Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

hercs23

The sad thing is for once he's actually right.

I think he's quite wrong. Birmingham were much better at playing like Birmingham because they had the right sort of players to play that way:

- a back 4 made of rugged defensive types

- a midfield four/five - Bowyer, Larsen, Ferguson etc. - of gritty but effective players. Gardner was also this type.

- a strong and effective lump up front in Jerome and subsequently Zigic

Its that hard working type of side with little width or creativity that got them to 9th.

It all went wrong for McLeish when he tried to add a little flair - Bentley and Hleb - because he doesn't know how to manage this or set a team up with it. This is the big problem, IMO, he has had with us - we have some flair and ability in the front 6 and he doesn't know how to coach/use it.

Looking forward to this. My first ever league game away match (in the Villa Crowd).

I hope you have a great time.

Personally, I am a bit torn with this game. As a Villa fan I am desperate for a win BUT I do feel that would be used as a rationale to keep Eck and, in the long run, I think we have a much brighter future without him at the helm.

I don't understand this thinking. If he wins, whats to moan about? Isn't that the point, to win games?

Personally, I'd never sacrifice a Villa win for the slight glimmer of hope that the manager, 'who I didn't quite like', might lose his job and a better manager MIGHT replace him

One thing we know for sure about Lerner is he'll stick by his decisions and back his manager until the end, anyway. I suspect we'll see McLeish's inevitable early exit from this club coming a mile off and I suspect it's some way away yet. A loss or draw away at Bolton won't make a blind bit of difference in Lerners thinking IMO

3 points please Villa

If he wins and we lose the next 4 games would you be happy? Lerner might. If he lost all 5 games then that might be the tipping point that makes Lerner make a decision. If he were to get McLeish out and get us a half way decent manager like Hughes, then I think we would be in a much stronger position for the second half of the season and moving forward. 3 points sacrificed now for the chance of many more points later on! Could almost be a phrase from the mouth of Mr Spoc.

All ifs and buts but I just want McLeish out as he destroying all hope I ever had and all interest for me (and many others from the posts elsewhere) in the Villa.

Guzan, Herd, Dunne, Clark, Warnock, N'Zogbia, Bannan, Petrov, Albrighton, Bent, Agbonlahor

Remember when we actually played a 4-4-2 with 2 real wingers and 2 strikers? Those were the good old days. Now we have the 4-5----------1

I'm surprised how many people have gone for a draw. Bolton's confidence is so fragile that if they fall behind we could easily win 3-0 but at the same time if Bolton get ahead and get their tails up they'll prolly go on to win 3-0 like they have with their other wins.

what paul merson said is exactly true 'we will be looking to just have a shot' and lawro saying we look like birmingham last year. it really concerns me and todays game is massive for us we need to win.

some people have said i hope we lose so mcleish gets pressure on him but as much as i dont want mcleish lerner is never going to sack him yet.

Ive never been so depressed to be a villa fan at the moment but praying for a win

:flag::flag:

I'm surprised how many people have gone for a draw. Bolton's confidence is so fragile that if they fall behind we could easily win 3-0 but at the same time if Bolton get ahead and get their tails up they'll prolly go on to win 3-0 like they have with their other wins.

I'd be surprised if we manage 3 shots on goal let alone 3 goals.

Guzan

Herd Cuellar Dunne Warnock

Bannan Petrov Delph

--------Bent-Heskey-----Gabby.

If we're going to play sail on the mayonnaise sea football, might as well play our biggest presence up front?

That has to be the most lightweight central midfield ive ever seen. Average height 1.74 m and average weight 66kgs. Might aswell play three oompa loompas there!

Have we got any other midfielders? Our only sort of dominating one is out on loan.

I'm not confident at all today..... Regardless of what AMc says about us attacking I just see it happening, it's almost as if the players cannot transpose what he preaches onto the pitch.

I'm guessing the team will line up as follows

................Guzan

Hutton.Dunne.Collins.Warnock

.......Petrov.Ireland.Herd

N'Zogbia......................Gabby

...................Bent

Herd to close down and win the ball back, Petrov to use the ball and Ireland to support the front three?

Wonder what's more likely, 5 shots, or 5 short passes from James Collins.

Depends how you quantify 'shots'. Are we talking genuine thunderbolts from somewhere near the opposition penalty area driven directly at the goal with no possible chance of a goalkeeper ever reaching them? Or are we looking at any speculative or mishit thwack in the general direction of the opposing half.......in which case James Collins will probably qualify for both camps.

In Cleveland Browns parlance, surely our MVP then Randy?

1-0 Bolton. :(