• N'Zogbia
    • Albrighton
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Delfouneso
    • Heskey
    • Bannan (for Heskey 56)
    • Weimann (for Delph 80)

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm still not getting on McLeish's back.... yet.

My opinion of Today's game:

Given, Bent, Herd & Gabby have been our better players this season, they were all out. Jenas also played pretty well in the 3 short appearances he made for us, he too is out. That's 5 players unavailable that McLeish would probably prefer to be in his first team.

I don't think many people would have put out a team much different to the one we saw Today, with the options we had available.

Maybe some people would prefer to not see Heskey start? But with Bent & Gabby out, surely it's the sensible option to put at least one experienced forward on the pitch? Delfouneso finally got a chance to show his worth, Wiemann tried hard when he came on.

Maybe some people would have played Cuellar at right back? But I don't think Hutton was too bad. He made one bad mistake, but other than that he was okay defensively and showed how much he wants to attack with quite a few forward runs.

Maybe some people would like to bring Clark in for Collins? But that's something we've wanted for ages and we don't get to see the players on the training field. Perhaps Collins and Dunne is our best defensive pairing, despite Collins' occasional gung-ho attitude.

The only change I would have preferred, would have been for Bannan to get more time on the pitch.

The 2 goals we let in were down to our inability to defend set pieces. We had a lot of the possession (maybe because Liverpool were happy to sit back after they got the goals), but still, the only other attacks that Liverpool had were when they caught us on the break.

We passed it around, we got players forward, N'Zogbia played pretty well (which is a positive!), we had a decent amount of shots, but we just didn't have a creative player in the middle to thread a ball through to a striker, (or a better striker upfront to make good runs into a good positions).

I don't think we played with 10 men behind the ball, like loads of people say.

I'm getting a bit tired of the constant negativity.

I agree with people that we're played poorly. I agree that some of our games have been way, way too defensive. But also, it appears to Me that a lot of people are unable to forget their preconceptions of how McLeish will play, and instead should just be looking at the players available and the players that are not putting in the performances.

A guy behind Me kept shouting 'F*ck off Hutton!' & 'F*ck off Warnock' every time they made one mistake. Hutton has been below-average this season, but Today he wasn't bad. He made one big mistake when he lost the ball and luckily Suarez hit the crossbar. Warnock has been, suprisingly, one of our more consistent performers this season. I've let go of all the rumours of last season and I've given him another chance. His tackling hasn't been as bad this year and he's not been picking up yellow cards like he did last year.

Yes we lost, but we had a lot of the ball and we were trying to attack, even if the players couldn't pull off the final pass or actually score one of our chances.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with how we're playing, at all. But I can't see Lerner sacking McLeish any time soon, so I'm not getting on the team's or manager's back. I believe McLeish will be here for a while.

The only thing I am really annoyed about (apart from our losses!) is the fact that I thought that McLeish would be tightening us up defensively. If we wanted a manager who couldn't defend, we could go for someone like Holloway or Brendan Rogers (I saw 'someone like', because Holloway will never come here, after what he said about Villa) who would let goals in but also have a bit of attacking flair going forward.

I'm not really sure of what your saying.

you say we played poorly then you say you are tired of the negativity.Is it just a case of youe are tired of listeneing to the truth....what do you want them to say?

The facts are our play is shocking the passing is benevolent, the physical side is lilly livered- christ we don't get even get close to the opposition as for shirt pulling whilst i don't condone it ..do our players know what it is... Our ball control is woeful and basically the overall play in most games is well below the standard you would expect from an Aston Villa Side.

Thers is clearly something seriously wrong with the set-up....to exclude the Manager from all this is extremely difficult as all the things he alludes to after a game are clearly on display the next game.

If you change nothing you will get the same result.

Collins & Dunne are clearly out of sorts in terms of set pieces and Hutton & Warnock are woeful.

.... are we saying we have no one to challenge them? or are we hell bent on repeating the same results?

It's about time we stopped blaming Mcleish - name one manager that would come in and do well with this team. Lerner has turned it into this, our squad is very average.

