The new leader of the Labour Party

Richard

I hope to Christ the people aren't stupid enough to let him into No 10. Even Clegg would be preferable.

**** me the British public were stupid enough to let Cameron, and his right wing nutjobs, in through the side door chaperoned by the lib dems.

Ed is nailed on to walk in through the front door. Despite him not being popular Labour are still decently ahead in the polls. He is clearly becoming a more polished leader and this will only improve and be enough to see Labour win in 2015.

Mark - you see you are falling into the Right Wing "trap" as such there.

Just a few things to set things straight, firstly the UK public did not vote Cameron in as such, as we know no leader is voted as PM. Secondly even with the Aschcroft tax avoidance billions Cameron failed to gain a majority and had to rely on a leader so intent on seeing his own party royally screwed (Clegg) to gain entrance into number 10. Reading back through the political threads from the past few days it seems that the Right wing VT posters are very much intent on repeating the personality style of politics rather than anything based on policy. They are fulfilling all of the normal traits of the right wing in the style, content and tone of the comments. If VT allowed it I wonder how many would actually post something attacking Milliband for being Jewish? 

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't put it correctly, sorry. 

The meter man is there just to check everything is ok and check the figure, sort of like a stocktake if you like. The billing is done automatically. So if you send a couple of readings in they will adjust it. Well they did for me. The onus is really on the user to alter the figure

When they read the meter and you've used more than they guestimated, you get a bill quick sharp - as my Old Boy discovered a couple of years ago.

It's not a flat pitch.

• Like 1

I honestly cannot imagine that man as PM.  Watching his performance at the conference was embarrassing, he's the least statesmanlike leader of a party I can remember, not even a patch on Neil Kinnock which is saying something.

I know what you mean. It's kind of wierd, though, how we've become conditioned to expect "leaders" to conform to a particular vision of what they should be - shiny faced, be-suited, confident, posh, but not too posh, like slightly more charismatic newsreaders, adopting the necessary tone of voice at the appropriate time...

Look back pre - Blair, and it was different. John Major, The Evil Witch, Callaghan, Heath, Wilson - none of these were media polished, at least not at the start of their times.

The only recent one was Brown, but he wasn't elected as pm.

Basically the parties now all want a computer simulation of a person, a hologram.

It's a shame that milliband, who is more "qualified" to do the job than Cameron was, or Blair, when they took over as their party leaders (neither had been a minister) and who is probably more thought through, in his ideas etc. (like them or not) than either, is just written off because he talks and looks "a bit weird, like". Doesn't matter if he's any good at it. He acts a bit geeky, so he can't be king.

He looks a bit weird alright, and sounds even weirder, but of course the important thing is his suitability for the job, and that's the scariest thing of all.  I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that he's got any good, well thought ideas at all, and I think he'd be a disaster for the country.  Just been having lunch with the Director General of the Institute of Directors (ooh, get me) and in his opinion, big business is absolutely terrified at the prospect of a Milliband-led Labour government.

I honestly cannot imagine that man as PM.  Watching his performance at the conference was embarrassing, he's the least statesmanlike leader of a party I can remember, not even a patch on Neil Kinnock which is saying something.

I know what you mean. It's kind of wierd, though, how we've become conditioned to expect "leaders" to conform to a particular vision of what they should be - shiny faced, be-suited, confident, posh, but not too posh, like slightly more charismatic newsreaders, adopting the necessary tone of voice at the appropriate time...

Look back pre - Blair, and it was different. John Major, The Evil Witch, Callaghan, Heath, Wilson - none of these were media polished, at least not at the start of their times.

The only recent one was Brown, but he wasn't elected as pm.

Basically the parties now all want a computer simulation of a person, a hologram.

It's a shame that milliband, who is more "qualified" to do the job than Cameron was, or Blair, when they took over as their party leaders (neither had been a minister) and who is probably more thought through, in his ideas etc. (like them or not) than either, is just written off because he talks and looks "a bit weird, like". Doesn't matter if he's any good at it. He acts a bit geeky, so he can't be king.

