Sign in to follow this  
ender4

Vegetarians / Meat-Eaters

It's debateable as to whether Hitler was actually vegetarian: some records suggest that was, but others suggest that he simply cut down on meat from his diet and so people presumed he was veggie, but really he still ate pork occasionally (presumably to annoy the Jews...loljk).

I myself bloody hate vegetarians. Self-righteous, opinionated, smarmy, smug bastards.

I'll also say the same about meat eaters, as I'm a vegetarian and all.

The animals are already dead and your stance will not bring it back to life. In fact if you don't eat it there is more chance of it going to waste and dying for nothing.

Since we're all practically queuing up to boast about how smart we all are, I'll chip in with a bit of my own repressed elitism as well.I was part of this government programme back when I was 10 or 11 years old so that would put me in the "smartest" 1% of the Singaporean student population

Ahh, but do you eat meat, and more importantly if you do, do you smell?

:lol: Way to put aside people's snobbishness

If it was all simply a matter of opinion, in a similar way to "I prefer to drive a Ford, he likes Mazda" then it would be so easy, there really wouldn't be any debate, but unfortunately there is often a moral or ethical element to this debate similar to "I prefer to drive a Ford but he despises me because he thinks my Ford is destroying the earth..."

I can accept some of the nutritional and health benefits of vegetarianism (to a limited extent only though, my own belief is more in line with balanced moderation which includes meat in the diet)

Most carnivores do not accept the existence of the ethical problem that the veggie has with their bacon sarnies. I am of this mind, personally. My death row meal is a full English fried breakfast. I feel to make a moral issue out of meat eating is utopian and not really about food at all but about the imposition of a philosophical worldview and basically none of anyone's business (a concept I might add which is seriously absent from most issues these days). I will continue to enjoy fried bacon and sausage sandwiches thank you very much, and anyone giving me a hard time about it for moral or ethical reasons (especially while enjoying them ;-) should have a damn good reason for interrupting my brekkie!

But seriously though, It's about choosing battles. Everyone has their issues, but I'd really like it if people would cease and desist trying to impose their belief systems on anyone else, and mark my words, vegetarianism is as much a belief system as any religion. One can say to anyone else something like " Based on scientific research and evidence collected in studies, that bacon and sausage sandwich is destroying the ability of your blood vessels to carry their load effectively, and consumed in excess will increase your likelihood of heart disease and other cardiovascular issues". On the other hand, it becomes a religion when the advocates of vegetarianism say things like "The consumption of meat and meat products is morally wrong because it violates the rights of an animal to live a life free of pain and suffering" or "Your meat eating is shortening the lives of innocent animals and you're for all intents and purposes a murderer." The reason it is a religious belief is because it presupposes a few rather controversial philosophical ideas to be facts. One is that animals have "rights", a term we usually reserve for having relevance to humanity historically speaking. The other is the simple idea that it is somehow morally wrong to terminate the lives of other sentient beings for food, a concept that is an absolute aberration when one examines the history of the human race as a whole.

In short, although from a health and nutritional point of view, vegetarians have some some interesting points to make, and although it is certainly a good thing to avoid unnecessary suffering to our cohabitants on this earth, at the end of the day, I abhor the idea that my use of animals as food is somehow a moral lapse and something to feel guilt or shame about. I do agree that animal husbandry has for a long time now been taken over by large corporations which raise animals in industrial settings, with the heavy use of chemicals as previously mentioned... and I strive to purchase things like free range eggs, locally raised meat etc, but at the end of the day, I do believe that if one wants to avoid the consumption of meat products for health or nutritional reasons, I encourage you to do so. However if one decides to climb up on the high horse and declare my steak dinner sinful then expect to be treated with the same venom I would reserve for the proselyte who disturbs my early Saturdays with unwelcome visits.

^^^^^Mr Norton65ca - you sir, are in for a Knighthood for Post Of The Year. :clap:

If we are not supposed to eat animals then why are they made of food?

Because they stand on fields that could be full of food - its displacement theory. Only an animal takes 2.5x the food to live, than it provides. So actually, its a food resource taker. Its like saying why is a car made of oil, when it just happens to be full of oil, that you could drain and reuse. Its not an efficient way of storing oil, nor is an animal an efficient way of storing "food".

