Martin O'Neill

maqroll

No.

He spent a lot of money with us, squandered a lot, but he got a simple, effective (if limited) system working pretty well here. So many managers can't even manage that, even with backing. I think he is an above average manager, but not brilliant.

I would like to give a chance to an up-and-coming manager in future, names like Lambert, Poyet and Rodgers...

Without a doubt YES !!

Ok he spent a fortune but he built a great team that was inches away from glory

correction, we were a striker away from glory. we were calling for a darren bent for the entire time he was manager. we were set for the champions league and all we needed was a goal scorer to secure it. arsenal bought arshavin...MON bought heskey. nuff said.

Without a doubt YES !!

Ok he spent a fortune but he built a great team that was inches away from glory

correction, we were a striker away from glory. we were calling for a darren bent for the entire time he was manager. we were set for the champions league and all we needed was a goal scorer to secure it. arsenal bought arshavin...MON bought heskey. nuff said.

Well we didn't make any decent funds available that January.

Arshavin cost £15 million

Heskey cost £3 million

No, definitely not. Mediocre manager with some fatal flaws. He's lucky to get the Sunderland job in all honesty.

I think to have this opinion you have to over rate the impact a manger can have in the modern game. I think the clubs infastructure is by far the most important factor. As a Villa fan to not rate MON surely you have to think he didn't take the club as far as other managers could given the restrictions placed on them by the infastructure of the club. I'm sure you could list numerous things MON did badly, but the same could be said of Pep at Barca or Mourinho at Real. No manager is perfect but the set up of certain clubs allows for the manager to make many mistakes and still have success, whilst other jobs are less forgiving. Given the circumstances MON worked in when at Villa, I'd say 3 6th place finishes were pretty good. Had Mourinho taken over at the same time do you really think he'd have done any better?

Heskey is hardly the best option at £3m.

In hindsight no it wasn't .

At the time Carew was injured and the idea was he would be foil for Gabby.

It didn't work as we know.

But who else was around for that sort of money?

It was a mistake no doubt,

But reason Arsenal finished above us was they signed a quality player for £15 million as we didn't.

Then our team was dismantled after that bit by bit.

No, definitely not. Mediocre manager with some fatal flaws. He's lucky to get the Sunderland job in all honesty.

I think to have this opinion you have to over rate the impact a manger can have in the modern game. I think the clubs infastructure is by far the most important factor. As a Villa fan to not rate MON surely you have to think he didn't take the club as far as other managers could given the restrictions placed on them by the infastructure of the club. I'm sure you could list numerous things MON did badly, but the same could be said of Pep at Barca or Mourinho at Real. No manager is perfect but the set up of certain clubs allows for the manager to make many mistakes and still have success, whilst other jobs are less forgiving. Given the circumstances MON worked in when at Villa, I'd say 3 6th place finishes were pretty good. Had Mourinho taken over at the same time do you really think he'd have done any better?

Yes, I do think other managers could've taken us further.

The thing is though, Mourinho wouldn't have spunked so much money on medicore British players and I doubt he would've relied on such a small core of players either.

Â