War Horse

wiggyrichard

Seen the trailer on TV a couple of times now. Critics are going mental over it saying Spielberg is more or less certain to clean up at the Oscar's with this.

Never read the book, anyone mind giving me a quick heads up on what its about (apart from a horse!)?

Never seen a horse movie that I thought was good. Even dog movies trump them. Well unless you count Hoss' Operas I suppose

It's about a guy who has a horse and they go off and fight the war or something aint it. Horse probably dies I expect? And the horse has such a strong character that you would think he were a person waa waa boo hoo won't be watching it

Read the book to my son and seen the play. Basically its the story of a horse and its life, going from rural Devon, being sold to be in the cavalry, through to being involved in WW1 and then the reunion with his original owner’s son. The book is for children, the play still for children, but has a wide family appeal and is really well done.

I am sure the film will look beautiful, but probably lose some of the grit of the original, but thats just a guess.

WHAT well I'm telling you now, I am never watching this film, if the horse died it might be OK (see Marley and Me for a dog film that was OK for the same reason) but it DOESNT DIE not even in a tragic and heroic way?

Maybe Spielberg will change the ending so it does.

As part of my continued anti-War Horse agenda I will from this point forth only refer to the book/play/film as BORE HORSE and make very vocal my dislike of it, even though I have never read/seen it, and base my disdain purely on my hatred of horsey films

Never seen a horse movie that I thought was good.

Speak to Rob, I'm sure he'll sort you out with something.

Well I've seen Mr. Hands, wasn't very taken with it, although I suppose it was quite funny. All those funny noises he makes :lol: And then when you find out he died after, well that really tops it off :P 6/10 probably not worthy of an oscar nomination

Oh actually. I did watch ZOO. It's a feature length kinda mocu/documentary about the case of Mr. Hands and his chums and what they got up to on that farm in Washington (I think it was?), which bought about the illegality of Beastiality in that state, as it hadn't been previously. They were all charged with either animal cruelty or trespassing as getting **** up the arse by a horse was was A-OK at the time.

That's the best horse film I have seen for sure

Anybody seen the stage play? I haven't, but I've seen demonstrations of the "horse puppetry" - which I thought would inevitably be shite, but was actually rather amazing.

Anybody seen the stage play? I haven't, but I've seen demonstrations of the "horse puppetry" - which I thought would inevitably be shite, but was actually rather amazing.

yes; the horses are very good, and the play is well done and I believe been highly successful.

If the trailer is anything to go by, it's one of the most cynically sentimental things ever consigned to film.

That was my first impression too. Think i'll be steering well clear.

(the fact I have a massive phobia/hatred of horses doesn't really help either)

I'm no fan of horses either to be fair. That an ex was a huge horse-y person was not good. They're too **** big and too **** stupid. Was terrified stood next to the bastard thing.

As for the film, you can look at the trailer with a check list of 'worthy big budget tear jerker for the family' tropes. Even the cinematography has that family afternoon heartwarmer glow to it, every shot seems to exude cynicism. Ugh.

The trailer popped up while we were waiting for the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to start. You could hear the cinema groan.

The scenes in the trailer that showed a horse GALLOPING across what appeared to be No-Man's_Land stretched my credibility so far that there is absolutely no way I would bother with this movie, even if I am somewhat of an amateur Great War buff. I mean, come on, barbed wire, artillery such as the world has never seen since, trenches and especially General Mud. C'mon, d'you think I'm a moron? That gee gee wouldn't likely last twenty minutes in that environment, and galloping? I'm thinking NOT.

Â