Scottish Independence

maqroll

I can see why the idea of breaking away from the UK appeals to many in Scotland. The 'UK' government has for many years now simply represented a south east, london centric elite. A break away from that, not just for Scotch-land but any northern region, could seem appealing. 

I just don't think it would work,a nd could have disastrous consequences for them. For that reason, I don't think they'll go for it.

It seems that the whole notion of nationhood and the artificial iconography of shortbread and tartan, which was imposed upon the Scottish by the Prince of Wales, has distracted them from the truth; that their enemies are not those defined by nationality, but by class and money.

Scotland is already a rich country and certainly richer than the West Midlands, and independence will not lead to a mass conversion of the haves into people who will want to share their money with the have-nots.

Whether it was the above mentioned Darien scheme or the land clearances, it was the rich who sold Scotland's independence for thirty pieces of silver, and perpetrated the ethic-cleansing which were the Highland clearances.

The same people still possess their stolen assets and have perpetuated the built-in inequality over centuries and which still remains the worst Europe.

These people are not patriots in any sense which will stop them moving their assets to other areas of the global economy if it suits them. They may not burn your cottage down these days but they certainly can destroy the economic base which employment depends upon.

The Scottish should no more trust Salmond than they should Cameron.

One makes promises he cannot deliver and the other is just a toff with some PR training and with highly visible class interests.

The Scottish should vote for devolution-max, which keeps the security of the union but provides enough freedom to tweak an unfair system.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

It seems that the whole notion of nationhood and the artificial iconography of shortbread and tartan, which was imposed upon the Scottish by the Prince of Wales, has distracted them from the truth; that their enemies are not those defined by nationality, but by class and money.

Scotland is already a rich country and certainly richer than the West Midlands, and independence will not lead to a mass conversion of the haves into people who will want to share their money with the have-nots.

Whether it was the above mentioned Darien scheme or the land clearances, it was the rich who sold Scotland's independence for thirty pieces of silver, and perpetrated the ethic-cleansing which were the Highland clearances.

The same people still possess their stolen assets and have perpetuated the built-in inequality over centuries and which still remains the worst Europe.

These people are not patriots in any sense which will stop them moving their assets to other areas of the global economy if it suits them. They may not burn your cottage down these days but they certainly can destroy the economic base which employment depends upon.

The Scottish should no more trust Salmond than they should Cameron.

One makes promises he cannot deliver and the other is just a toff with some PR training and with highly visible class interests.

The Scottish should vote for devolution-max, which keeps the security of the union but provides enough freedom to tweak an unfair system.

Spot on with your first sentence MMV.

As for your last sentence, it's not on the ballot so not an option. Funny that eh?

In the event of a Scottish vote for independence, we could see millions of EU citizens stripped of their citizenship against their own will.

I'm not sure how that will sit in the world of human rights.

They will have voted for it

In the event of a Scottish vote for independence, we could see millions of EU citizens stripped of their citizenship against their own will.I'm not sure how that will sit in the world of human rights.

They will have voted for it
I get that. But if it were a 60/40 majority, then around 3 million wouldn't have voted for it.

If a 60/40 majority is taken as a yes result.

Edited by thetrees

Didn't they ask groups of 16 year olds how they would vote? I think the majority voted No. If the Scottish people really want "independence" it would be achieved in a very different way.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I think, to be fair, most Scots realise that a vote for independence is not the same as a vote for the SNP. If they end up breaking away the SNP will be a fringe party at best.

I think, to be fair, most Scots realise that a vote for independence is not the same as a vote for the SNP. If they end up breaking away the SNP will be a fringe party at best.

I meant in the context of the referendum but I agree they'll be a fringe party, if they succeed in destroying not just the Union but Scottish prosperity as well. 

The idea that the remainder of the UK is going to underwrite the government spending, economy and banking sector of a foreign country through currency union is ludicrous beyond belief.  The fact that this is the central policy of the SNP for the future economic prosperity of Scotland simply underlines what a bunch of deluded dog fondlers they really are.

Â