Not a Mcleish fan....but the average cost of a liverpool player on the pitch today must have been around £12m - approaching half the villa squad are home grown freebies - a couple of the others are over the hill and in the twighlight of there careers .....

I wan't Mcleish out - but with the resources available today - I couldn't really see who could do much better.

cullear,Reo Coker,Davies,Beye,Sidwell, Warnock,Hutton,Harewood,Routledge,N'Zogbia,Knight.... for c 60 odd million....i can think of a few managers who would have a better return on that.

maybe Randy is just getting his breath back from a bunch of players he has spent a heap of doe on that struggle to feel comfortable with a ball

or fail to impose themselves on the game to any effect.

PS without even thinking it makes Hernandez @ c 6 mill and Ronanldo @c 12 mill makes us look pretty naive.

All this **** bollox has been inflicted on the club by our earlier Failures and wanky wages and the 5 year plan.

now your getting warm to the truth.

not saying the 2 managers since have pulled up any trees, but poor wasteful signings have got us where we are. All he managers are to blame.

It's about time we stopped blaming Mcleish - name one manager that would come in and do well with this team. Lerner has turned it into this, our squad is very average.

Lerner has never managed the team, surely our defensive hangover from MON's over indulgence on ageing defenders on long contract. Defending set pieces has been a problem for the past 3-4 seasons.

spot on .... we have gone for a ball of chalk since Laursen finished and Mellberg was asked to play full back

Load of bollocks. Laursen played his last game for us in Jan 09. In the 18 league games remaining that season and the 38 league games in the following season we conceded 64 goals in 56 games. That is a very good defensive record. In the 09/10 season we had the 4th best defence in the league and aside from a freak result at Chelsea where we conceded 7 we conceded just 32 goals in the other 37 league games which is excellent. That defence was in the main Cuellar Dunne Collins Warnock.

I don't know how many of the above would have been from set pieces but I can't remember it being an issue then and our overall excellent defensive record would suggest it wasn't.

statisically you might be right, because I ain't got the interest to check... but when you go to a wembley final and your centre half fails to control a ball on the half way line to keep you in the game you call that good defending.

Since Laursen Left we have been weaker in defence thats my opinion, we made up by getting more players behind the ball, which effected the goal scoring.

The Chelsea game wasn't a one off we soon went to Newcastle a few weeks after Mon Left and got stuffed again.

We also had a poor record for hanging on to a lead, so where your stats lead us to I don't know.

I suggest you stop looking at stats and watch the game.

Ps Don't listen to Match of the Day either, they are all his mates.

PPS This all started with O'Neill and it has gradually got worse.

cullear,Reo Coker,Davies,Beye,Sidwell, Warnock,Hutton,Harewood,Routledge,N'Zogbia,Knight.... for c 60 odd million....i can think of a few managers who would have a better return on that.

IMO:-

Cuellar - good player under used in favour of Collins by all 3 recent managers. Don't know why? Dunney's choice?

NRC- good player, did what it said on the tin, we are a poorer side for letting him go for nothing.

Davies - Started poorly went very good then back to poor. Injuries really affected him.

Beye - Rubbish buy, waste of money (2.5M + Wages)

Sidwell - Rubbish buy, waste of money (5m + wages) Never wanted to be here.

Warnock - Expensive replacement for shorey (who was a bigger mistake IMO) Crap but he is playing.

Hutton - complete rubbish player and replacement for far superior player. AMC player shouldn't be on this list.

Harewood - Did a job as super-sub for half a season and was loved by fans at the time.

Routledge - Cheap option and cover for wingers didn't work out, moved on.

CNZ - Too early to tell but is improving with each game. AMC signing doesn't need to be on this list.

Knight - Good servant for relatively small fee. Don't think he was a failure.

All managers make a few bad signings, Beye is a bad one, Sidwell was for a few games useful but overal was bad and Ireland was signed by the board so it seems. To blame a man who was effectively sacked 5 days before the season opener is ridiculous. To blame a manager who tries to protect a 2 nil deficit is fair IMO!

I didn't even watch, let alone go to the game; I went to the Black Country museum for a 'Santa Hunt' guided tour. My ratings are thus:

Tour guide - 7 Started well, but lagged in the final 3rd.

