Scottish Independence

maqroll

3 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

If you consider that EU membership requires the Euro I don't think Hungary, Poland, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Sweden, Denmark, Latvia or Lithuania would agree with you that the major change delivers economic prosperity and security for its citizens. 

The EU is more popular than unpopular in every one of those countries (see eg page 9: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb83/eb83_first_en.pdf

EDIT: except Greece, for obvious reasons!

2nd EDIT: I missed that, if you go to page 26 of the report, opinions on the Euro specifically were broken down by country. The Euro is supported by a majority of respondents in all the countries you mention except Poland, Sweden, Denmark & Bulgaria (a plurality against). Over the whole EU, a clear majority are in favour (page 25). 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Risso said:

Yes, I imagine that that news would come as a huge shock to them.  There they'd be, cheering on their neighbours England in a football match from their public houses, only to be completely floored by the news that some people in England take the piss out of them from time to time.  It's hard to imagine the sense of hurt that it would cause.

It "works" though, doesn't it? As the jocks in the pub watching the England game hear the English fans singing "are you Scotland in disguise?" Etc. They'd be yelling "eff off ya English bawbags" and so on at the telly.

• Like 1

you know things are bad when the Jocks think not one , but two evil Tory bastards are doing a better job than you

More Scots think Theresa May is doing a better job than Nicola Sturgeon, an online poll for Sky News has found.

The Sky Data survey of more than 2,000 people with registered addresses in Scotland put the Prime Minister's approval rating at six percentage points higher than Scotland's First Minister.

The head of the Scottish Conservatives Ruth Davidson polled five points above the PM.

FREEDOM

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The EU is more popular than unpopular in every one of those countries (see eg page 9: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb83/eb83_first_en.pdf

EDIT: except Greece, for obvious reasons!

2nd EDIT: I missed that, if you go to page 26 of the report, opinions on the Euro specifically were broken down by country. The Euro is supported by a majority of respondents in all the countries you mention except Poland, Sweden, Denmark & Bulgaria (a plurality against). Over the whole EU, a clear majority are in favour (page 25). 

Cheers for that piece of research. I have never seen it before but it's a really interesting document. 28,000 EU citizens were polled; fair play to the researchers. 5,000 pooled outside the EU too. I read back over the years too, v interesting to see how opinion changes.

This evening I'm going to check where all those interviews took place. At the moment I don't really know what I'm reading....well I know, but I haven't yet worked out whether it holds any bias....though it's clear that the currency question doesn't ask about the impact of the Euro but rather participants desires to have one currency for all nations.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Cheers for that piece of research. I have never seen it before but it's a really interesting document. 28,000 EU citizens were polled; fair play to the researchers. 5,000 pooled outside the EU too. I read back over the years too, v interesting to see how opinion changes.

This evening I'm going to check where all those interviews took place. At the moment I don't really know what I'm reading....well I know, but I haven't yet worked out whether it holds any bias....though it's clear that the currency question doesn't ask about the impact of the Euro but rather participants desires to have one currency for all nations.

must admit when I saw the data and conclusion section  , I believe the answer to that question is 1 Avenue du Président Robert Schuman, 67000 Strasbourg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

must admit when I saw the data and conclusion section  , I believe the answer to that question is 1 Avenue du Président Robert Schuman, 67000 Strasbourg

It's surely not that hard to believe that people in other countries don't hate the EU as much as we do? You surely can't have helped notice that we're a bit of an outlier in that regard?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's surely not that hard to believe that people in other countries don't hate the EU as much as we do? You surely can't have helped notice that we're a bit of an outlier in that regard?

It's not hard to believe that some people like the EU , but that conclusion report was land of milk and honey  stuff , hence my natural cynicism towards it

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

It's not hard to believe that some people like the EU , but that conclusion report was land of milk and honey  stuff , hence my natural cynicism towards it

Can you explain why? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I don't understand why it is inherently unbelievable. 

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can you explain why? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I don't understand why it is inherently unbelievable. 

I have you at around 89 degrees at present so you're still good :) 

alas I'm off out to go and see The Stranglers now so I'll have to get back to you on this one  , it just all seemed a little too everyone loves the EU and even those that don't like us don't really mean it , everyone loves immigration , even those coming from outside of the EU though of course we don't love them as much   ... oh and what about our wonderful currency , everyone loves that  ...

could have just been me though :) 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was here before the Euro and after its introduction.  I doubt you will many people in The Netherlands that think the Euro is any good.  People still moan about it now.  It effectively doubled the price of everything and wages never have and never will breech this gap.  Before the Euro for example it was possible to go out on 50 Guilders,  It is impossible to do this with the Euro if calculated back.  I could not spend the money I earned in Guilders per month and had a 4 figure sum left over, easily.  

I have never had any money left since the Euro and that's after getting married to a administrative genius. The cynicism felt by those who actually experienced the introduction of the Euro and the monetary loss that never recovered is never spoke about by politicians or probably polls which is handy for propaganda purposes i suppose.  It was however and different story if one owned a house for example and this aspect can not be overlooked.  Good for the few with money long term.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I was here before the Euro and after its introduction.  I doubt you will many people in The Netherlands that think the Euro is any good.  People still moan about it now.  It effectively doubled the price of everything and wages never have and never will breech this gap.  Before the Euro for example it was possible to go out on 50 Guilders,  It is impossible to do this with the Euro if calculated back.  I could not spend the money I earned in Guilders per month and had a 4 figure sum left over, easily.  

I have never had any money left since the Euro and that's after getting married to a administrative genius. The cynicism felt by those who actually experienced the introduction of the Euro and the monetary loss that never recovered is never spoke about by politicians or probably polls which is handy for propaganda purposes i suppose.  It was however and different story if one owned a house for example and this aspect can not be overlooked.  Good for the few with money long term.

Yeah. I used to go to Italy and lot and before the Euro was introduced, but after they knew Italy would be in it, the Italians I used to work with were all "you should join it", but once it actually happened they were always saying how much more expensive stuff was. The Euro is one of those things where I changed my mind from pro to anti. The advantages are fewer than the problems ( in part because to work properly you'd need tax harmonisation and all kinds of other stuff which will never happen).

36 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think that's the worst thing about the Euro and one reason I was overjoyed we kept the pound all those years ago.
It's why I raised the question earlier about where the survey was taken.

Perhaps a well earning Dubliner is okay, but my partners southern Ireland father certainly doesn't agree the switch was positive.
Similarly I've never lived with someone from Madrid but with Spaniards from 8 other cities and they despise what the euro has done for consumer prices.

It's fine when wages increase but that's almost impossible across a whole nation. 

Very interesting that you brought up owning a house too; the housing crisis in the UK has been pouring fuel over the EU fire for years. Though some of that is our own fault and not the EU's.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just listening to farage on LBC it's actually surprising from the volume of calls from Scottish people they really dislike sturgeon and don't want want another referendum.

Yeah, because all the Scottish people who do want one are really going to be spending their time listening to and wanting to speak to that despicable ****.

It's about as surprising as the sun rising in the morning.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just listening to farage on LBC it's actually surprising from the volume of calls from Scottish people they really dislike sturgeon and don't want want another referendum.

Not exactly a representative sample there.

Â