Midweek football 5/7 December

andykeenan

You're right they didnt, deserve to be out but there is no way Id rather watch benfica vs Bayern Munich on a Tuesday night over United vs Bayern as an example. I always usually support English clubs in CL up until final. (hope barca win) the just interest me more than teams I know little about. I love football, English teams interest me. Theres also absolutely nothing wrong with people who hope they go out.

A lot of people love it and prefer watching other teams do well but Its not me, I just love the big hype surrounding a game, build up, speak to mates about game, good English atmosphere with the best players in the world playing against each other. Also shows with who I want to win the comp, Barca ....most I imagine would say it's boring but I want to see them play as many times as possible. I love great players, great teams and huge games. I'm not arsed about Benfica vs Apoel nicolai or whatever the **** they are called.

I'm not arsed about Benfica vs Apoel nicolai or whatever the **** they are called.

A Cypriot team acheives the near-impossible and actually makes it into the knock-out phases of the European Champion's League and you'd rather watch the same thing we've been served up year after year after year? **** that. It's a remarkable feat, and the capacity of a rank outsider to acheive anything in the CL is pretty much the only thing that's gonna hold my interest in it anymore and return some of the magic to the competition. Between the acheivements of APOEL and Basel, this year's tournament is finally something other than a vehicle to kill off domestic competition around the continent.

I'm not arsed about Benfica vs Apoel nicolai or whatever the **** they are called.

A Cypriot team acheives the near-impossible and actually makes it into the knock-out phases of the European Champion's League and you'd rather watch the same thing we've been served up year after year after year? **** that. It's a remarkable feat, and the capacity of a rank outsider to acheive anything in the CL is pretty much the only thing that's gonna hold my interest in it anymore and return some of the magic to the competition. Between the acheivements of APOEL and Basel, this year's tournament is finally something other than a vehicle to kill off domestic competition around the continent.

Amen to that!

i dont mind apoel, they were 1 of 4 champions in their group and got through against the odds

personally i dont want to watch the english clubs, sky already shows enough of them, ive really enjoyed watching napoli and hopefully that will continue, zenit vs shaktar is still the best game ive seen this year, that for me is what the CL is all about, when i was a kid it was the ajax mid 90s team, there was no other way of seeing of them

Then you are part of the problem. For too long now there have been a smaller and smaller number of clubs getting a larger and larger percentage of the support. You not giving a **** about Benfica vs APOEL is your right, but the attitude is no different to the people in Asia who couldnt give a **** about Aston Villa vs Everton or Newcastle United vs Sunderland. Only caring about the clubs who win every week puts them in a stronger position every time the new TV deals come around and the way money is distributed gets looked at again. It is why Barcelona and Real Madrid get 80% of the revenue in Spain and it is why they will push for an actual European Super League before anybody else does because once they have bankrupted their own league they will need some other suckers to exploit. Barca have already called for 16 team top divisions so Champions League fixtures can be played at the weekend, and it is the narrow mindedness of the public which have allowed Barcelona to be in a position to be able to do that.

There was a time when I thought that English sides going out of the Champions League was bad for English football. Now that 75% of the Premier League have no chance whatsoever of qualifying for the big cup even before the season starts then why should I shed a tear? United are getting bit on the arse by the monster they helped create. City can afford to be philosophical about it this year as it was their first attempt, they got a difficult group and winning the title for the first time in 45 years will be a huge deal for them if they manage to pull it off, but Manchester crashing out of Europe isnt bad for English football, its bad for a handful of clubs who already have it too good.

Yes basically. As said nothing against your view, a lot of people on here dislike the competition and meaning with a passion. I actually enjoy it, i like seeing the worlds best compete, every single season, it's only once a year. It's hardly every week or month. Some of my favourite games in recent years have been games like Barcelona vs Arsenal.