Coach driver - 7 Played his part well, buts a mark knocked off for saying the word 'sod' in front of a load of little kids.

Coal Mine proprieter - 8 Made some great jokes about 'nutty slack'.

School Teacher - 6 Not disciplined enough.

Woman in house - 6 Getting too old for this game

Woman in cake shop 7 mmmmm cake.

Blacksmith - 10 showed us how to make a reindeer shoe. Some skillful touches.

Woman in street - 7 Nice tits, but didn't do much.

Man in National Elf Centre - 8 Really funny guy. Very entertaining.

Father Christmas - 7 He was big and fat but the beard was clearly not real. Good with the kids though

Chips - 11 MOTM. Fried in beef dripping. Outstanding.

In conclusion, I'm glad I didn't watch the football, this was much better. Would recommend to anyone with youngish kids.

that game was abyssmal.

I have never seen a team pass to the opposition so much in my life. The shape and formation totally broke down in the second half and I have no idea what the players were doing and neither did they.

McLeish got the game tactically wrong from the 1st whistle.

Embarrasing performance

I didn't even watch, let alone go to the game; I went to the Black Country museum for a 'Santa Hunt' guided tour. My ratings are thus:

Tour guide - 7 Started well, but lagged in the final 3rd.

Coach driver - 7 Played his part well, buts a mark knocked off for saying the word 'sod' in front of a load of little kids.

Coal Mine proprieter - 8 Made some great jokes about 'nutty slack'.

School Teacher - 6 Not disciplined enough.

Woman in house - 6 Getting too old for this game

Woman in cake shop 7 mmmmm cake.

Blacksmith - 10 showed us how to make a reindeer shoe. Some skillful touches.

Woman in street - 7 Nice tits, but didn't do much.

Man in National Elf Centre - 8 Really funny guy. Very entertaining.

Father Christmas - 7 He was big and fat but the beard was clearly not real. Good with the kids though

Chips - 11 MOTM. Fried in beef dripping. Outstanding.

In conclusion, I'm glad I didn't watch the football, this was much better. Would recommend to anyone with youngish kids.

nutty slack jokes are bound to be a winner

Guzan - 6 Did pretty well really a few good saves

Hutton - 4 Lost his man for one goal and offers the team little in any capacity.

Dunne - 6 A few good interceptions and vital tackles, but we let 2 in from corners

Collins - 5 Played the ball simply out of defence a few times, which was good, but we let 2 in from corners

Warnock - 6 Looks like a proper full back (may just be in comparison to Hutton), although his passing was a bit wayward again.

Albrighton - 5

Actually sod this, it is not the individual performances that are the issue it is how we don't play as a unit. What really summed this game up for me was:

With 15 minutes to go we have a free kick on our left about half way between the penalty area and the half way line. We are 0-2 down at home and chasing (for want of a better word) the game. We have 2 players stood over the ball ready to take the free kick, they look up and see......

3 Villa shirts in the box one of which is worn by Bannan (so technically 2 and a half players in the box).

At our own offensive free kick we had 8 men including the keeper behing the ball. At 0-2 down at home. Against a Liverpool team that frankly was not that great. Liverpool had 8 men in the box including the keeper making these 3 Villa boys. So what do we do?

We lump it hopefully into the box and an easy defensive header is won, the "danger" passes. It was not like we took it quickly, there was plenty of time to get players forward and pile on the pressure, we just didn't. I look for two people here to make a difference. The manager and the Captain. For me it is the manager that has developed the feeling of apathy in the players, we lack direction, motivation and seem to have no plan on or off the ball. That he was not on the touchline waving players forward should be stunning to me, but I have been effected by his apathy so I don't expect any better from him.

Sadly Petrov was just stood watching this develop too. This has me in two minds as I gave him man of the match, as he did seem to try hard and the little quality that there was on the ball came in a large part from him. But a Captains performance it was not as at that moment he needed to take charge on the pitch and get his men forward.

We need a leader, we need motivation. This team is not as bad as it is playing, almost every single player out there is playing beneath the standards that we know they can play. I think it was Richard who first said on here that we as a team are less than the sum of our parts. That is absolutely what I saw on Sunday.

