"The Hobbit" Trailer

maqroll

Lord Of The Rings Part 4 - Jackson Keeps Milking The Cash Cow

Or LOTR the prequel and Peter Jackson making another film based on Tolkiens books? Why not? I'm definitely looking forward to it. :nod:

Is it Martin Freeman that plays Bilbo? I know there's a swedish actor in this one too, IIRC. Mikael Persbrandt.

Part zero actually. The events of The Hobbit take place before LotR, the book was released before the LotR trilogy. The Hobbit remains the only Tolkien book I have ever read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Been a good 15 years since I read it though, so I have forgotten pretty much everything that happens!

Part zero actually. The events of The Hobbit take place before LotR, the book was released before the LotR trilogy. The Hobbit remains the only Tolkien book I have ever read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Been a good 15 years since I read it though, so I have forgotten pretty much everything that happens!

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favourite books I have ever read and I have fond memories of the Hobbit reading it as a kid.

I found the movies to be pretty cringe worthy and kitschy and I don't think I could put myself through it again for the Hobbit but the missus is keen so I will probably end up stumping up the cash.

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favourite books I have ever read and I have fond memories of the Hobbit reading it as a kid.

I found the movies to be pretty cringe worthy and kitschy and I don't think I could put myself through it again for the Hobbit but the missus is keen so I will probably end up stumping up the cash.

The joy of different opinions. :) I've read them too and thought the films were excellent. And we both know I'm right. ;)

Note to self: Have to read The Hobbit before the end of next year.

Thought The Hobbit (book) was a pretty decent kids' book, no more. LOTR however was one of the best things I've ever read. Didn't expect the films to be able to do it justice, but by and large they did.

Will watch the new one for sure.

This should be good, there's not much reason for it to not be. The film's been split, and I don't seem to remember the book being all that long - so they've probably let every detail stay. Shame Del Toro couldn't direct it, gather he got fed up of legal wrangling.

By the way, if you say "the first ones were boring" then you should probably leave this thread alone. It's not your cup of tea and neither will this be

The Hobbit was ok, the riddles in the dark chapter was probably the highlight.

I expect it to be a decent fare but it looks a tad CGI heavy from the trailer alone. One of the best things about the LOTR films was the scenery.

Very true. That waterfall looked well dodgy.

The Hobbit is a very different being to LOTR, it's more of a straight adventure, and far far more childish than the LOTR ever is.

Interestingly I think Jackson is probably better suited to making the Hobbit than he was to LOTR, Jackson likes action and he likes some light hearted comedy. One of the criticisms of his adaptation of the LOTR to the screen was he seemed to miss the point - the book reads like a journey more than it does an adventure. Massive action moments in the book are gone in a couple of pages, the film makes them huge lengthy setpieces. Thats not the case in the Hobbit. The Hobbit is wholly an adventure, full of action and lots of light hearted gags, Jackson will be in his element.

The only issue may be how he ties in this film to the LOTR - he clearly wants to maintain a strong connection between the 2 projects, they share an aesthetic and a style even this early on. But despite the Hobbit's nature as a prequel and featuring many familiar characters and places to the later work, as books they have a different... spirits. They don't really tie together all that well in the impression of the world they evoke - wargs in the Hobbit are talkative conniving wolves, in LOTR they are demonic twisted wolves, simply dastardly animals for example. In a book, thats not much an issue. In a film, especially one so keen to tie in to the style of an predecessor, it may be jarring.

One of the criticisms of his adaptation of the LOTR to the screen was he seemed to miss the point - the book reads like a journey more than it does an adventure..

I found reading LOTR a real struggle and will never go near it again. The films were OK but sagged in the middle.

an accurate review.

I've not read the LOTR for a long while. I read them first when I was 8 (my teacher failed to believe I could understand them at that age and used to quiz me on the plot), and for while I'd read them yearly. Can't have read them in, 8 years or so now. They're not for everyone, I had a crack at picking them up again and couldn't bring myself to enjoy the slow pace another time, and they are painfully slow in parts. I can sympathise with anyone who doesn't get on with them.

The films, despite (probably wisely, on reflection) not following the books nature as less action more travel, do suffer from that decision imo. I bought the extended editions on Bluray this year, watched them all back to back one weekend, and the fact that they want to be (and largely are) just action flicks means that the slow bits with Frodo are really pretty dull. He's not a terribly interesting character and he's so limp and so little happens that each time they appear on screen from the second film on it just feels like they're a buffer for the next big fight with Aragorn and the like.

The books focus being on the journey more than what actually goes on on that journey makes that problem less apparent. When Aragorn and co are swashbuckling theres little said about it, it's not written heart racingly, whereas Frodo and Sam are more intrinsically tied to the story of a journey, so they aren't quite so dull as they are in the film.

Thats an issue the Hobbit doesn't have. They barely get going before they're tripping over cantankerous trolls, tricky spiders, goblins and dirty great talking wolves. And at the end they play a dangerous game with a cunning and evil dragon and end up in a war. They might go on a journey but it's effectively the party falling from one bit of action to another.

I expect it to be a decent fare but it looks a tad CGI heavy from the trailer alone. One of the best things about the LOTR films was the scenery.

Scenery? Hell, it looks like they've just about replaced everyone's skin with CG in this one.

Feel pretty much like you, thought the LOTR films have been cheesy, and dumbed down. Love Tolkiens work, especially The Silmarillion. I think that stories like Beren and Luthien, The children of Hurin and the Elves leaving Valinor after it was ravaged by Melkor and Ungoliant would make much better films than LOTR given the right writers and director.

Â