He looks a bit weird alright, and sounds even weirder, but of course the important thing is his suitability for the job, and that's the scariest thing of all.  I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that he's got any good, well thought ideas at all, and I think he'd be a disaster for the country.  Just been having lunch with the Director General of the Institute of Directors (ooh, get me) and in his opinion, big business is absolutely terrified at the prospect of a Milliband-led Labour government.

Mart - so a lot of what you have said there is based on how he looks and sounds? - really? 

As for this bloke you had an expenses paid lunch with  :P what is he basing his views on exactly? I have not seen any evidence of "big business" whatever that is being scared of "anything but Tory" which is basically what you are implying. What about things like Europe where there is clear publicly stated views from "big business" that EU policies, something that is supported by Labour in general and certainly NOT by the Tory party are key to success. Could it be that this "bloke" was a bit more scared about personal wealth for him and his "buds"? 

If you check the BBC today , they report energy share price fell 5% on the back of Red Eds latest comments, that suggests some big business maybe a bit worried about him

:D - Red Ed - I love it - the "dependency" on that phrase to somehow scare people is really now very laughable 

As for "big business" and share prices, again it's actually genuinely laugh out loud, re some of the rubbish that is now coming out.  

EDIT: Any chance of linking that BBC report you quote please? - can't seem to find it - cheers

I did find this though

Energy profits

The "big six" - British Gas, EDF, E.On, npower, Scottish Power, SSE - made total net profits of:

2009: £2.15bn

2010: £2.22bn

2011: £3.87bn

2012: £3.74bn

Edited by drat01

If you check the BBC today , they report energy share price fell 5% on the back of Red Eds latest comments, that suggests some big business maybe a bit worried about him

:D - Red Ed - I love it - the "dependency" on that phrase to somehow scare people is really now very laughable 

As for "big business" and share prices, again it's actually genuinely laugh out loud, re some of the rubbish that is now coming out.  

EDIT: Any chance of linking that BBC report you quote please? - can't seem to find it - cheers

I did find this though

Energy profits

The "big six" - British Gas, EDF, E.On, npower, Scottish Power, SSE - made total net profits of:

2009: £2.15bn

2010: £2.22bn

2011: £3.87bn

2012: £3.74bn

there you go http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24275114

it was the first one on the list when I googled it

ah OK - I just looked at today's BBC website and it's not on it's listed headlines etc, hence the question

So the story is not exactly as you have written is it? What is says is that 

Shares in the two big energy firms listed in London - Centrica and SSE - fell by more than 5% on Wednesday

so that was 2 of the energy firms not the industry etc - As Peter has said the effect, as with many shares, will be more to do with people trying to "play" the market as much as anything 

Well the old war crimal Biar's best buddy, Mr Mandy Manhandler has been speaking out about how bad the ideas of Mr Red Ed is, For me this could be the the most convincing endorsement I've heard so far to make me think Mr Ed may actually be a good thing afterall.

I love the bit in the Grauniad about Mandelson's concerns over his "legacy".

Mandelson fears his own carefully crafted legacy of "industrial activism" built up during his two years as business secretary is under threat, and that Miliband's party conference speech in which he made the energy price pledge was driven by politics as much as economics.

He said: "At the business department I tried to move on from the conventional choice in industrial policy between state control and laissez-faire. The industrial activism I developed showed that intervention in the economy – government doing some of the pump priming of important markets, sectors and technologies – was a sensible approach."

"Industrial activism"?  What a jumped-up little toerag he is.

His "legacy" is division, deceit, spin, leaks, machine politics, moneygrubbing, schmoozing with gangsters and corrupt "businessmen", toadying to the rich, shitting on the poor, crawling up Rupe's sweaty arsehole, and generally being a shameful betrayal of any values his family and party once stood for.  Ugh.

