Villa Kit 2012-2013

deeps

Well I am 41 and I am proud to say I wear my shirt any day , any time , anywhere !/

In fact, I know we moan about paying 40 quid or whatever, but I must get more value out of my Villa shirt than about 20 Designer shirts that cost more put together !!.

Old ones, well as I burn easily, they are used when I go in swimming pools, sea , water parks on holiday.

Well I am 41 and I am proud to say I wear my shirt any day , any time , anywhere !/

In fact, I know we moan about paying 40 quid or whatever, but I must get more value out of my Villa shirt than about 20 Designer shirts that cost more put together !!.

Old ones, well as I burn easily, they are used when I go in swimming pools, sea , water parks on holiday.

that would average out that you pay just over £2.00 per 'designer' shirt

you flash git

Reebok 95/96 Home was my favourite kit of recent history - lovely material and print. They then fooked up with the next kit that looked like a migrain headache occurring all over it.

Our Umbro 'lace up' retro kit of 1992/93 was also a super job. I thought we looked really unique (better than Uniteds and Ipswich's kit of the same season) and real classy in that kit. Even Frank McAvennie.

Our worst kits in recent times have been Asics 1993/94 and 94/95 - abosolute dross - my Villa badge fell off after two washes and on low temperatures.

I'll give Macron a chance, but I would prefer (for what I believe is the club's sake) to see Nike continue - even after the farce of the delays...

I don't subscribe to whoever the '33 year old' was that said it was childish for grown men to be seen wearing football tops. Snob... :-p Amateur!!! lol I am 37 and wear my shirt with pride.

I don't put player names and numbers on the back - but I put my own name and number on instead. The shirt is MINE.

said 33 year old was myself........... i didnt say I was right, I just said in my opinion it is childish for grown men to wear footy replica tops in everyday life........... if that makes me a snob, then so be it......

Glad we agreed on that then...

I live in London. I work in the west end and got out of work early today so went for a little wonder. Soccer scene have all our gear on show. Nike town too. After I went to sports direct to see a West Ham kit to see the possible quality if the rumours are true. Erm a massive sports shop in London dont sell west ham tops. Not just that but there wee no Marcon kits at all. Not even Napoli. But not to have west ham was a joke. I aske the bloke and he said they don't sell hammer kits!!!

it lists basket ball, maybe they sponsor the major teams in the NBL?

nope not one

baseball? they list baseball so they must have some shit hot teams they are associated with?

Whilst I see your point, it's worth noting that in the NBA and MLB the league negotiates a deal for one company to provide every team with its uniforms and all other fan apparel. The NBA deal is currently with Adidas and I think the MLB deal is with Majestic.

I don't think Macron has any representation in US sports.

on their web site you would think they would be rolling out all the selling points and all the successful teams and sports stars they are associated with

there isnt any

they are clearly a budget company, the teams who are under them support this.

I've come to the conclusion that this Macron rumour has to be a wind up. Villa should not be selling themselves short and going bargain basement - and I don't believe they will.

It's not.

Where is it widely regarded that City will change soon? Who do you think they'll change to? Reckon adidas or Nike or one of the others?quote]

Only from what I've read apologies if it comes across as a confirmed ITK.

Off Topic but basically AS I UNDERSTAND:

- Man City signed a 10 year deal with Umbro back in 2009 - when Mark Hughes was manager.

- Since then things have taken off and City want their kits to be on par with:

- Liverpool 25M per season (Warrior sports next season)

- Utd 20M per season / Nike

- They are looking at increasing/breaking the contract to get the best deal.

Rumours were that Umbro were willing to pay £200 million to continue the contract. (Conspiracys say the conveniently covers Citys Financial Fair play debts, and Umbro are a Manc company so would like to keep City.... The report I read in the FT states that Umbro would make no money off this).

Just my thoughts ...

And how do you know the only contract Umbro want is England?

I remember when the England deal was up in 2008 (another 10 year deal), Umbro were struggling to beat off Nike, but simply had to get the contract as its a massive money spinner, whether we qualified for the national competitions or as in that year.... did not.

Basically this is all what I have read over the years... not gospel and prob all B/S. My main point from the origianl post is that I dont want Macron.

Fair enough. I think the reality is that it'll be Macron though.

In terms of MC and England, you know Nike own Umbro now right? And don't believe everything you read in the papers ;)

I live in London. I work in the west end and got out of work early today so went for a blah blah blah

it lists basket ball, maybe they sponsor the major teams in the NBL?

nope not one

baseball? they list baseball so they must have some shit hot teams they are associated with?

blah blah blah

I've come to the conclusion that this Macron rumour has to be a wind up. Villa should not be selling themselves short and going bargain basement - and I don't believe they will.

It's not.

Kit deals are not really subjective to much speculation. You can't hide stuff like this, too many people involved. There's got to be at least 75% chance from industry rumors and at least 50% chance the deal will go through. It's not like a crazy player transfer.

When it was Hummel I never bothered and if it becomes Macron I won't bother either. It don't purposely buy these crap names in general so I'm not gonna bother doing so just cos Villa have linked up with these crap names.

