• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Petrov
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Hutton (for Cuéllar 55)
    • Albrighton (for Ireland 68)
    • Bannan (for Clark 85)

When Guzan was injured and it looked bad, why the hell wasn't Andy Marshall warming up?? The logical thing to do would be to have the backup at least stretch right? The 3rd sub still hadn't been made. This is asinine really.

I may be wrong but hadn't we already brought on Hutton, Albrighton and Bannan by the time Guzan was injured? If so I make it that we had already made 3 substitutions which is, I understand, the maximum allowed.

I thought it was before Bannan came on. If not, scratch that paragraph out of my post match rant!

You are right! McLeish out for using all 3 subs!! :)

If we are being honest though pacb, he was never going to be a success was he?

It seems to me too many of our supporters are not willing to give him a chance because of where he came from, and consequently want us to lose another £5m to get rid off him.

You can't ignore the fact that the negativity around the club has not helped the team on match days, that the lack of reluctance to get on the teams back is not conducive to free flowing football.

McL will get the sack, probably this time next year, and we will have to pay out another £3/4m in compensation.Personally i would rather go out and use the clubs money to buy better players.....starting with a LB.

I don't agree.

you look at what a manager has achieved to see where he might take you. Mcleish's highlight was the CCC with blues - but then he blotted his copy book by getting the club relegated. Despite have a squad of players good enough to stay up. - thats his second relegation in 3 premiership seasons.

His record in the transfer market isn't great either.

Those are my reasons for thinking he isn't the man for us. That said - if we start winning games on a regular basis my mind can be changed. And yes I am fickle.

When Guzan was injured and it looked bad, why the hell wasn't Andy Marshall warming up?? The logical thing to do would be to have the backup at least stretch right? The 3rd sub still hadn't been made. This is asinine really.

I may be wrong but hadn't we already brought on Hutton, Albrighton and Bannan by the time Guzan was injured? If so I make it that we had already made 3 substitutions which is, I understand, the maximum allowed.

I thought it was before Bannan came on. If not, scratch that paragraph out of my post match rant!

You are right! McLeish out for using all 3 subs!! :)

LOL, there are many reasons for wanting McLeish out but even I would have difficulty in supporting his demise for not being clairvoyant!!

What kind of tactical genius are you then.

The game plan was to play Ireland off Bent, with Gabby and N'Zog playing wide with 2 holding midfielders.The EXACT tactics if you like that Swansea deployed.

What killed us today was giving such an early goal away.The spark went out the players, the crowd, then impatience set in, then instead of the better players wanting the ball, and trying things, they become too conservative, hence no supply for Bent.

Listen i've yet to be convinced by McL, but i won't judge him until he gets his own players in.

Do you really believe that!!! I'm incredulous that you can say that. AMcL has inherited a pretty good squad of players and he has got us playing like a Sunday League team. I would not trust him with a penny piece given his judgement is so poor.

Compare that to Brendan Rogers who has made a team of fundamentally Championship players look like a side who can stay in the Premiership. Lets not forget that their second goal was scored by Wayne **** Routeledge, someone who could not get anywhere near our first team and looked out if his depth when he did. That shows how shit we really were.

As for the support that was pretty good during the first half and we were very much behind the team. Second half when you would have hoped that a half time team talk would have had us up and at them we concede a comedy goal and then look utter bollocks for the rest of the half. 14 corners and from not one did we look like we would score. In fact we would not have scored if we were still playing now.

All today demonstrated to me was that we paid good money to poach a piss poor manager to lead us into the wilderness (but of course the gentlemen who run the club would never approach an incumbent manager without his club's permission until they want to recruit Alex McLeish)

The simple truth is we could and should have got a good young manager like Brendan Rogers who, put bluntly, taught us a footballing lesson today.

But then I am just a **** mug who wasted his cash on two season tickets.

Yet another absolutely terrible performance today, it makes the great win at Chelsea worthless.