• Like 1

If VT allowed it I wonder how many would actually post something attacking Milliband for being Jewish? 

Precisely nobody whatsoever would be my guess.  In any case, even though he's from a Jewish family, he's not in the slightest bit religious is he? 

The DG of the IOD used to work for the Tory Gov't didn't he? Venture capitalist, that sort of thing. One of the chaps. No doubt bright, rich, entertaining, learned, well travelled and good company over a pleasant lunch. Citing him as a witness to some kind of impending Redmaggeddon for business is a trifle, er, incestuous?

His "legacy" is division, deceit, spin, leaks, machine politics, moneygrubbing, schmoozing with gangsters and corrupt "businessmen", toadying to the rich, shitting on the poor, crawling up Rupe's sweaty arsehole, and generally being a shameful betrayal of any values his family and party once stood for.  Ugh.

It can't have been all good though? he must've done some bad things, as well :)

ah OK - I just looked at today's BBC website and ...Shares in the two big energy firms listed in London - Centrica and SSE - fell by more than 5% on Wednesday

so that was 2 of the energy firms not the industry etc - As Peter has said the effect, as with many shares, will be more to do with people trying to "play" the market as much as anything 

Ah, well, you see, you know when they said "we're all in this together", and when they said that unfortunately public sector workers would have to have a pay freeze because of hard times n' all that?  Well, er, you see, um, the "all" isn't actually "all", there was some small print. You may have missed it.

The small print said that, er, um, some people, like shareholders in privatised utilities, directors of privatised utilities, executives in Privatised utilities, well they're not "in it" with us. No they're different. They need their bonuses, and their share dividends, and so if the price of bills was frozen for a bit, they'd have to forgo that bonus, that dividend, and that would be frightfully bad.

Note: Obviously when I say small print, I don't actually mean it was written down. It's just an understanding between a party and its friends and donors. No the print part refers to getting tame papers to slag off Labour and raise scare stories for daring to talk of lumping them in with those dreadful smelly poor people.

• Like 2

It can't have been all good though? he must've done some bad things, as well :)

Well he resigned twice, having been doing things people didn't take too kindly to.  That was a loss to the nation, right enough.

ah OK - I just looked at today's BBC website and ...Shares in the two big energy firms listed in London - Centrica and SSE - fell by more than 5% on Wednesday

Ah, well, you see, you know when they said "we're all in this together", and when they said that unfortunately public sector workers wouldn't have to worry about a pension.  because of hard times n' all that?  Well, er, you see, um, the "all" isn't actually "all", there was some small print. You may have missed it.

The small print said that, er, um, some people, like shareholders in privatised utilities, like private pension funds , well they're not "in it" with us. No they're different. screw them, and so if the price of bills was frozen for a bit, they'd have to forgo a bit of pension ,  and that wouldn't be too bad. 

Note: Obviously when I say small print, I don't actually mean it was written down. It's just an understanding between a party and its friends and donors. No the print part refers to getting tame papers to slag off Labour and raise scare stories for daring to talk of lumping them in with those dreadful smelly poor people.

Fixed that for you  :D

Ah, well, you see, you know when they said "we're all in this together", and when they said that unfortunately public sector workers wouldn't have to worry about a pension.  because of hard times n' all that?  Well, er, you see, um, the "all" isn't actually "all", there was some small print. You may have missed it.

The small print said that, er, um, some people, like shareholders in privatised utilities, like private pension funds , well they're not "in it" with us. No they're different. screw them, and so if the price of bills was frozen for a bit, they'd have to forgo a bit of pension ,  and that wouldn't be too bad. 

Fixed that for you  :D

So you can fix things, but Milliband isn't allowed to? :)

drat01, on 26 Sept 2013 - 2:00 PM, said:

You mean Pop_idol politics? - I am surprised that Tony "liked" your post Pete because let's be honest TonyH has been a great "fan" of that style on VT at least

did someone call ?

s-GORDON-BROWN-large300.jpg

Â