This never say win attitude arrived with Mcleish, please God that it goes with him and the sooner the better.

Lerner has never managed the team, surely our defensive hangover from MON's over indulgence on ageing defenders on long contract. Defending set pieces has been a problem for the past 3-4 seasons.

spot on .... we have gone for a ball of chalk since Laursen finished and Mellberg was asked to play full back

Load of bollocks. Laursen played his last game for us in Jan 09. In the 18 league games remaining that season and the 38 league games in the following season we conceded 64 goals in 56 games. That is a very good defensive record. In the 09/10 season we had the 4th best defence in the league and aside from a freak result at Chelsea where we conceded 7 we conceded just 32 goals in the other 37 league games which is excellent. That defence was in the main Cuellar Dunne Collins Warnock.

I don't know how many of the above would have been from set pieces but I can't remember it being an issue then and our overall excellent defensive record would suggest it wasn't.

statisically you might be right, because I ain't got the interest to check... but when you go to a wembley final and your centre half fails to control a ball on the half way line to keep you in the game you call that good defending.

Since Laursen Left we have been weaker in defence thats my opinion, we made up by getting more players behind the ball, which effected the goal scoring.

The Chelsea game wasn't a one off we soon went to Newcastle a few weeks after Mon Left and got stuffed again.

We also had a poor record for hanging on to a lead, so where your stats lead us to I don't know.

I have a missed a handful of games home and away in the last two seasons pal. And a handful of home games in the last 24 years.

The Chelsea game in the context of that season was very clearly a one off. As for us having a tendency to concede late goals at that time can you provide evidence of this and was it any worse than any other team?

I honestly don't know what you are waffling on about in terms of listening to match of the day and them all being his mates. I presume you mean O'Neills mates?

You need to get over O'Neill. Constantly blaming a guy who left 18 months ago for our failings now is going to get us nowhere. In fact that is exactly where it is taking us. You can blame him until you are blue in the face but the fact remains the guy who gave us our best season in many a year and 3 top 6 finishes on the spin for the first time since the 1930's has long gone.

Since he left we have seen many players come and go. Brought in the best part of 70 mill selling players he signed and spent the best part of 50 mill.

Whether you liked O'Neill or thought he was a complete tosser is irrelevant now. The people who now control our fate are the ones that matter and they have been making a right **** up of things for the last 18 months.

Voted Albrighton motm yesterday, thought he tried the most.

Nzog looked good first half as did Fonz.

Hutton had his best game for us, doesnt say much.

Weimann should have started.

Worried Bent may be on his way in jan.

Absolutey dire stuff, not much to say except the atmosphere in the Upper Holte was surprisingly good given the dross on the pitch so once again the fans deserve motm. Get Mcleish out of our club please he is killing us.

Roll on wednesday night...

you say we played poorly then you say you are tired of the negativity.Is it just a case of youe are tired of listeneing to the truth....what do you want them to say?

The facts are our play is shocking the passing is benevolent, the physical side is lilly livered- christ we don't get even get close to the opposition as for shirt pulling whilst i don't condone it ..do our players know what it is... Our ball control is woeful and basically the overall play in most games is well below the standard you would expect from an Aston Villa Side.

Thers is clearly something seriously wrong with the set-up....to exclude the Manager from all this is extremely difficult as all the things he alludes to after a game are clearly on display the next game.

Collins & Dunne are clearly out of sorts in terms of set pieces and Hutton & Warnock are woeful.

.... are we saying we have no one to challenge them? or are we hell bent on repeating the same results?

No, what he's saying is that the complaints have gotten to the point where they're completely off base. Look in this thread where everyone's saying "same old negative McLeish," while he set the team out to attack (even during the last 20 minutes, Hutton was practically playing as a midfielder). Now, the ability of that team to maintain possession and create chances is in part down to the players for not being able to move for each other, but also to McLeish for not better preparing them to pass the ball on the deck this preseason.

