Your Christmas Traditions?

AVFCLaura

Alright, I am still trying in vain to feel Christmassy so I thought I would ask you all to tell me your Christmas traditions and see if that makes me feel a little more festive.

Do you have a routine for the day?

Is it a family, friends or both affair?

Do you always have the same thing for Christmas dinner, or will you be mixing it up?

What is your Christmas tipple of choice?

Do you do something special that really 'makes' the day?

Or do you avoid Christmas completely?

Etc, etc.

Routine - get up already 8/9am due to brother and sister getting up, open presents, small breakfast, grandparents come over and we have the tradition christmas dinner.

Christmas eve is spent in the local with friends.

Boxing day - pub with dad, aunt and uncle visit in the evening for a buffet dinner.

Drink - whatever i can get my hands on in the pub :P

All change this year due to my daughters first Christmas- everyone wants a visit.

When I was little though, me and my sisters would wait in one of our bedrooms till 8 o'clock, then run in and open our stockings on parents bed, then we'd go downstairs for our big presents. Then bacon sarnies.

Dinner, then we'd open our presents under the tree (we used to save them, lol). Then we'd have a cold buffet for tea and watch the Xmas tele! Magical days.... Can't wait to create memories for my baby!

can't wait for this year, although its my boys second Christmas it feels like his first, he's 16 months and starting to understand and get excited by it all.

up at about 8, open prezzies, family round about 11, bucks fizz, more pressure then dinner

a bit of advice for you newbees:

don't label all your presents from Santa

A few years back we were told by our little angel there had prezzies off nan, grandad, uncle this aunty that and father Chrimbo. The only people that hadn't chipped in were mum and dad!

I offered to show my credit card bill, but that didn't seem to impress.

A few years back we were told by our little angel there had prezzies off nan, grandad, uncle this aunty that and father Chrimbo. The only people that hadn't chipped in were mum and dad!

Our daughter is 5 and this is exactly what she said to us. Apparently we were the only buggers that hadn't bought her anything and we should get her something from the 2 of us :?

Christmas eve - lye in, play skyrim, watch national lampoons xmas vacation and muppets xmas carol, then going round my nans for tea and drinks with dads side of family.

Christmas Day - Presents, lunch, playing with/looking at presents, napping, pottering about while eating too much food and drinking the odd tipple, then bed.

Boxing day - meeting dad for a drink in pub then family get together from moms side of family.

pub crawl on christmas eve, start at 12 take it easy though, usually in bed by 9/10 but last year i watched NFL

get up at 6, presents, bacon, play with toys, go visiting, dinner (im cooking this year, 1st time ever) grans for the night

i cant feel christmassy until ive watched national lampoons and the muppets

Used to have a massive drinking session with friends every Christmas Eve. This has now been put back to the 23rd due to too many ruined Christmas days. Eat Ferrero Rocher Christmas Day (has to be the milk chocolate ones). Boxing Day get ripped off by taxi drivers.

your Christmas traditions

buggering off to a foreign country ,only year i've been home in donkeys years was the millenium year as I was in IT and obviously had to milk it for all it was worth

I'm a bit meh towards Christmas , celebrate it now I've got the little un's but no way could i sit at home doing xmas dinner and what not (my friends said they spent 3 hours in Asda the other day stocking up with food WTF the shops will only be closed for 24 hrs !!)

Christmas with a difference this year and Vegas beckons on Friday .. really looking forward to it

Not really into the traditional christmas dinner, but we have a big gathering, so it's a sort of big feast but not the classic dinner. We go for lots of dishes rather than large helpings of fewer dishes. It's a long, slow meal, everyone sat round the table talking, kids coming and going as they choose between eating and playing.

Never have the same thing to eat, and only once included turkey, but just breast done with cumin and coriander instead of the straight roast. Usually a variety of things to suit all tastes, as it's 15-20 people. Doing lots of things also makes it easier to manage - did roast goose once, and trying to roast two geese in a domestic oven wasn't easy. Especially with roast potatoes for 20.

