The Sleeping Giant

limpid

I think the cure is as simple as bringing in a football man to act as DoF.

Any examples of this actually working in a PL setting? Many have tried it, some have ongoing experiments but none can claim to have succeeded yet

Agreed....I suppose I mean that there is a role to be played within the club that was formerly performed by Steve Stride. A well versed Villa man who really seemed to be the glue of the operation for a long time.

If he was there when MON was punch drunk on cash, we probably wouldn't still be saddled with flotsam and jetsam.

So someone who can work as a intermediary between Lerner and the manager, the club and agents, etc...I don't believe for a minute that PF is astute at any of that.

• 3 weeks later...
I did not enjoy the football during the long months after Joe Mercer was appointed, prior to relegation ...

Well Mr. fripono, you could not have known anything through personal experience about 1959 - you've been found out ...

I'm 37 so go back about 30 years as a fan.

Now what do you have to say? :winkold:

Sorry for the delay in replying, I havn't read this thread recently.

As the above is blatantly untrue, not to mention very damaging to the credibility of my other (infrequent) postings, I insist that you identify the location of the bogus quote.

How can it be untrue? This is the result of a search using your username (fripono) and requesting posts:

Topic: Your favourite Villa player of all time and why.

fripono

Forum: Villa Talk Posted: Jul 02, 2011 - 12:24 AM Subject: Your favourite Villa player of all time and why.

I'm 37 so go back about 30 years as a fan. Sid Cowans stands just ahead of Paul McGrath for me. A model pro who could put the ball on a penny piece from 80 yards, had unbelievable vision,and was not o ...

I think you'd have to go through the thread to find your post. But it's clearly there according to the search.

John, no it isn't. The search finds Fripono quoting Mark using those words, not them being his own words - here

I'm 37 so go back about 30 years as a fan. Sid Cowans stands just ahead of Paul McGrath for me. A model pro who could put the ball on a penny piece from 80 yards, had unbelievable vision,and was not only the best Villa player I've seen but one of the best players I've seen full stop. A legend.

And the best slide tackler I've ever seen or ever will see.

Of all Stan Lynn's qualities, his slide tackle was my favourite, beautifully menacing with an audible crunch.

Gerry Hitchens though is my alltime choice for his bucaneering style and for his scoring five in one match against Charlton.

After he retired he was once convicted of a poaching offence, whigh seemed appropriate for such a prolific goalpoacher.

. You're wrong.

:) Bicks, I can't really apologise for a failing on the software to report more fully on the search.

You didn't send me on a training course to find that out!! :-)

However, if the guys feelings are hurt then of course I apologise.

:) Bicks, I can't really apologise for a failing on the software to report more fully on the search.

It's not my feelings that have been hurt, it's the fripono reputation, previously held very highly for the spot on posts, all 13 of them. (I think I was the very first to applaud the wisdom of signing McLeish)

Apology with damages, I suggest £10 contribution direct to VillaTalk.

Bicks, I am a person with over 40 years experience in advanced software development.

I was an expert in my time in I.T.

I know how I would design software and I rather expected the software VT uses to be more helpful than it has turned out to be. The mistake is mine in the sense that I assumed too much of the software as an expert in software design and development.

:-)

It's not my feelings that have been hurt, it's the fripono reputation, previously held very highly for the spot on posts, all 13 of them. (I think I was the very first to applaud the wisdom of signing McLeish)

Please see my comments above.

As a software expert I feel that that the fault was only partly mine. I am, however, happy to apologise for any hurt or harm you feel has been done to you as a result of my assumption of what the software was telling me, but must leave it at that.

I should add that I could have asked various people to 'cough up' as you are doing (not just on this forum) but am not inclined to do so.

I wish you well. :-)

I should add that I could have asked various people to 'cough up' as you are doing (not just on this forum) but am not inclined to do so.

I wish you well. :-)

Sorry,that was said tongue in cheek, I'll have to use the darned emoticons :)

Bicks, I am a person with over 40 years experience in advanced software development.

I was an expert in my time in I.T.

I know how I would design software and I rather expected the software VT uses to be more helpful than it has turned out to be. The mistake is mine in the sense that I assumed too much of the software as an expert in software design and development.

:-)

I'm not an expert in software, or IT. But I managed (in about 30 seconds) to find the quote and link using the search function, which worked perfectly. What's that they say about a bad workman always blames his tools?

Forgive me, that's not the point. Pete.

I found the text in the response to the search. I did not think it ncessary to then have to go to the link. If the search response had shown that the text was from someone else's quote then the mistake would not have been made.

As I keep on saying, it was my error that caused me to trust that the software was telling me first time around the facts of the matter - as a software designer that's how I would have designed it. You can say I was blinded by my own professional pride if you like.

I still say the software should have been more helpful - but equally I should also know that software can't always be trusted.

By the way, Pete, you are not in a position to infer that"I am a bad workman".

There's also something somewhere that refers to people who always make judgments about others.

What's going on here, Pete? Do you have some personal gripe against me that you want to perpetuate an issue that has been done and dusted? If so, speak up - tell me what the matter is old son! ;-)

John, the issue is that you wrongly accused someone of something, it was pointed out to you that you were wrong, and rather than graciously apologising you claimed expertise in IT and blamed the search facility, claiming it's inadequate. Which is frankly complete rot and totally ungracious. Your unwillingness to accept responsibility for your own error irks me and goes against the ethos of the site.

The search facility works absolutely fine, as does clicking on someone's name and then "find all posts by". You messed up and your posts seem unable to simply accept this.

You are wrong, Peter:

(1) the returns from the search facility did not show that the text was written by someone other than the name I was searching under;

(2) I did not 100% blame the software - I have pretty well equally apportioned blame to myself for taking it on face value. I made a mistake in accepting what I was given and that was it.

(3) I did apologise to the person for as much as I could apologise for.

End of story. I am not discussing this anymore. It is going way over the top.

There is nothing else to accept.

You are wrong, Peter:

(1) the returns from the search facility did not show that the text was written by someone other than the name I was searching under;

So as a historian, you'd use google as a search tool and quote from the google search return page and not use the link to the original article to discover context... Bad workman would appear to be most apt of terms.

Â