Musicals

irreverentad

I saw the Spike Milligan musical version of Adolf Hitler: My Part In His Downfall (I was given a free ticket), but other than that I've never really had any desire to go to the theatre to watch a musical. Saying that, I'd really like to see the musical of The Harder They Come (if it's even still going?), but then I love the film and the sound track.

Many years ago I got my wife tickets to go see Les Mis in the West End. Obviously it would be off to send her on her own, so I went along. What's the worst that can happen, I thought. If it's truly dull I can just sit there for 2 hours mentally plotting and scheming my world take over.

Bloody show just blew me away from start to finish, loved it.

Many many years I pulled the same trick again and bought tickets for Blood Brothers. What a pile of trite crap that was, awful.

• 4 years later...
30 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Hamilton, best musical I've seen *ghey*

I took my lot to see Hamilton a couple of weeks ago and they were strongly of the same opinion, and they've seen a few.

Wife still thinks an early production of Les Mis was the best, but had Hamilton as strong second. The kids had Hamilton as a strong first place 'best ever'.

Personally, I've sat through my last musical. Whilst they were rapping away to american history lessons, I was touring Soho's grubby little back street vinyl dens.

I like Wicked so much I can list my top 5 songs from it

The Wizard and I

No Good Deed

Defying Gravity 

One Short Day 

Popular 

We saw it again at the Hippodrome last week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

I like Wicked so much I can list my top 5 songs from it

The Wizard and I

No Good Deed

Defying Gravity 

One Short Day 

Popular 

We saw it again at the Hippodrome last week.

I took my wife to see it a couple of weeks ago. 

It was awful. 

I just can't be having the songs. They sound like (and this goes for most musicals imo) they have been written by some posho 6th form drama club with help from a drunk music teacher.

They just aren't for me.

I'll go to others in the future, but purely because theatre tickets pretty much guarantee the Mrs will sit on my face and do all the other good stuff afterwards, so I don't mind suffering for a couple of hours. 

• Like 1

Musicals from the 1930s and 40s (Busby-Berkeley, Astaire & Rogers, etc.) were great. The last decent one was South Pacific (1948?). All that Sondheim, Lloyd Webber, Les Mis stuff is shite. 

• Like 1

Â