McLeish had a few bad habits to get rid of from his days at the circus. He didn't have 16 months out of the game to "watch Barca." But, he should have seen that there's some passing quality in the side (the sale of Jonathan Hogg and loan of Makoun seem incredibly short-sighted now that we've seen a handful of injuries, suspensions and general lack of form (read: Fabian Delph)) and adjusted during pre-season, not three months into the season.

Collins and Dunne have been out of sorts on set pieces for a while, and to the point that 2009's defensive record was better, including set pieces, remember that most of that season saw us playing with a center back (Cuellar) at right back. It's worrying that our first choice center half pairing needs a third CB to even approach competency. Let's also remember that the midfield at that time included James Milner, who defined "box-to-box" midfielder for us that season. We have one midfielder who approaches his energy and industry in the center of the park (Herd), and he's only just getting a run of games for the first time (and he's being asked to play more of a protectorate role, to allow Warnock and Hutton to support the attack).

I do think it took McLeish a bit long to "figure out" what he had, but I think if he can finally drop the hammer on extricating Dunne and Collins (I had faith in Dunne, which was squandered on Skrtel's goal, where Dunne not only waltzed behind Skrtel as he made his run, but didn't seem to communicate it to Hutton at all, which is his chief job in a Zonal Marking system. Sure, Hutton's reaction time was poor, but the lad doesn't have eyes in the back of his head) we might actually go on a little run and see some of our ball retention issues cleared up.

IMO:-

Cuellar - good player under used in favour of Collins by all 3 recent managers. Don't know why? Dunney's choice?

NRC- good player, did what it said on the tin, we are a poorer side for letting him go for nothing.

Davies - Started poorly went very good then back to poor. Injuries really affected him.

Beye - Rubbish buy, waste of money (2.5M + Wages)

Sidwell - Rubbish buy, waste of money (5m + wages) Never wanted to be here.

Warnock - Expensive replacement for shorey (who was a bigger mistake IMO) Crap but he is playing.

Hutton - complete rubbish player and replacement for far superior player. AMC player shouldn't be on this list.

Harewood - Did a job as super-sub for half a season and was loved by fans at the time.

Routledge - Cheap option and cover for wingers didn't work out, moved on.

CNZ - Too early to tell but is improving with each game. AMC signing doesn't need to be on this list.

Knight - Good servant for relatively small fee. Don't think he was a failure.

All managers make a few bad signings, Beye is a bad one, Sidwell was for a few games useful but overal was bad and Ireland was signed by the board so it seems. To blame a man who was effectively sacked 5 days before the season opener is ridiculous. To blame a manager who tries to protect a 2 nil deficit is fair IMO!

My list was aimed at the poor value of the return....not necessarily the manager that bought him... but hey ho if the cap fits

No, what he's saying is that the complaints have gotten to the point where they're completely off base. Look in this thread where everyone's saying "same old negative McLeish," while he set the team out to attack (even during the last 20 minutes, Hutton was practically playing as a midfielder). Now, the ability of that team to maintain possession and create chances is in part down to the players for not being able to move for each other, but also to McLeish for not better preparing them to pass the ball on the deck this preseason.

McLeish had a few bad habits to get rid of from his days at the circus. He didn't have 16 months out of the game to "watch Barca." But, he should have seen that there's some passing quality in the side (the sale of Jonathan Hogg and loan of Makoun seem incredibly short-sighted now that we've seen a handful of injuries, suspensions and general lack of form (read: Fabian Delph)) and adjusted during pre-season, not three months into the season.

Collins and Dunne have been out of sorts on set pieces for a while, and to the point that 2009's defensive record was better, including set pieces, remember that most of that season saw us playing with a center back (Cuellar) at right back. It's worrying that our first choice center half pairing needs a third CB to even approach competency. Let's also remember that the midfield at that time included James Milner, who defined "box-to-box" midfielder for us that season. We have one midfielder who approaches his energy and industry in the center of the park (Herd), and he's only just getting a run of games for the first time (and he's being asked to play more of a protectorate role, to allow Warnock and Hutton to support the attack).

