Scottish Independence

maqroll

If they do decide on independence, what is the fallout for us - if any?

How will it affect us?

Given that you don't really know (who does?) - would you feel qualified to vote on it in a referendum? 

You only get to vote on it if you're a Scot living in Scotland.

What if you English and living in Scotland, you don't get a vote? And actually aren't all UK citizens UK citizens rather than being Scottish/Welsh etc.?

What if you English and living in Scotland, you don't get a vote? And actually aren't all UK citizens UK citizens rather than being Scottish/Welsh etc.?
Sorry, anybody resident in Scotland I think

Here http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/who-can-vote-referendum-scottish-independence

Edited by Kingfisher

Here http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/who-can-vote-referendum-scottish-independence

I think there's a legal challenge planned to let ex-pat Scots vote.

Who gets to vote on it is not what bothers me. It's people's ability to vote rationally and in an informed way. Both on Scottish independence and EU in/out. 

I know I keep banging on about it, but referenda are not democratic - they may look like it, but they're a pantomime, masking an abrogation of responsibility by politicians (who are paid to do a full-time job of researching and comprehending the complexities involved in running a country). We do our jobs, let them do theirs. 

If people want to assert their emotional feelings about their nationality, then let them have referenda on the things that seem to agitate them, but ultimately don't really matter - national anthems, flag design, that sort of guff. Not stuff that could make or break a country's entire economy. 

How will it affect us?

You will get less of our footballing imports for a start.

What? No McLeish? No Lambert? But, but...that would be.... <insert adjective of your choice here> 

I think there's a legal challenge planned to let ex-pat Scots vote.

I struggle to see how they can be entitled to vote on the future of a country they opted not to live in. If they vote yes they should be forced to return :)

How will it affect us?

You will get less of our footballing imports for a start.

What? No McLeish? No Lambert? But, but...that would be....

I struggle to see how they can be entitled to vote on the future of a country they opted not to live in. If they vote yes they should be forced to return :)

Forcing Sean Connery on the Scots could be considered an act of war. But does Mel Gibson get a vote?

How will it affect us?

Irn-Bru and Walker's Shortbread will become subject to import duties/taxation, ultimately driving both out of the country.

For that reason, I'm against.

Â