Movies of the Year 2011

Designer1

I thought Limtless was very good, something new and different.

You know what, I genuinely enjoyed that film. It got panned by some well known critics (a.k.a Kermode) and it wasn't without some eye bulging faults (drinking his **** blood?!) but the core concept was really interesting and well played out. Messy, but worth a watch.

Apart from the dreadful Harry Potter with the wife , I've mainly seen films with the kids this year so for me it would have to be

actually seeing some of the films mentioned here I'd forgotten I've seen dozens of films whilst flying long haul , most of them easily forgotten (Thor , source code ,battlefield LA etc) but one clear stand out film was

The Fighter

which was a 2011 release in the Uk so within the rules :-)

I'll give a mention to True Grit as well ..never seen the original so I can't compare but i thought it was a pretty decent film

Well, I count them as films from 2011 so here's my list:

Kings speech

X-men first class

Harry Potter- Deathly hollows pt 2

Black Swan

Tintin

I can almost never remember when the films are released so my list might be a little different if I'd checked that out first. For example, at first I almost put Inglorious Basterds on this years list. :oops:

I thought Limtless was very good, something new and different.

You know what, I genuinely enjoyed that film. It got panned by some well known critics (a.k.a Kermode) and it wasn't without some eye bulging faults (drinking his **** blood?!) but the core concept was really interesting and well played out. Messy, but worth a watch.

The smartest thing about Neil Burger's Limitless (2011, Momentum, 15), a sci-fi-inflected thriller adapted from Alan Glynn's novel The Dark Fields, is the way it plays to Bradley Cooper's creepy charms. He is perfectly cast as the loser who develops superhuman mental skills after being slipped an experimental pill, thereby achieving overnight success in a world where sharp thinking and soft morals are the key to the express elevator.

Adopted by Robert De Niro's ruthless businessman, Cooper's antihero achieves great riches, but at what cost? It's fairly flimsy fare, but blessed with a palatable undercurrent of paranoia and executed with a slick flair that perfectly suits the narrative. De Niro may share top billing, but his appearances are fundamentally fleeting, with Cooper carrying the movie high on his beefcakey shoulders, his trademark slappable grin teetering enticingly on the brink of madness.

Panned? Really?

Fair one. Perhaps I just imagined it being panned because it seems like the type of film that would be panned by a pretentious arsehole critic like Kermode. I like his and Mayo's show by the way, doesn't make him any less of a pretentious arsehole!

My point is almost proven by the fact it get's a 7.3 on IMDB and a 59/100 on metacritic. Not that I seem to care as much as yourself :winkold:

Â