Things that lift your mood

Shillzz

Computer games: FM and things like Drake's fortune really make me happy. I am 40 next week but I am still a child when it comes to games.

Computer games actually usually leave me feeling quite irritated, particularly Football Manager.

Same here, a bad hour or 2 on Call Of Duty = rage quit and making the cat sleep outside for the night!

I've always admired my current girlfriend for the ability to remain happy & confident regardless of what she is wearing or how she looks, but for me, if I think I look like crap, then I feel like crap.

One thing I found that improved my happiness massively was simply closing my laptop and just getting out the house more and seeing family and friends. Everyday, purely out of habit, I would sit in my living room on an evening and spend hours online, just refreshing facebook, twitter, VT ( :notsure: *pokerface*), bbc sport, etc. I think it's really unhealthy to spend so long infront of a screen. I'm strict with myself now, I only go on for half an hour or so. I go to bed not feeling like I'm wasting my life.

Something else I've tried to STOP doing (sorry, I realise that's not the theme of the thread) is worrying. I've realised it does no good and just stresses you out. I could make a long list of things that are worrying me at the moment, I bet you next week I wouldn't even remember them. Things usually work out

As crazy as this sounds, i actually find building flat-pack furniture quite therapeutic.

No way, I absolutely love making Ikea stuff also.

No instructions needed any more really either for 90 % of it.

I think this is connected to my models that I build that I forgot to put in the above list.

Yes, little models and stuff. You can lose hours and hours.....

Thats something ive never done but always fancied.

I'd love to give one of these bad boy's a go...

LEGO-Death-Star.jpg

or

110922_M.jpg

I love cranking my bass guitar out. Ive recently discovered the amazing world of Valve amps after years of solid state/hybrid. Getting THAT break-up valve sound while jamming the bass solo in My Generation always makes me feel monu-fucki-mental. Cant believe it to me so long to discover valves!

And the other one is holidays (away from home, that is). They always make me feel a bit stressed and anxious. I make myself travel because I think it's good for me, and good to look back on. But I'm always massively relieved to get back home (although not back to work).

any part of it in particular that gives you stress or just the whole package ?

Something else I've tried to STOP doing (sorry, I realise that's not the theme of the thread) is worrying. I've realised it does no good and just stresses you out. I could make a long list of things that are worrying me at the moment, I bet you next week I wouldn't even remember them. Things usually work out

How do you stop yourself from worrying about said issues?

As crazy as this sounds, i actually find building flat-pack furniture quite therapeutic.

No way, I absolutely love making Ikea stuff also.

No instructions needed any more really either for 90 % of it.

I think this is connected to my models that I build that I forgot to put in the above list.

Yes, little models and stuff. You can lose hours and hours.....

Thats something ive never done but always fancied.

I'd love to give one of these bad boy's a go...

LEGO-Death-Star.jpg

or

110922_M.jpg

If you're going to do one, it needs to be this one:

200911212747734.72314bd8-c9b8-42f4-8be5-6f5a295a74d5.jpg

A childhood favourite of mine.

normally for me I dive head first into a bottle of the nearest alcohol, doesnt really cheer me up normally I end up getting even more pissed off and then wake up with the horrors the next day (which can last 2 or 3 days these days :-(

other than that music, music is a **** amazing healer regardless of how I feel there is some music I can put on which, whilst it doesnt cheer me up it makes me realise that someone somewhere has been through the same sort of thing.

also I find that when I'm pissed off or stressing about something the worst thing for me is to be around people, I deal with stress and worry a lot better when I am on my own and not being hassled by people. I either probably dont wanna talk about it and if people are not talking about it then I end up putting it to the back of my mind only for it to come flooding back to the front as soon as I am alone again, much better to sit down alone for however long it takes and try to get some sort of order back into my mind

having a good old fashioned tug is always a winner as well...unless you are stressing about a bird then you will probably start crying at the point of ejaculation

How do you stop yourself from worrying about said issues?

