Your Christmas Traditions?

AVFCLaura

Get up some time between 8.00 and 9.00. Drink a couple of mugs of tea liberally laced with scotch. Breakfast may be either scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, or bacon and eggs.

Open presents.

Mid morning, have a beer and start getting dinner ready. Maybe watch It's a Wonderful Life or the Muppets Christmas Carol. Before dinner have a couple of sherries or scotch and sodas (or both).

Blow-out meal with red wine. Finish with port and stilton, and Xmas pudding with a dessert wine. And a brandy (would once have had a cigar, but not these days). In the evening watch either TV or a DVD, with turkey sandwiches and beer.

Pass out.

Oh, stop telling your kids that Santa exists, your setting them up for their first big fall.

That, quite simply, is bollocks Gareth.

It is sad IMO that you pass your own generational scroogeness down through the generations like that.

You/they have missed out on so much, but as you've never really experienced it, I guess you'll not know that, and neither will your kids. And their kids. And their kids.

it is such a wonderful fantasy that they have missed out on.

but back to your original point I Have to say that on the santa thing though i don't agree with you , children need imaginations and i see no harm in giving them a bit of excitement ... there really is no big fall when they find out he isn't real , the work it out for themselves anyway

Zackly.

I think it's denying them the wonder and excitment of something magical. Seems a touch cruel to do that IMO.

Oh, stop telling your kids that Santa exists, your setting them up for their first big fall. From day one we've never had any truck with that bollocks, our daughter as a consequence ruined a few of her friends fantasies rather earlier in life than their parents we expecting but what the ****, who was lying again?

Humbug! I have never been and never will be as excited as I was every Christmas morning and I am eternally thankful for my parents for that. I was about 10 when I found and wasn't too bothered because I still got presents. I'll bet a months wages you didn't have Santa growing up did you?

Would you have been completely the opposite if you had the same amount of presents but no Santa? I think not, its the presents that excite kids, not the chance some bloke from a coke advert might have knocked round in the middle of the night.

10? Really? That is amazing you lasted so long.

Other advantages of no Santa

1) you don't have to hide the presents, you can just stick them under the tree, they can be there for days or weeks if you like

2) the kids go to bed and actually bloody sleep on xmas eve not all hiding under the covers waiting for the bloke from the coke advert to turn up

3) kids also tend to understand if you've had a bad year and YOU can't afford to buy them as much as the previous year because they know its you who is paying for it

I think it's denying them the wonder and excitment of something magical. Seems a touch cruel to do that IMO.

You say "something magical" like it's a human right or something. What is cruel is making kids believe in something that doesn't exist only to get found out in the early hours of xmas morning that it isn't Santa Claus but that bloke with the beer belly that you call Dad 364 days of the year that creeps around the house in the middle of the night delivering the presents from the wardrobe in his bedroom. Kids being kids don't really tell you the next morning that they saw you, but a little bit of them dies inside because something they believed in, turns out to be wrong. Some kids even cry to themselves in bed when they find out. Which bit was cruel agin?

You say "something magical" like it's a human right or something. What is cruel is making kids believe in something that doesn't exist only to get found out in the early hours of xmas morning that it isn't Santa Claus but that bloke with the beer belly that you call Dad 364 days of the year that creeps around the house in the middle of the night delivering the presents from the wardrobe in his bedroom. Kids being kids don't really tell you the next morning that they saw you, but a little bit of them dies inside because something they believed in, turns out to be wrong. Some kids even cry to themselves in bed when they find out. Which bit was cruel agin?

If what you say is true, most of us would have had that experience. But I'll bet we didn't. Sure, there was eventually a moment of :suspect: but that was followed not by a :cry: or :angry: but more of a :oops: and a :crylaugh: More than compensated for by all the previous years of :hooray:

The excitement of waiting for Father Christmas, imagining I could hear sleigh bells, etc. is something I can still remember clearly, and wouldn't have swapped for anything. And neither would my kids in their turn.

God's never existed. So we didn't really need to tell her, it was obvious to her from an early age. And as far as her school, other people and their kids are concerned that was most definitely their problem not ours.

Wow, smart girl, took me 18 years to get to that stage and 40, 50, 60 years for some others.

just to get back on track, the only traditions that I follow:

1. Chinese on christmas eve

2. Roast Beef for christmas dinner (we didnt have much money as kids, as a consequence we ate turkey for most of the year, for christmas day my grandma would buy us a lovely joint of beef)

3. Beers with the boys on boxing day

Bicks I'd rather my kids believed in Santa than God, it's just that when you tell kids Santa doesn't exist they believe you.

Plus without the magic of Santa the films wouldn't exist especially Bad Santa which is epically good

Oh I just remembered one more Christmas tradition - on Boxing day when we visit my aunt, over dinner she usually asks if theres a lady in my life. Answer is usually no, so she then will quickly ask '...and you're not one of those. It's perfectly alright these days'.

Completely disagree with Bicks, obviously. I wish I could go back 10+ years, the excitement was awesome. Christmas was the best day of the year, the days leading upto Christmas was the best time of the year and that's because it's a fantasy, because of Santa coming. I guess if you've never experienced it, then you'll never quite know that feeling.

Like most kids I imagine, I found out the natural way, I got older like 10 I think I was, questioned it and parents told me the truth. I don't think I was disappointed, even at that age, I 'got it' the way Father Christmas is made up. Honestly, I feel sorry for the kids as they have missed out on something great and sorry but to me, it just seems quite selfish.

Anyway, no real traditions, this year ...I'm waking up, open up a few presents, then my Dad is picking me up, taking me to see my Grandad at his home for an hour, then back to my Moms, make dinner together and eat it of course, then nothing apart from that until we go to families on Boxing day, watch the football etc...

Oh and bollocks, I've got a game 11am boxing day :(

Â