Villa Kit 2012-2013

deeps

Are the socks going to be blue? This is important :P

In one of the videos they show a cut up claret sock with AVFC emblazoned across it in sky blue. Might not mean anything but then again, it might.

I'd prefer blue socks personally.

It certainly looks like a West Ham kit especially as all of their kits have a ****-off massive Aston Villa Lion embossed on the back. Nevermind Macron, back to the drawing board.

Also, the only reason they play in Claret and Blue is because we gave them our kits just before the 1900's. For this reason, our kits are always going to be similar.

It certainly looks like a West Ham kit especially as all of their kits have a ****-off massive Aston Villa Lion embossed on the back. Nevermind Macron, back to the drawing board.

Also, the only reason they play in Claret and Blue is because we gave them our kits just before the 1900's. For this reason, our kits are always going to be similar.

Didn't know that! BRB just gonna jump in the time machine with 22 of these :P :

s497pc.jpg

Didn't one of our coaches lose a bet with the West Ham coach that he couldn't pay so he stole a kit to make good? West Ham skipped off back to London with a new kit and that has been their colours ever since.

Does anybody know how much the shirts will cost w/ and w/out a personalised name on the back.

And also, will they only be available in villa stores or in any sports store? Thanks in advance.

They are available on Villa online store now... with prices, etc.

You can buy Leeds and West Ham shirts at other locations so don't see why not Villa. Just may take time to find its way to the stores while Villa cash in. (nothing wrong with that BTW IMO)

Does anybody know how much the shirts will cost w/ and w/out a personalised name on the back.

And also, will they only be available in villa stores or in any sports store? Thanks in advance.

You can buy Leeds and West Ham shirts at other locations so don't see why not Villa. Just may take time to find its way to the stores while Villa cash in. (nothing wrong with that BTW IMO)

Thank you fery much. :D

Didn't one of our coaches lose a bet with the West Ham coach that he couldn't pay so he stole a kit to make good? West Ham skipped off back to London with a new kit and that has been their colours ever since.

Yeah I heard something like that. I think it was something like this West Ham coach or player bet some of the Villa coaches or players that he could beat them in a sprint. He won, quite comfortably I think, and he asked for some of our old kits as payment for the bet and from then on West Ham adopted claret and blue as their own colours.

A shame he didn't have a race with some guys from Blackpool instead.

Our shade of claret is nicer anyway. As someone said earlier, it's more of a deep claret-red than the purple-claret West Ham have.

£50 !!!!

Fifty effing quid for a shirt !! Thats a piss take no matter who is making the bloody thing !!!

Its going to cos me approx £208 just for shirts / kits !!!

No wonder our season tickets are so cheap the bloody % margin on the kits must be 500%

£50 !!!!

Fifty effing quid for a shirt !! Thats a piss take no matter who is making the bloody thing !!!

Its going to cos me approx £208 just for shirts / kits !!!

No wonder our season tickets are so cheap the bloody % margin on the kits must be 500%

That's about the going rate these days. Man U asking £55 for their new long sleeve shirt.

Yeah I heard something like that. I think it was something like this West Ham coach or player bet some of the Villa coaches or players that he could beat them in a sprint. He won, quite comfortably I think, and he asked for some of our old kits as payment for the bet and from then on West Ham adopted claret and blue as their own colours.

Our shade of claret is nicer anyway. As someone said earlier, it's more of a deep claret-red than the purple-claret West Ham have.

I think that West Ham kit story is simply East London urban myth, there are no facts to substantiate it at all. My view would be that they (like many other clubs) simply copied Villa's colours because Villa were the most famous and celebrated club around. There's no shame in that, but I feel West Ham are a little too proud to admit it and have thus pedalled this story over the years. It's a nice little story. I heard another West Ham story that they wore the colours because the blue represented the colour of the River Thames and the claret represented the blood of the royalty who used to frequent the area (something like that.)

At least Burnley have no problem at all in admitting that they changed their kit to claret and blue in 1910 because of the influence of Villa. There's no harm in paying tribute to the originals.

I think that West Ham kit story is simply East London urban myth, there are no facts to substantiate it at all.

Actually, I think there are facts to back up the West Ham story.

Pretty sure I read it was documented somewhere in West Ham's official history. I'll try and find it.

I take it back, it appears you may be right. The story is in some unofficial history of West Ham but appears there's no evidence to back it up

I am sure it was mentioned on sky sports a couple seasons ago but that may have been about burnley.

the story seems to be backed up in wikipedia but even i had a wikipedia page recently

There is a story that in the summer of 1899 Bill Dove, a sprinter of national repute who was involved in coaching the Ironworks team, was challenged to a race with four Aston Villa players at a fair in Birmingham. Dove won but the Villa men could not pay the wager so one of them pinched a set of claret and blue shirts from his club (he was responsible for doing the laundry) to settle the bet. There is, however, no evidence that the team ever wore their new shirts.

In June 1900, the club was formally wound up. The Ironworks had become a company owned by shareholders who were not prepared to fund the team. For every share sold in the new company to the public, Arnold Hill bought one too. The club was allowed to continue playing at the Ironworks sports ground for a generous rent and Arnold Hills became the president of the new West Ham United, who signed professional players. A claret stripe was added to the shorts, claret being the commercial colour of the Ironworks, and the old vermilion socks were replaced by black ones. The next season a claret hoop was added to the shirt, which became known as the "Union Jack" strip and in 1903 the now familiar claret shirts with light blue sleeves were adopted. The team continued to be known as the "red, white and blues" for some time.

link

Â