Things that lift your mood

Shillzz

I dont eat alot of junk in all honesty. We (i really mean i because the missus cant cook for toffee) cook 5 out of 7 days/evenings of the week. I really enjoy a take-away of some sort on a Friday night with a couple of tinnies, and the other night of the week is usually just frozen stuff like oven chips and that sort of stuff, ususally if the missus is working a long day. Plenty of fish, chicken, fresh veg & pasta gets consumed in our house.

On the back of that, i would say cooking lifts me up if ive had a shit day at work.

Our diet has improve a shed load since the little dude arrived as obviously we want him to eat right and not be scared of healthy foods.

Looks like its working...

azgklu.jpg

The kid **** loves peas, bless him, it takes him ages as he insists on eating them one-by-one.

*just to clarify, we dont only give the poor kid peas. He'd finished his Sunday dinner so we put some more peas in his bowl! :lol:

Do you like spicy food at all Mike?
Well, I'm not crazy about it, no.

Although funnily enough, I'm MUCH better with Mexican/chilli type dishes than with Indian.

And BOF - I keep getting told to eat "mild" curries, and that the "good" ones aren't so much hot as "piquant" or some such. Well I've been through all that, and I'm afraid they all share that "unpleasant ordeal" experience for me. It's just not a cuisine I enjoy, I'm afraid.

That's fine. If you've tried and don't like then it's not for you :thumb:
Except that "going for a curry" is such an established part of British social life that I feel I have to do it occasionally - and I usually get into conversations like this, with much mutual incomprehension on either side.

BTW the missus makes them at home sometimes, and they're OK - but I usually find myself thinking that they'd be improved by substituting the spices for some cream or wine!

Except that "going for a curry" is such an established part of British social life that I feel I have to do it occasionally - and I usually get into conversations like this, with much mutual incomprehension on either side.

BTW the missus makes them at home sometimes, and they're OK - but I usually find myself thinking that they'd be improved by substituting the spices for some cream or wine!

Aside from the heresy of it not being a proper "traditional" curry (what the hell is at a tandoori, though?), surely you can cope with a Korma or something akin?

Aside from the heresy of it not being a proper "traditional" curry (what the hell is at a tandoori, though?), surely you can cope with a Korma or something akin?

Here we go again.

Yes, I can "cope" with it. But food shouldn't be about coping, it should be about enjoyment. And TBH I find kormas a bit sickly. I usually go for a jalfresi, as I like the tomato/onion/peppers combo. But it still leaves me wishing it was something other than a curry.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like the idea of going outside my comfort zone yet

We went with the whole family (brother ,mum and Dad all the kids) to Djibouti a few years back ..it was way way outside my parents comfort zone , we had to find a cab at the airport and haggle in French (yeah i know) where as my folks are used to a man with a sign and a car waiting for them .... When we went out to swim with the whale sharks in the Gulf of Aden as we headed back to the main boat we suddenly had 2 high speed boats full of armed men speeding towards us ( this being the Gulf of Aden where Pirates are kidnapping people ) ..turned out to be the French Foreign Legion had come to see the whale sharks as well and wanted to know where we'd seen them ..but my mum and dad did say a few months later that they were scared for a a moment .... maybe it will be my downfall one of these days but I just hadn't perceived any possible threat in the situation , or going off to Djibouti / Gulf of Aden

And honestly it is a fantastic country , not just the whale sharks but Lac Assal and some wildlife sanctuary's .. my folks are thrilled that they went they still talk about the trip as one of the best and that they got to swim with whalesharks ..saying that they have said never again :-)