The Villa back 4 all looked old and slow, and then we brought on Hutton to make matters worse, wtf???

Are we ever going to win back-to-back games this season?

Ultimately I think Swansea should be given credit for a good performance, they were gifted 2 goals and then got men behind the ball and played classic counter attack just like we did on Saturday at the bridge. Fair play to them.

For me our problems lie deeper than one game, there are problems from the top down at VP at the moment. I have a ST in the Lower North and the mood as soon as we conceded today was awful. Whilst I can't say I'm Warnocks biggest fan, the abuse I heard him getting from his own fans today was well ott. The whole match day experience is becoming a joke, the place feels like it's constantly half step away from imploding, people around me can't say a word without someone shouting down their necks. Whether you are going to give AMC a chance or not, people need to support the team on the pitch, but at the moment people seem more intent on shouting at the manager or at each other. ;-(

Not sure whether this was on motd but the Swansea manager said something after the game that I thought was really interesting along the lines of:

'There are lots of british players that can play football, whether their managers ask them to is another matter.'

Christ, some of the comments on here are baffling.

We didn't lose today because we didn't drop 7 players like Swansea, and the players were tired. What is the first thing a team want to do after a brilliant away win at Chelsea? The answer: Play again. Tiredness just does not play a part.

The reason we lost today is simple: We clearly didn't research how our opponents play and the tactics and formation employed by McLeish today lost us the game. Let me explain. Swansea pass the ball from the back, and use every player in passing moves, including the keeper. What this does is let them dictate the tempo of the game, build up possession, frustrate the opposition and most importantly stretch the play, helping them to play the passing game they are well known for. So what does Alex McLeish do to combat this? He puts Darren Bent on his own up front, a player who does not pressurise and doesn't have the speed to put defenders under pressure. Subsequently we've got Mr Bent jogging aimlessly from one side of the pitch to the other, Swansea easily passing the ball around and opening the pitch up ready for their next attack, while the crowd get increasingly frustrated at the tactical ineptness of our team.

What we should have done, is kept Gabby up front either on his own or with Bent (preferably on his own) and kept a high line so Swansea were forced into mistakes and forced into reconsidering their own game plan. We DIDN'T do that, we played straight into their hands because of our shocking tactics.

Our previous three games, with Bent out of the side, has been by far our best football of the season. We bring him back, and we look like we're playing with 10 men again, surprise, surprise. Our best player by far this season, Gabby, is forced to play on both wings during the game and centrally for a short period towards the end. What must he be thinking? He is being WASTED by McLeish. Our best player against Chelsea, Ireland, and a player who clearly needs a run in the team, gets taken off when we are chasing the game? Work that one out? Especially as he was playing better than the rest today. And, to cap off the numerous bizarre decisions, our recently named player-of-the-month Marc Albrighton was dropped to the bench for some unknown reason. He is another player who needs a run of games and his confidence to remain high, not being dropped as soon as your so-called star striker is back in the fold.

So to those who have said: "He played the same system today, it was purely the players to blame etc" - Rubbish! To play the same "system" you have to be playing the same or like-for-like personnel, which we weren't. It was patently obvious after 20 minutes what the problem was.

And yes, Alex McLeish is totally and utterly to blame. I'm really surprised that so few can see why. He doesn't know what his best system is, he doesn't know what his best team is, he doesn't know whether he should be attacking games or waiting patiently (Chelsea aside), he doesn't know when to make substitutions, he picks players on reputation rather than form, he clearly doesn't research his opposition, he doesn't know how to change a game or react to things during a match, and he's got a shocking win percentage as Villa manager. Not to mention some of the most boring, insipid football I've seen at Villa Park and on the road for years.

And, to tell you the truth, if you asked him what team he was managing, I wouldn't be surprised if he hesitated after saying "Birm....."

Please **** off Alex, and take Paul and Randy with you. And that "General" bloke.

It would be shocking IF we hadn't already witnessed this tripe several times already this season.