It's all about personal choice I guess. Nike, Adidas or Puma and I'll get one.

The Mail are running this story today.

ASTON Villa are set to dump global sportswear firm Nike following a kit quality row – and will announce a major multi-million pound new deal in March.

The link will see a new manufacturer replace the US brand as official supplier and partner to the Villa Park club.

The move to ditch Nike, which had a £10 million three-year deal with the club, follows a dispute over the quality of matchday, training and replica gear supplied to the club by the firm, which also produces kit for Manchester United, Arsenal and Barcelona.

Villa merchandising manager John Greenfield said the club would officially announce the new deal in the spring when contractual negotiations were completed.

He said: “We will be in a position to make the announcement in March. At Villa, a contract is a contract and we would not want to do anything to jeopardise this.

“But it would be fair to say that we have had issues in the past with Nike over manufacturing problems and delivery.’’

The merchandising boss refused to reveal the new manufacturer, but added: “We have excellent strong relationships with many brands.”

However, internet speculation has identified Italian firm Macron as successor to Nike.

Replica shirt sales can be worth up to an annual £6 million to Villa. The club sells on average 100,000 shirts each season bringing vital revenue to the club.

Mr Greenfield said his staff had been scouring the globe to find a new manufacturer which would give the club the best deal financially and in terms of quality and reliability.

“We have to stay one step ahead of the trends. My staff and I watch hundreds of games and see all sorts of different kit designs. We spend many hours each year looking at what’s new,” he said.

“We’ve got to be sure that when the new contract is signed, it is best for Aston Villa and fans, while the quality is of the required standard,” he added.

The merchandising chief said the new shirt design would only be decided after consultations with fans’ groups.

“We have forums and various focus groups to look at new designs. Only when every opinion has been considered will a decision be taken. The club and supplier will then get together to decide on the final look,” he revealed.

However, he said Villa would never depart from its traditional claret and blue colours, even though the club has used different combinations in the past including stripes, halved shirts and even a green and navy away kit.

“Our badge and colours are priceless for the brand of Aston Villa FC,’’ Mr Greenfield added.

‘‘We are very big on tradition and that is reflected in our kit design. Our main shirt will always be the same colours and our away shirts will normally be white or yellow.’’

Mr Greenfield said it was well-documented that the club changed its kit design every 12 months.

“We have not had a significant hike in the cost of a replica shirt for almost a decade and supporters realise that the design is changed every season. We have never tried to hide this,” he claimed.

“Shirts have developed from traditional styles to high-fashion items. Supporters are very demanding and they want the latest look at a good price. And they want them quickly.

“As soon as the shirt is revealed we are inundated with pre-orders and requests about the launch date. Demand is phenomenal.’’

Nike declined to comment.

Here's the original

Interesting perspective from Mr Greenfield. The article firmly points the finger at Nike over late delivery, yet we all know that sponsorship deals have recently not been signed until the eve of the season. If, as the article suggests, we sell 100k jerseys a year (and I've heard the figure is closer to a third of that) it's going to take a long time to put those sponsor logos onto all of those shirts.

It'll be interesting to see when this year's shirts are on sale - if the deal isn't being announced until March and then we're going to do a supporters consultation to decide the design it won't leave long to get that implemented and made. I'd suggest either the design is already done and the consultation will be a rubber stamping process or they'll be late again.

To put some perspective on it, in the next few weeks most clubs will be seeing designs for the 2013/4 season. That's how long it takes to develop and manufacture football kits.

I was also disappointed to read Mr Greenfield's perspective on the kit colours. Home in claret and blue, great. Away white or yellow? How many yellow kits have we ever had? And restricting the suppliers in terms of away kit design is hardly going to drive additional revenues is it? Most people seemed to love the black one a couple of years ago. Away kit designs are the easiest way to ramp up sales and bring precious extra funds into the club. But we'll just stick with what we know, thanks.

It'd be nice to see some other products in the retail environment that would drive more revenue - better quality of design through fan product etc. I live in hope...

I see where you are coming from with the sponsorship changes etc but I think it's safe to say that if this man signs the deadlines with Nike and then says we got messed about that we got messed about

moving away from Nike isn't the issue IMO they messed us about for years, charge too much for generic training gear and IMO don't have a good product, especially this year, forget the design element (which isn't great) the dry fit is horrible

I see where you are coming from with the sponsorship changes etc but I think it's safe to say that if this man signs the deadlines with Nike and then says we got messed about that we got messed about.

I don't think it's as simple as that myself.

Where do you think we are in terms of shirt sales out of all the English clubs?

Top 10?

Top 8?

I'd say that we're probably ninth or tenth behind this lot -

Manchester United

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

Manchester City

Newcastle United

Tottenham Hotspur

Everton

I wonder how many shirts Man City sold before Sheikh Mansour and how that compares with how many they sell now.

Also I wonder how many shirts Chelsea sold before Abramovich and how that compares with how many they sell now.

Â