Quickest and cheapest way to travel in London

olboydave

Hi all, wondered if anyone can help me out. My girlfriend is going to be doing a 10 week work placement in London in the new year. She is going to be travelling from "Peckham Rye" to "Manor Park Rail station" (or around this area), on Monday to Fridays for ten weeks.

What is the cheapest way for her to travel? Would it be to just get an Oyster card and keep topping it up or would a monthly travelcard be better? Obviously, she will also need to get around at weekends but this will probably all be in Zones 1-3.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Oyster is the way forward but there's a couple of ways of doing it. If it's just one on and off each way, a pay as you go oyster will probably be cheaper. If it's multiple changes each way, a monthly travelcard oyster will be cheaper and will allow for unlimited trips. Obviously, that'll only work for the first 8 weeks or so and she might need to get a pay-as-you-go for the last couple of weeks.

You basically pay a monthly for whichever zones you want.

When I was traveling in to London for work, I used one train (zone 4 to 1) and then a bus (within zone 1) each way. Monthly travelcard on an oyster worked out a tonne cheaper and I had the bonus that anything over and above my normal commute cost me no more.

I think the quickest route is bus it to Liverpool Street and then train (not tube) to Manor Park. What do you reckon? And what does the monthly Oyster give you? Thanks again.

I reckon you're right. 78 to Liverpool street and then the train.

Alternatively during peak times when traffic in London is, well, traffic in London, you could get a train to London Bridge then the Jubilee line (grey) to Stratford and then train to Manor Park. It sounds fairly complicated to a newbie but I regularly make two/three changes on a journey just to avoid the traffic.

Without question you want a monthly travel card. I'm not sure whether Manor Park is in zone 3 or 4. You might need to check. I *think* it's in both, so you might get away with a zone 1-3 which is.... wait for it.... about £130 a month. If you travel on pay as you go you'll be paying nearly £200 at a guess.

Should be ok then. Traffic is none existent up until about 7.15, after that its gridlock until 8 at night, Liverpool street to peckham rye would be the pits, even at mid day. Id get bus\train in then underground\train out. Honestly.

How come she's in Peckham? Need a chaperone? ;-)

The oracle that is the TFL journey planner suggests either 78 bus to Liv St, then overland to manor house; or

Overland to London Bridge, Jubilee line to Stratford, and then overland to Manor Park.

Personally I'd avoid the bus, as the traffic is so bad, but it really does depend at what time she's traveling.

A zone 1-3 monthly travel card will be £131, a 1-3 single using oyster card is either 3.10 or 2.60 (depending on if its Peak or Off-peak). So it depends on what time she's travelling, and how much she'll be travelling at weekends to make a judgement about whether is cheeper to PAYG or a monthly travel card.

Chiltern Line into Marylebone

Book ahead and you'll get a return for £10

Always helps if you read the original post first :winkold:

By way of solidarity I read the title wrong too. But I managed to read the posts first because I wasn't so helpful :)

The oracle that is the TFL journey planner suggests either 78 bus to Liv St, then overland to manor house; or

Overland to London Bridge, Jubilee line to Stratford, and then overland to Manor Park.

Personally I'd avoid the bus, as the traffic is so bad, but it really does depend at what time she's traveling.

A zone 1-3 monthly travel card will be £131, a 1-3 single using oyster card is either 3.10 or 2.60 (depending on if its Peak or Off-peak). So it depends on what time she's travelling, and how much she'll be travelling at weekends to make a judgement about whether is cheeper to PAYG or a monthly travel card.

So, um, what I said ;-)

If she's making 2-3 changes twice a day, you will be looking at £40 a week minimum no matter where you go in London. Trust me, I've already tested all this gumpf for you ;-)

Â