I am VERY cautious about it, to the point that I would never voluntarily stray outside the Europe/Mediterranean area or North America. Wild horses wouldn't get me to any truly "third world" countries. Or even (say) Japan. WAY too much culture shock involved

trouble is nowadays thanks to the interweb going anywhere in the world is not that much of a shock any more ..Ok in Japan English is not widely spoken so there is an element of Yikes when confronted with a ticket machine not in English ( the toilets on the Shinkansen the buttons are the same as on a Playstation controller :-) ) but i usually do a bit of checking up before I go to get an idea of anything i really shouldn't do .. last trip we travelled around on the metro's all day long in Seoul, Taipei and Beijing ..it's no different to riding on the underground in London , just cheaper and with prettier women to look at :-)

Asia is pretty much wi-fi'd up the hilt so I've been in a bar in Cambodia and used "around me" on my phone to find another one that isn't full of Gary Glitter wannabe's .. it's sort of cheating to a degree :-)

I try and avoid back backer havens and go drink with the locals but even so it's still hard to find anything untouched and unique nowadays ... and the it's why I'm off to North Korea in April .. no internet , no wi-fi , no mobile signal ..no starbucks and McDonalds .. ok it hardly puts me on a parr with Dr Livingstone but it's an adventure and will be an experience none the less

anyhow , sorry for turning this into a travel thread , but I did say it was something that gave me a buzz

I was thinking more along the lines of...

Pizza

Kebabs

Fish & Chips

Burgers

Chinese food

Indian food

that's more like it , replace Indian food with a few kilos of chocolate and that would be my list

and explains my rapid weight gain since i stopped running :-( and my current diet :-( :-(

anyhow , sorry for turning this into a travel thread , but I did say it was something that gave me a buzz
No, it's interesting. And it was me that made it a travel thread, by saying that I found it stressful rather than mood lifting.

I think this and the curry conversation elsewhere just shows what a small-c conservative I am. I don't think it's an age thing - I was pretty much the same in my 20s - but it may be because I'm the only child of older parents, who were themselves very "cautious/stay-at-home/British is best" types.

Try a chicken Tarka...It's like a tikka but otter.

must admit i did chuckle ..my mate and I use the same line to the waiter every time we go for a curry , it's almost ritual now :-)

I've never travelled. It's something I would like to do but at the same time, it's not something I feel I need to do, and I am slightly cautious about it at all. That's mostly down to my own personal issues though. If I did travel though I have absolutely no interest going to Asia at all, or really anywhere that is a bit 'third world'.

I find a good film lifts my mood, I love watching films and I find I enjoy it more if we all sit down to watch something, than if I watch alone. Sadly, the latter happens more often than not. Good TV series have a similar effect.

I also find that just sitting with some drinks and my mates lifts my mood immeasurably.

comfort telly.

when exhausted, will happily watch some NCIS or old comedy shows. Beer helps, and a chippie. But if I do those last 2 too frequently I develop a guilt complex and have to cook myself a pasta dish with too many vegetables.

Going for a walk, listening to my music also, when I'm feeling down, an hour's wandering around nature with my head in the trees literally and metaphorically is fun. Unfortunately I live in Cardiff and doing this "rain-free" is a rarity.

I think what we're discovering here is peoples' differing degrees of risk aversion.

I'm classically risk averse - conservative taste in food, not a huge lover of overseas travel, never gamble, never do extreme sports, would hate to be self-employed, usually err on the side of caution. God, I'm boring!

It's something I would like to do but at the same time, it's not something I feel I need to do

i hadn't really done a lot until 2000 but my mate and I did a road trip of Austria, Slovakia,Hungary ,Czech Republic and Poland (train as we couldn't take the car in the country) and back to Hungary(instead of Germany) as we'd had such a blast there

Apart from Austria I knew nothing of these places but you rock up , find a B&B or hotel , dump the car pick up a local map and just walk(tram/bus whatever) about and see the city and all it's got to offer .. then you go get pissed until the small hours of the morning and move on ( probably whilst still drunk thinking back on it) or stay another day or more if it is interesting enough to warrant it

it really is awesome , you sort of feel the history around you ( history being an interest of mine) see some amazing stuff

and that was me hooked ... 10 years later i'm still hooked and rapidly approaching my 100th country (hopefully next year )

Â