The Most Useful Languages

Voinjama

Currently learning Spanish as I am going to Peru for a little while. Got an app called Duolingo which is free and addictive to use and I definitely think it helps with learning. Also recapping my french as I was almost fluent a few years back but an nowhere near good enough now

Tried learning Chinese whilst I was living out there but could only get to grips with the very basics and it isn't something I've continued with since I left.

I think languages are only as useful as you make them. If you learn Italian but never speak it or don't spend long amounts of time in a native speaking country then it's not helping you communicate

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread as I want to do something productive with my spare time.  I've decided to try to learn Spanish as this could eventually become beneficial at work.

Xela, did you ever go for it?  Stevo and skarroki - how are you progressing and more importantly which method have you found the best?  I might be hard pushed to find a flexible tutor where I stay so online/app would be more practical.

There's a Spanish guy I get on reasonably well with at work and I would like to be able to hold a full conversation with him in Spanish by Summer.

Bumping this thread as I want to do something productive with my spare time.  I've decided to try to learn Spanish as this could eventually become beneficial at work.

Xela, did you ever go for it?  Stevo and skarroki - how are you progressing and more importantly which method have you found the best?  I might be hard pushed to find a flexible tutor where I stay so online/app would be more practical.

There's a Spanish guy I get on reasonably well with at work and I would like to be able to hold a full conversation with him in Spanish by Summer.

I love it.

I'm progressing slowly, but that's to be expected when you're going with one lesson a week.

As others have said Duolingo is a good app, but I wouldn't rely on it as a learning source. More a way to increase your vocabulary and revise what you've already learnt.

You can't beat classroom learning, imo. Obviously the downside is that it's usually more expensive and you can only move at the pace of the class.

But I was in Barcelona at Xmas and I got on fairly well after 18 months of lessons. I wasn't holding fluent conversations but I was able to do the basics.

My biggest problem is speed of recall. I can figure out what to say in Spanish, but it takes me a while to form the sentence. Too long to really have a conversation.

But I guess that comes with practise. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â