I'd happily sit through that twice a year for the next however many years. I'm witnessing great football at the highest possible level, if I can't enjoy that then I might as well not bother. Others like the magic of the game more so, in some ways I do...we all love a minnow but when it comes down to it, there is nothing better than watching the game I love and appreciate being played to it's very best. I wanted a City vs Barca final if I'm honest, or two legs, I think it had the potential to be an absolute classic.

Then you are part of the problem. For too long now there have been a smaller and smaller number of clubs getting a larger and larger percentage of the support. You not giving a **** about Benfica vs APOEL is your right, but the attitude is no different to the people in Asia who couldnt give a **** about Aston Villa vs Everton or Newcastle United vs Sunderland. Only caring about the clubs who win every week puts them in a stronger position every time the new TV deals come around and the way money is distributed gets looked at again. It is why Barcelona and Real Madrid get 80% of the revenue in Spain and it is why they will push for an actual European Super League before anybody else does because once they have bankrupted their own league they will need some other suckers to exploit. Barca have already called for 16 team top divisions so Champions League fixtures can be played at the weekend, and it is the narrow mindedness of the public which have allowed Barcelona to be in a position to be able to do that.

There was a time when I thought that English sides going out of the Champions League was bad for English football. Now that 75% of the Premier League have no chance whatsoever of qualifying for the big cup even before the season starts then why should I shed a tear? United are getting bit on the arse by the monster they helped create. City can afford to be philosophical about it this year as it was their first attempt, they got a difficult group and winning the title for the first time in 45 years will be a huge deal for them if they manage to pull it off, but Manchester crashing out of Europe isnt bad for English football, its bad for a handful of clubs who already have it too good.

100% spot on . I love seeing English clubs crash and burn in the Champions league . They are representing their clubs, not the country and they are just making it harder for villa to compete the longer they stay in the competition. This competition has destroyed league football IMO .

I don't really disagree but I can't deny the 'feelings' I have. if I see the likes of Silva, Aguero, Nasri, Kompany, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Fabregas etc...line up on the same field of play, I'm going to sit down and watch it. For me, it's unmissable stuff. If it's on TV, I will watch it.

The part about Asian people not giving a **** about Villa /Everton/Sunderland etc...I don't mind, I don't expect them too. Isn't that just how anything works? People want to see the best. I'd be baffled by anyone who'd watch us and the likes of Heskey tripping over the ball every game and say 'that's the team for me' when there is no other connection at all.

I couldn't stop watching Barca, not while my footballing idols and ultimate idol plays for them.

It's not all English teams as well, I'm not really that bothered about Arsenal but they do have the potential to be involved in a classic like Arsenal vs Barca in recent years, footballing gold so for that aspect, I hoped they qualify.

Chelsea, not hugely bothered but do my best mate supports them so do have some interest.

Man City, see Arsenal. They are a great watch this season and I'd have loved to see them face off against the likes of Real/Barca this season.

United - Hoped they qualify, not as much through quality of football, like in terms of game, I'd rather watch Man City BUT I have so many friends that support United that the social aspect is good, I like speaking to some really good friends about the game, watching the game with them. Would say 10 of us go round to a mates to watch a semi final involving no English teams? No. So I like it from that point of view as well.

100% spot on . I love seeing English clubs crash and burn in the Champions league . They are representing their clubs, not the country and they are just making it harder for villa to compete the longer they stay in the competition. This competition has destroyed league football IMO .

100% agreed. I don't even bother to watch the CL generally, although I do admit to tuning in last night for a chuckle.

absoultely gareth 100% agree. for a team like apoel (as a greek i know) its an absolute miracle they ahve gone through and the finacial benefits will assist them.

teams likeunited going out is a good thing as the gap narrows. i am enjoying watching english teams struggle as it narrows the gap slightly. the whole model is stupid.

why do CL teams go down to europa? ive been saying for years about this and candleface although a prick speaks sense today by saying that.

if anything they should be smart and make the winner of europa get CL, taht would amke it more appealing for clubs and more competitive. in addition make it sraight knock outs like it use to be. forget all this group nonsense

Â