I suppose I can't switch it off totally, I just mean I look back at stuff I've worried about in the past and now realise there was no need to get stressed over it because things worked out. Things like upcoming job interviews, financial trouble, unsettled arguements or whatever. So why bother getting stressed about something I'll look back on as nothing in the future. Hakuna matata and all that

Although I suppose my worries are silly little things in the great scheme of things anyway

And the other one is holidays (away from home, that is). They always make me feel a bit stressed and anxious. I make myself travel because I think it's good for me, and good to look back on. But I'm always massively relieved to get back home (although not back to work).

I think it's the whole package. Being out of my comfort zone, basically - using foreign languages, worrying about losing stuff, strange cars and road rules, anxiety about the house being burgled while we're away, inability to get Marmite and decent ale, that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, there's usually a lot that I DO enjoy as well, but I never completely relax, as I would at home.

I think it's the whole package. Being out of my comfort zone, basically - using foreign languages, worrying about losing stuff, strange cars and road rules, anxiety about the house being burgled while we're away, inability to get Marmite and decent ale, that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, there's usually a lot that I DO enjoy as well, but I never completely relax, as I would at home.

I totally understand that. I usually get home and think, 'Well...I took that for granted'

Playing golf. Hand on heart, i can say that when im walking around the golf course, i havnt got a care in the world.

But a (very) bad round can surely darken the mood?

Camping with mates. (Shock horror.)

A good weekend away with decent weather and some camping, a stew or two, a fair few beers and just relaxing really helps me.

Playing golf. Hand on heart, i can say that when im walking around the golf course, i havnt got a care in the world.

Frustrating more than anything, even if i play badly it never puts me in a bad mood, but everything can change within the space of a couple of holes. You could shank one into the trees off the 1st tee and finish up with a bogey...then go and put your approach shot on the 2nd to within 4 feet and sink the put for a birdie, back to level par and the 1st is forgotten.

Yes, if you have a complete mare over 18 holes, then you do tend to leave the course a little pissed off. It pisses you off because you know you can do it, i mean ive pared every hole on my home course and birdied probably 14/15 of the holes at some point...why the hell cant it just come together on the same day!?!?

using foreign languages, worrying about losing stuff, strange cars and road rules

that's part of the buzz for me ... nothing like trying to communicate with somebody who you can't understand and who doesn't understand you ( sounds like Drat and me in a Bolitics thread:-) )

saying that technology has kinda cheated a bit now , was in Ostrava a good few years back trying to arrange a train to Krakow whilst wanting to leave our bags and car somewhere safe , so after 5 mins of sign language and blank stares I rang a colleague of mine at CSFB who was Czech and got him to speak to the person on the phone ... simples as they say ( but didn't back then as it was 2001 )

sometimes a local will take pity on you and come and help and that's what I like best , when I arrived in Taiwan my luggage hadn't (it had gone to Hong Kong) but a woman on my flight noticed i was looking lost came and asked if I needed help , took me to the luggage desk , spoke to the people , filled in all the forms and arranged to get it delivered to my hotel the next morning and then she went off on her way .... After I cleared immigration I found her and her boyfriend waiting for me as she wanted to check if I needed a lift to my hotel ... it's the little things like that bring a smile to my face and endear you to a country and it's people .. Taiwan itself wasn't fantastic but I'll always remember it fondly just for her act of kindness if that makes sense

Frustrating more than anything, even if i play badly it never puts me in a bad mood, but everything can change within the space of a couple of holes. You could shank one into the trees off the 1st tee and finish up with a bogey...then go and put your approach shot on the 2nd to within 4 feet and sink the put for a birdie, back to level par and the 1st is forgotten.

Yes, if you have a complete mare over 18 holes, then you do tend to leave the course a little pissed off. It pisses you off because you know you can do it, i mean ive pared every hole on my home course and birdied probably 14/15 of the holes at some point...why the hell cant it just come together on the same day!?!?

My last round, apart from the first 3 holes or so, was really decent, and I left a happy bunny, especially after a textbook par on the 18th. But the round before that I was not so good, and left the course feeling quite dissapointed with myself.

But yes, I'd agree that the act of golf itself is quite therapeutic, and it's 4 hours of not worrying about anything else other than the round itself.

:nod:

Â