing I am sad about is we are not getting a fee 

More balls into the final 3rd than the rest of the Midfield.... Marc going only weakens us, anyone who says different would probably have us lose our starting 11 and replace them all with a team full of Grant Holts because we can't attract any better at this moment! 

It seems some people are that negative towards our club at the minute they miss certain points. Albrighton has been offered a contract it's less than what he's been offered from other clubs. Why aren't people asking why A player who was injured for ages and only got back to form the last couple of months of the season and a Villa fan isn't showing loyalty to HIS club? He is rumoured to have been offered 35k a week which is more than he's worth now I don't blame him for taking the best offer for him but don't moan at the club for putting a price on his ability.

It seems some people are that negative towards our club at the minute they miss certain points. Albrighton has been offered a contract it's less than what he's been offered from other clubs. Why aren't people asking why A player who was injured for ages and only got back to form the last couple of months of the season and a Villa fan isn't showing loyalty to HIS club? He is rumoured to have been offered 35k a week which is more than he's worth now I don't blame him for taking the best offer for him but don't moan at the club for putting a price on his ability.

Why didn't the club offer him a contract before the end of the season then? As far as I know, they still haven't offered him a new contract and he'll be joining Leicester. Maybe you know more than I do.

• Like 1

The club is for sale and, potentially, more or less already sold if some of the rumours are to be believed. Why would Lerner accept an additional 750k to our annual wage bill? The player will nearly double his current salary if he joins Leicester and there is no way the club would match this and it will further complicate a sale.

Lerner wants out ASAP and deals like this would mean that it could take longer to sell up. I would be surprised if we saw any incoming deals of note until mid-July*.

* The 15 year old we just signed doesn't count.

Â