• Clark
    • Cuéllar
    • N'Zogbia
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Delfouneso (for Heskey 46)

Why are so many so negative? This was a fantastic effort by the boys at a place where we nearly always get 'done'. Remember last season?

Of course it underlined the lack of quality that everyone must realise McLeish has to deal with. And one or two didn't show up. Albrighton either seems to be excellent or as tonight, anonymous. But the commitment of many eg: the whole defence and Stillian Petrov for instance; cannot be doubted from tonight's game.

The challenge now? Take this effort on to Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Don't feel anywhere near as despondent after that showing as a number of you here tonight. Felt we were the better team who, had the final ball been better on occasion, or Delfouneso been a little luckier, would have won the game. It was the first game of the season where we dominated the match and defended well to boot. I see it as a point gained where we normally do badly as opposed to two dropped, especially as we had no form to speak of going into the match.

Guzan - 7 - Did what he had to do with no fuss. His distribution was good too. He'll be unlucky to be dropped when Given is fit again on that showing.

Cuellar - 7 - We look a much tougher proposition with him in the side. Again, should be keeping his place in the team

Collins - 7 - If he could play like this every week he would be a good player for us. If.

Dunne - 8 - Very good. In fairness, that has been the norm for him this campaign. His experience at the back is so crucial to us right now.

Warnock - 7 - Was that a mistake free game? Can't complain about his effort or performance tonight

Albrighton - 6 - His lack of strength meant it wasn't really his night tonight. Should have done better with the crosses he did put in though. He worked hard.

Petrov - 6 - For me he isn't ever really at his best in a two-man midfield but I thought he had a generally good game.

Clark - 6 - Although he isn't a natural midfielder I thought he was very effective. Lost the ball once or twice when he shouldn't have but overall very good.

N'Zogbia - 7 - He looks better game by game. He's one good final ball or lucky goal away from vastly improving or so it seems.

Heskey - 6 - Didn't do a lot wrong, but didn't offer us much of a goal threat either. He played decently, but was rightly substituted at half time

Agbonlahor - 7 - Generally very good and fought his corner against the Stoke defence. We would miss his pace up front massively if he gets injured.

Subs:

Delfouneso - 6 - I don't think we could have asked much more from him. He did all he could when he had a scoring chance and held the ball up well.

Overall I'm reasonably pleased after watching that. I now think we'll beat Swansea quite comfortably at home and if McLeish can sign some players in January, we could be safely mid-table come the season's end. I'm not won over by him, but the situation doesn't look as desperate now as it did at the end of November.

Why are so many so negative? This was a fantastic effort by the boys at a place where we nearly always get 'done'. Remember last season?

Of course it underlined the lack of quality that everyone must realise McLeish has to deal with. And one or two didn't show up. Albrighton either seems to be excellent or as tonight, anonymous. But the commitment of many eg: the whole defence and Stillian Petrov for instance; cannot be doubted from tonight's game.

The challenge now? Take this effort on to Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

I agree with the effort thing you mentioned, our boys went out there with pride but the negativity comes from the comitting men backwards and not passing forwards despite being the better of the teams.

We had 58% posession, 9 attempts (sounds good tbh) but only 2 of them were on target and if passes completed was still a stat we'd be humiliated due to Collins and Dunne hoofing at every opportunity.

A lot of work needed tactically and clinically but effort is top notch.

Isn't the bigger picture that we now have 20 points from 18 games (soon to be 20 points from 19 games).

After the Chelsea game we'll be on target for finishing the season on 40 points. Can't see why some are pleased to be honest.

Same old average players in the team like Heskey and Collins.

Still failed to score again.

Quick mention for Fonz who did really well when he came on

I fully agree with your point about the overall performance but I think he got caught offside a bit lazily on occasions and got knocked off the ball too easily at times too. He did have a great chance to get us the 3 points though.

Fully disagree with the Fonz doing well. If you were to watch the second half again and pretend he was Heskey there would be uproar on this site. He missed the chance, should have gambled earlier and he wouldnt have arrived on the slide.

At one point Gabby was next to him with the ball, and instead of the Fonz pulling out wide he ran towards the ball, gabby had to chase his own pass into the acres of space on the wing.

Also he generally didnt look as if he knew how to play up front. Maybe its just laziness - something Fonz has been criticised before unfortunatly

Think Bannan/Ireland would have been a better option

UTV

Anyone know why Bent didn't play and how far away Herd is from returning? As clearly we can't believe a word anyone at the club **** says re-fitness - we've currently got Kim Yong Il's propaghanda machine on loan at the club.

Reporter: Is Bent fit for Chelsea?

McCleish: Absolutely, and we're expecting Collymore and Yorke to make a comeback, Heskey is so good he has to try and play down how good he is so he can carry on playing otherwise the FA would bar him from playing for giving us an unfair advantage - so he pretends to be shite, and Hutton is a respected international who almost moved to Barcelona before he decided he'd prefer life at Villa.

Disagree, gabby fired the square ball through 2 defenders wasn't a whole lot more he could do otherthan get a poorer touch on it so it span up

as for the bit where gabby chased his own pass IMO gabby should have released the fonz earlier but took about 3 touches too many

Great Point

Great Commitment from everyone tonight, I actually take lots of positives from this game

Did we really watched the same game? 2nd have must be really improvement. I just saw 1st, had to go to sleep :)

i missed the 1st half but was happy with what i saw 2nd half

We tamed Stoke and made them look crap (which they are not)

I think we can be pleased with that performance, the intent to win was there and if Emile's header and Delfouneso's chance had gone in we would have been dancing. Defended brilliantly, work-rate was superb much like the Arsenal game. A crucial point at a place where not many teams win.

Â