Don't know what I'm making this year, better decide quick. We always have some dishes we've never tried before. Probably a couple of appetisers, then a selection of middle eastern salads for starters, with some different meats in the main course. Have had a request for patatas bravas, and the rest is still to be decided. Previous christmas meals have included things like duck with pomegranate sauce, chicken in garlic and tahini, quails stuffed with couscous (too fiddly), baked ham. Usually 3 or 4 puddings, like lemon mascarpone trifle, cinnamon ice cream, baked quince in orange sauce, pears in red wine. No christmas pudding. No mince pies. Some good cheese.

Don't tend to drink anything until I've got the food out, after which I'm off duty, so wine and later probably whatever whisky anyone has had as a present. Clearing up is for everyone else, since I've done the food.

Something special - often a play which the kids perform with some adult assistance, 15 minutes or so of something partly prepared and partly improvised with a lot of noise and laughs.

And somewhere along the way, try to have a separate celebration for the son who managed to choose that day as his birthday.

It's usually a bit raucous.

Having two children aged 13 and 5 me and my wife absolutely love Christmas. If it wasn't for them though I'm not sure we'd be too fussed.

As for routine we get up at around 8am spend the next two hours or so opening presents etc. Then off to the cemetery mid morning to my dads grave which in all fairness puts a bit of a downer on things for a while as, like with all special days ( birthdays, anniversaries etc ) specific memories come flooding back and I really miss him even though its over 9 years since he passed away.

Then its either cooking or off round my moms and she cooks for us. Usually have dinner around 3pm then plenty of beer, constantly stuffing face with food and playing with the kids new toys etc. Usually have close family - mom, brother, in laws round Christmas Day and/or Boxing Day.

Think Christmas is a fantastic time to spend with your family and is as special as your willing to make it I guess.

This is the first year I won't be having the conventional christmas. Living in a secular/muslim country there is no concept of Christmas cheer and build-up. (Although in Turkey they have all the santa, tinsel, lights etc...but for new years eve).

This year I'll be trying to feel christmassy by cooking lunch for my fiancee and some friends. I'm looking for a completely gopping Christmas jumper to wear also. After lunch I'll be drinking heavily before we all pile into a taxi and head to the pub.

So I guess this year is the time to start my own family Christmas traditions. Getting married in January and maybe in the next few years will have a child. Plus it doesn't look like I'm leaving Turkey anytime soon.

Our daughter is 5 and this is exactly what she said to us. Apparently we were the only buggers that hadn't bought her anything and we should get her something from the 2 of us :?

My parents used to tell us they had a special deal with Santa or something like that, so do that!

As for me, I just got back to the UK last night so I'll be doing the usual family business. We normally open all our stuff first before having our meal, then play some family games and whatnot. Also, apparently going to watch Villa v Arsenal is a bit of a tradition as I've been informed I'm going to the game tonight, and have watched them around Christmas a couple of times before.

I put a bow tie on my Beagle all Christmas day. (Stars and strips that I connect to his collar).

I have done it for the last 5 years and have no idea why I do it but he seems to like it and looks cool on the photos.

(He does get spoilt (And gets to steal food all day so its the least he can do :-)) and the little kids think it's well funny when we go for a walk)

Laura I had this problem so decided Christmas wasnt just for the kids :lol:

My routine to get in xmas spirit consists of

The German Market, busy but throw in a meal and some mulled wine and its a good one.

Going to see the Nutcracker ballet at the Hippodrome as being set on Christmas eve it never fails to put you in that mood

The electric cinema in Birmingham city centre is the oldest cinema in the UK, it shows modern movies and arty films but also shows oldies like North by North west. At Christmas they show "Its a wonderful Life" I have booked one of the Leather sofas at the back for me and the other half where you can order your beers by text. Its indipendant so there is a bar, the tea comes in mugs and the cakes are homemade.

I always go to carols by candleight at Aston Parish Church on Xmas eve, its early eve so go out after though may do Lichfield Cathedral this year.

Â