The new leader of the Labour Party

Richard

Seems it's not the lib dems Ed has his eye on a coalition with but UKIP

"So we are going to say to any firm that wants to bring in a foreign worker that they also have to train up someone who is a local worker, training up the next generation.

A suppose its more subtle than Browns racist slogan of "British jobs for British workers " though :)

I wouldn't call it racist! If it was "British jobs for British white workers" then yes!

can't say I am too enamoured with labour anymore. They are so far removed from what they used to be. Too many career politicians from public school who have never been and lived in the real world. The Tory's are more interested in stiffening sentances for benefit fraud than they are for serious violent crime. Guess out of the two party's I would rather put my trust in Labour.

Seems it's not the lib dems Ed has his eye on a coalition with but UKIP

"So we are going to say to any firm that wants to bring in a foreign worker that they also have to train up someone who is a local worker, training up the next generation.

A suppose its more subtle than Browns racist slogan of "British jobs for British workers " though :)

I wouldn't call it racist! If it was "British jobs for British white workers" then yes!

can't say I am too enamoured with labour anymore. They are so far removed from what they used to be. Too many career politicians from public school who have never been and lived in the real world. The Tory's are more interested in stiffening sentances for benefit fraud than they are for serious violent crime. Guess out of the two party's I would rather put my trust in Labour.

I thought few of them went to Public school, mainly Private school? Miiliband went to Haverstock Comp, where it seems fellow alumni included Marlon Harewood, Joe Cole & Steve McFadden went :D

Ed's really upset the energy companies, and the City with it - Just a few weeks after derailing the military intervention in Syria.

Not convinced about his motives (I'm here! I'm here! Please like me!), but he's pissing on chips that need to be pissed on.

Well Ed, you've got the spotlight now. We're waiting for you to choke when the money and press increase the heat.

I honestly cannot imagine that man as PM.  Watching his performance at the conference was embarrassing, he's the least statesmanlike leader of a party I can remember, not even a patch on Neil Kinnock which is saying something.

• Like 2

Well said, Dave. It really shows up where the press and others stand, as well, in their reaction to the energy company thing.

The press - express, Heil, Torygraph etc. make out like it's the onset of the USSR.

The Tories similarly.

I'm not staggered they've acted like that, but it's staggering the level of distortion put on things like this.

The energy market is basically a rigged cartel between 6 big companies, where profits are guaranteed and excessive, investment in new infrastucture and generation is limited and over subsidiesed by our taxes.

You don't hear them moaning about the price they will get paid for generating energy being guaranteed for 30 odd years, do you?

You don't hear them saying that their own fixed rates for customers are terrible, as they can't cope if the price fluctuates.

So what is basically a sane idea is treated like it's some kind of contaminant, by the media and tories, while most normal folk go "yeah, sounds alright", or "don't much like that idea" - but just treat it as a kind of normal political/economic discussion, not the onset of communism in the UK.

• Like 3

Xann, on 26 Sept 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Ed's really upset the energy companies, and the City with it - Just a few weeks after derailing the military intervention in Syria.

Not convinced about his motives (I'm here! I'm here! Please like me!), but he's pissing on chips that need to be pissed on.

Well Ed, you've got the spotlight now. We're waiting for you to choke when the money and press increase the heat.

it was on the screen when I was down the gym so I didn't have any volume but the slide BBC news showed broke down a £100 energy bill

EDF / whoever ..make £4 profit on that £100

it's hardly evidence of ripping people off on initial viewing .... 

I suspect  Ed thought what populist movement can I jump on next , I've done Murdoch , I've done tax avoidance  .. and then overheard people talking down the pub and a light bulb appeared over his head , all be it one that had no power due to black outs caused by Ed's plan :) 

I honestly cannot imagine that man as PM.  Watching his performance at the conference was embarrassing, he's the least statesmanlike leader of a party I can remember, not even a patch on Neil Kinnock which is saying something.

I know what you mean. It's kind of wierd, though, how we've become conditioned to expect "leaders" to conform to a particular vision of what they should be - shiny faced, be-suited, confident, posh, but not too posh, like slightly more charismatic newsreaders, adopting the necessary tone of voice at the appropriate time...

Look back pre - Blair, and it was different. John Major, The Evil Witch, Callaghan, Heath, Wilson - none of these were media polished, at least not at the start of their times.

The only recent one was Brown, but he wasn't elected as pm.

Basically the parties now all want a computer simulation of a person, a hologram.

It's a shame that milliband, who is more "qualified" to do the job than Cameron was, or Blair, when they took over as their party leaders (neither had been a minister) and who is probably more thought through, in his ideas etc. (like them or not) than either, is just written off because he talks and looks "a bit weird, like". Doesn't matter if he's any good at it. He acts a bit geeky, so he can't be king.