There is something primally enjoyable about tearing into a chicken. IF only our house could sustain chucking chicken legs over my shoulder and throwing beer into my face.

Veggies are missing out.

Veggies need to do the following.

Eat a juicy sirlion steak with peppercorn sauce.

Eat a Big Mac at McDonalds.

Eat a Nando's chicken, drowned in hot sauce.

Eat a hot dog with fried onions, ketchup & mustard.

they'll never go back to being a veggie again!

Veggies need to do the following.

Eat a juicy sirlion steak with peppercorn sauce.

Eat a Big Mac at McDonalds.

Eat a Nando's chicken, drowned in hot sauce.

Eat a hot dog with fried onions, ketchup & mustard.

they'll never go back to being a veggie again!

You forgot a saturday morning Bacon sandwich!

:confused: If you're eating meat you might as well chose something better than McDonalds/Nando's/hot dogs.

:confused: If you're eating meat you might as well chose something better than McDonalds/Nando's/hot dogs.

and what is better than those items for a virgin meat-eater?

they are the tastiest (& unhealthiest) items to eat.

also the Bacon sandwich as mentioned above.

There is something primally enjoyable about tearing into a chicken. IF only our house could sustain chucking chicken legs over my shoulder and throwing beer into my face.

Veggies are missing out.

Something to do with the days when men used to hunt for their meals back in the cave man days, I have read something about it before. Someone can probably explain it better then me.

Veggies are missing out.

I like to think we're just more evolved :lol:

Veggies are missing out.

Something to do with the days when men used to hunt for their meals back in the cave man days, I have read something about it before. Someone can probably explain it better then me.

Not sure if this was the explanation you were referring to but nevertheless I'll give it a try.

Very briefly put, eating meat was back in prehistoric times probably evolutionarily advantageous as it was much denser in energy than vegetables and plants, since protein and especially fat contain more calories per gram IIRC than carbohydrate.

Of course we could go down the "cow" route and spend our time grazing on grass to meet energy requirements but natural selection never endowed us with the biological mechanisms to process stiff plant matter and hence justify vegetarianism back in the day.

I.e. we did not evolve to be veggie-lovers.

Need to read more books on this.

If you like meat, eat it.

If you don't, don't.

I don't understand the fuss or this 'i can't understand why ...' nonsense comes from.

and what is better than those items for a virgin meat-eater?

they are the tastiest (& unhealthiest) items to eat.

also the Bacon sandwich as mentioned above.

The common factor in the three things you list is that they try to find flavourings to cover up the base product. There are so many better things out there.

Possibly you mistake the abundance of salt for taste. It's the usual takeaway trick. Never mind subtle spicing and careful cooking, chuck more salt on it and fry the **** until it's dark brown. So you're right about the unhealthy bit.

Burgers are so overpriced. Fatty meat that you couldn't sell on its own, minced up and reformed and oversalted and slathered with things to create either a fatty or sugary or slightly hot sensation in the mouth, but falling far short of things which do this so much better.

The Nandos chicken thingy relies heavily on a none-too-subtle hot sauce, and the "party atmosphere" further discourages people from taking the food too seriously. It's ok of its kind. I've had it twice in the last 15 years, and it's been acceptable if overpriced for what it is.

Both of these rely heavily on marketing, branding, and "ambience" to build their customer base, because it certainly isn't about the food.

If you really wanted to showcase some meat for a veggie, these would be among the very last places you should think about.

But it all fades away compared to hot dogs. Oh my god. Reconstituted mechanically recovered meat, eked out with rusk, pressed into a shape inside a plastic casing, boiled and then held in a hot bath for hours on end, served with boiled onions (they can't be arsed to fry them, let alone caramelise them to add some flavor), stuffed into the very worst kind of fake bread. And then the token offering of a watery mustard and a sugary ketchup. Urrghh. I can feel the puke rising even thinking about it. The smell. The slippery, squeaky noise these "sausages" make as they slide against each other. The dubious hygiene of the vendor. Repulsive.

Sign in to follow this  

Â