Lerner - Yes / No / Unsure

Richard

Lerner - Yes, No or Unsure  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Lerner - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - Pro Lerner
    • No - Time for change
    • Unsure - Still need more time

My only issue with Lerner is his ability to appoint football staff. He has tried to think outside the box with his managerial appointments and it has gone spectacularly wrong both times.

Right now I really don't care that Lerner is not investing in the squad because what's the point when McLeish is persevering with the current dross on the pitch. If we spent big money on anyone other than a defender they would be completely marginalised anyway - look at Bent. He won't let anyone whose vaguely attacking play to their strengths. Look at N'Zogbia now too.

I wonder if Lerner has learned from how O'Neill's players have failed to gel with subsequent managers and is holding back on investing until he knows he has a manager that is going to be successful enough to be here for more than a year. I wouldn't give McLeish any money to spend right now.

If Randy Lerner is prepared to correct the huge mistake of appointing McLeish and demonstrate a far superior understanding of the Club, its supporters and football in general by identifying and securing the services of an appropriate replacement, then I am happy for him to remain.

If not, then I see no future under his stewardship. The fact is that since Martin O'Neill left, the amount of decision-making that he and Paul Faulkner were shielded from during their first years in charge has been brought into sharp focus by the utter ineptitude demonstrated by every key decision they have been responsible for. To outisde observers, it looks very much as though Lerner came in, had a good go at breaking into the Champions League and lost heart after a couple of respectable near-misses. Tottenham have shown that you don't necessarily need to match the spending power of Manchester City (or even Liverpool) to establish yourself as real contenders - but you do need fierce, unwavering ambition and the acumen to make the right appointments and decisions that ensure the right expertise is in place throughout the Club.

Manchester City have changed things, but their wealth has not dictated that everyone else must simply pack up and go home. Unfortunately, this appears to be exactly what Lerner has done though.

The fact is that since Martin O'Neill left, the amount of decision-making that he and Paul Faulkner were shielded from during their first years in charge has been brought into sharp focus by the utter ineptitude demonstrated by every key decision they have been responsible for.

Completely agree with this.

He should have paid the money and got in David Moyes. He didn;t want to spend the money needed so went for McLeish in the deluded view that he was similar to Moyes but cheaper.

He is now seeign his plan fail miserably and it will cost him even more money to get out of it.

I think if he could, he would sell tomorrow.

Its constructive dismissal; that the employer makes it intolerable for the employee. In this case it would be argued that certain promises made to MON were not kept and that if people in the know are to be believed the club had sounded out another manager after the Chelsea defeat.

Its constructive dismissal; that the employer makes it intolerable for the employee. In this case it would be argued that certain promises made to MON were not kept and that if people in the know are to be believed the club had sounded out another manager after the Chelsea defeat.

Who though? Moyes? Hughes? Houllier?

All this cloak and dagger bullshit within our club is slowly killing us.

From The Sun :-

O'Neill is back from the wilderness and not bitter at the acrimonious way his spell at Villa Park ended last August.

He hinted he was sacked by Randy Lerner but, with fellow American Short, he will at least be given the time to offload Brucie's deadwood before starting over again.

The former Celtic chief said: "It is interesting because, to my discredit, I once broke a contract. But I did not break a contract at Villa. I broke a contract at Norwich after just six months but not at Villa.

"That said, Villa have a great history and it was a privilege to manage there at the time — but this is a great opportunity now at Sunderland.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3982459/Martin-ONeill-checks-in-at-Sunderland.html

Unsure on Lerner. Last year with GH i thought i could see his vision for the club. Playing better football and utilising the youth more. That made sense.

This year, I really think he is just another idiot who doesn't understand the game at all. I really have no idea of the roles that RL and PF do on a day to day basis, but something just isnt right. Not sure which one it is, but the club is a shambles at the minute. Something has to give, whether it's Randy, PF, or AMC ... as we can't just carry on like this, as we will be relegated. If not this year, in the next few.

Â