• Like 2

Xann, on 26 Sept 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

it was on the screen when I was down the gym so I didn't have any volume but the slide BBC news showed broke down a £100 energy bill

I suspect  Ed thought what populist movement can I jump on next , I've done Murdoch , I've done tax avoidance  .. and then overheard people talking down the pub and a light bulb appeared over his head , all be it one that had no power due to black outs caused by Ed's plan :)

That appears about the right ball park according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24238708  its  just under 5%, about the same as vat. The biggest saving would be to drop the green tax at 11%

According to that report  we are amongst the lowest in Europe

EDF owed me a four figure sum when I switched away from them, good accounting practice huh?

When Ed was Energy Minister he says we must have more wind turbines requiring subsidy.

When Ed was Energy Minister providers through cost the necessary subsidies to consumers adding 10%+ to household bills.

In opposition Ed says energy bills are too high and energy companies must freeze prices....

In opposition Ed says the energy sector must be de-carbonised by 2030.....

Anyone else notice the pattern of his idiocy?

I hope to Christ the people aren't stupid enough to let him into No 10. Even Clegg would be preferable.

I hope to Christ the people aren't stupid enough to let him into No 10. Even Clegg would be preferable.

**** me the British public were stupid enough to let Cameron, and his right wing nutjobs, in through the side door chaperoned by the lib dems.

Ed is nailed on to walk in through the front door. Despite him not being popular Labour are still decently ahead in the polls. He is clearly becoming a more polished leader and this will only improve and be enough to see Labour win in 2015.

Edited by markavfc40

Xann, on 26 Sept 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 26 Sept 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

EDF owed me a four figure sum when I switched away from them, good accounting practice huh?

If they had your money for all that time  , then the answer is Yes from EDF's point of view :)

That BBC article on energy prices says "By far the biggest chunk of your bill goes on the cost of buying gas and electricity on the wholesale market, or directly from an electricity generator or gas supplier."

The thing is the Big 6 are also generators of energy. And the energy they generate, they sell to themselves at a profit, and claim it's all cost. It's rigged.

• Like 1

**** me the British public were stupid enough to let Cameron, and his right wing nutjobs, in through the side door chaperoned by the lib dems.

Ed is nailed on to walk in through the front door. Despite him not being popular Labour are still decently ahead in the polls. He is clearly becoming a more polished leader and this will only improve and be enough to see Labour win in 2015.

The gurniad on Friday had them neck and neck

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/20/labour-party-conference-future-past-editorial

all you have to do is send some meter readings and they will adjust it

The meter reader guy had been around at least twice during the period of overcharging. The last time just a couple of months before the switch.

Strangely EDF hadn't see fit to mention the problem. Maybe they thought the money was safer in their accounts than ours?

If they had your money for all that time  , then the answer is Yes from EDF's point of view :)

Quite ;)

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't put it correctly, sorry. 

The meter man is there just to check everything is ok and check the figure, sort of like a stocktake if you like. The billing is done automatically. So if you send a couple of readings in they will adjust it. Well they did for me. The onus is really on the user to alter the figure

The gurniad on Friday had them neck and neck

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/20/labour-party-conference-future-past-editorial

If the economy continues to improve then it's not going to be quite the shoe-in for Miliband that the left wing "nut jobs" have been crowing about for the last 12 months. That said if it goes south again then Cameron and Co are definitely toast in 2015.

Be interesting to see where they all stand in the polls after the Tory conference.

I know what you mean. It's kind of wierd, though, how we've become conditioned to expect "leaders" to conform to a particular vision of what they should be - shiny faced, be-suited, confident, posh, but not too posh, like slightly more charismatic newsreaders, adopting the necessary tone of voice at the appropriate time...

Look back pre - Blair, and it was different. John Major, The Evil Witch, Callaghan, Heath, Wilson - none of these were media polished, at least not at the start of their times.

The only recent one was Brown, but he wasn't elected as pm.

Basically the parties now all want a computer simulation of a person, a hologram.

It's a shame that milliband, who is more "qualified" to do the job than Cameron was, or Blair, when they took over as their party leaders (neither had been a minister) and who is probably more thought through, in his ideas etc. (like them or not) than either, is just written off because he talks and looks "a bit weird, like". Doesn't matter if he's any good at it. He acts a bit geeky, so he can't be king.

You mean Pop_idol politics? - I am surprised that Tony "liked" your post Pete because let's be honest TonyH has been a great "fan" of that style on VT at least

Â