I do think it took McLeish a bit long to "figure out" what he had, but I think if he can finally drop the hammer on extricating Dunne and Collins (I had faith in Dunne, which was squandered on Skrtel's goal, where Dunne not only waltzed behind Skrtel as he made his run, but didn't seem to communicate it to Hutton at all, which is his chief job in a Zonal Marking system. Sure, Hutton's reaction time was poor, but the lad doesn't have eyes in the back of his head) we might actually go on a little run and see some of our ball retention issues cleared up.

I had second thoughts about Dunne when he fell over the ball in a wembley final....hey players make mistakes i know, but he is just too ponderous and the queen mary would turn quicker.

I have a missed a handful of games home and away in the last two seasons pal. And a handful of home games in the last 24 years.

The Chelsea game in the context of that season was very clearly a one off. As for us having a tendency to concede late goals at that time can you provide evidence of this and was it any worse than any other team?

I honestly don't know what you are waffling on about in terms of listening to match of the day and them all being his mates. I presume you mean O'Neills mates?

You need to get over O'Neill. Constantly blaming a guy who left 18 months ago for our failings now is going to get us nowhere. In fact that is exactly where it is taking us. You can blame him until you are blue in the face but the fact remains the guy who gave us our best season in many a year and 3 top 6 finishes on the spin for the first time since the 1930's has long gone.

Since he left we have seen many players come and go. Brought in the best part of 70 mill selling players he signed and spent the best part of 50 mill.

Whether you liked O'Neill or thought he was a complete tosser is irrelevant now. The people who now control our fate are the ones that matter and they have been making a right **** up of things for the last 18 months.

Mark, your right it is irrelevant, even though he walked out with a few days before a season after 4 years in the job.

As you may gather, I have no real time for him and I'm sorry to tell you, that no, I'm not a fan of his....I was, but not after what I saw of him.

For me the 6-6-6 was not what it was cracked up to be and in most of those seasons if i remember correctly we tailed off to towards the end.... it wasn't like a photo finish.Our home record was modest too.

We had a Wembley final where we not only couldn't hang on to a lead, we couldn't hang on to the ball, but then that was another feature of his tenure.

yes,yes,yes we have got worse I will grant you.

We had a Wembley final where we not only couldn't hang on to a lead, we couldn't hang on to the ball, but then that was another feature of his tenure.

Its going over old ground and it is irrelevant but lets not forget we were playing one of the best teams in Europe. A team that had the ref had a pair of balls should have been a goal down and down to ten men for 80mins.

It could also be argued it was a feature of O'Neills tenure that we would more often than not give the best teams a game. Getting results home and away regularly against Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. He also had a fantastic record in the derby games something that like a lot of things has gone down the shit pan since he left.

O'Neill made plenty of **** ups but it was certainly way, way better then than it has been since he left and that looks like being the case for the foreseeable future.

It could be argued that what has happened since has made O'Neills tenure look better than it was and I'd certainly agree with that. There however comes a time when you say his time has long gone we dust ourselves down and come again and I'd suggest its something that should have been done some time ago. Instead the club has gone from one **** up to another from poor managerial appointments to selling our best players and signing replacements of nowhere near the same quality.

Oh and I think you'll find that O'Neill didn't walk. He was sacked.

Its going over old ground and it is irrelevant but lets not forget we were playing one of the best teams in Europe. A team that had the ref had a pair of balls should have been a goal down and down to ten men for 80mins.

It could also be argued it was a feature of O'Neills tenure that we would more often than not give the best teams a game. Getting results home and away regularly against Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. He also had a fantastic record in the derby games something that like a lot of things has gone down the shit pan since he left.

O'Neill made plenty of **** ups but it was certainly way, way better then than it has been since he left and that looks like being the case for the foreseeable future.

It could be argued that what has happened since has made O'Neills tenure look better than it was and I'd certainly agree with that. There however comes a time when you say his time has long gone we dust ourselves down and come again and I'd suggest its something that should have been done some time ago. Instead the club has gone from one **** up to another from poor managerial appointments to selling our best players and signing replacements of nowhere near the same quality.

Oh and I think you'll find that O'Neill didn't walk. He was sacked.

and while i agree with a lot of what you say.....our home record was not that good under his tenure...He was like the curates egg good in parts.It will be the same for the foreseeable future unless them that matter make some decisions that are positively effective for the club.

Â