I couldn't work out what we were attempting to do, game plan????

Credit to Swansea though and at least there were some in tune Welshmen singing lol.

Ive stayed up until now to watch the game on telly and what a waste of time...it's so depressing to be a villa fan right now..we are so clueless going forward and makes simple mistakes all the time at the back..

If we continue to play like this we will probably play in the championship next season.

I watched the game today and this is why I feel we lost them game.

1. Playing Bent up front on his own. Gabby showed on Saturday to do this effectively you need a forward who is going to hurry defenders to force them into mistakes. Bent is never going to do that so Swansea had all the time they needed to play form the back.

2. Pushing Gabby out on the wing after he had such a great game on Saturday. I'm sure it knocked his confidence and basically being a foil for Bent after out performing him all season.

3. Playing 451 against Swansea at home. I think everyone knew Swansea where going to pass it around but we are the home team coming off a great win; we needed to be more positive.

4. Major errors by our fullbacks. Warnock's was way more obvious than Cuellar but they were just as guilty of making errors that you woudn't expect from division 1 players.

5. The manager not changing it as soon as we went down 2-0. Clark should have gone off and Albrighton push out to the right wing and drop Ireland into a center two with Petrov. Bannan should then have been brought on as Petrov tired. Taking Ireland off at that time in the game was very odd indeed.

He should have start 442, Gabby and Bent up top. Albrighton and N'Zog on wings. Ireland and Petrov in center.

Bring on the next game so I can dream that we may win one.

I saw last 20 minutes. Really bad, waste of time. Nothing was happening. Swansea played better and deserve 3points.

Second goal, sh*****t.

This was Swansea first away victory. From today every team will go to Villa Park and get easy 3points.

We need something more than Kean in january.

Having taken a couple of Swansea fans to the game yesterday, it's fair to say that I've had more enjoyable days at Villa Park.

Anyway, my thoughts are this:

Good team selection, couldnt fault McLeish for the 11 that he put out.

The full backs were utter pish throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Swansea were good, all be it a little boring.

Ireland was good.

Substitutions were laughable. Bannan (or Gardner) should have been on for Clark at half time, not in the 80th minute. Bringing Albrighton on was a poor decision driven by the crowd chanting his name.

Bent was utterly useless. He doesnt suit McLeish's 'style', and one of them has to go.

Dunne was a one man defence.

We never looked like troubling them and we weren't much fun to watch. Clark was never interested in playing the ball forward, and he stifled most of our attacking promise.

Also, next time we get a corner, lets just kick it out for a goal kick and save everyone from wasting their time shall we?

Why is it when we're getting completely over ran, like yesterday, that McLeish can't do anything to change the game? What does he expect to achieve by sitting back in the dugout and hoping for the best? Gardner and Bannan should have been on at half time or soon after.

Didn't want to post last night. Up there with Manure and Liverpool for home displays of incompetence yesterday.

I actually felt like leaving after 70 minutes. Stayed til the end and we got even worse (with the exception of ALbrighton who I thought did alright when he came on).

MOTM Ireland, glad he got the standing ovation but what a foolish decision to bring him off.

Warnock had a shocker.

I thought Clark did fine.

Not much else to say, what a crashing comedown after CHelsea.

Yet another absolutely terrible performance today, it makes the great win at Chelsea worthless.

The Villa back 4 all looked old and slow, and then we brought on Hutton to make matters worse, wtf???

Are we ever going to win back-to-back games this season?

Thats the problem with our defence. 'Old and slow!'

Thats the problem with Petrov. 'Old and slow!'

Thats two thirds of the spine of our team so the results are not that surprising really are they when you also throw in one of the worst managers we have ever had and that is saying something.

The gap between our best and worst performances is way too big.

You cannot go from the sublime to the ridiculous in such a short space of time without there being a serious flaw in the makeup.

There are serious doubts about where we are going at Villa Park for me.

Â