Ashley Young's return to VP

hogso

I hope he gets a good reception. Always liked Ash, now Downing on the other hand...

Seems to be the feeling amongst most Villa fans. I just don't get it.

- Ash came here at a very young age when he was unproven and MON/Villa made him a star and our highest paid player. We got him into the England squad. He ran his contract down - only a year left - and we got a relatively small fee for him. Whilst he was great in his first few years (probably up until the late Everton game/maybe England recognition - I can't remember when that really came) he was poor in his last couple of seasons because, IMO, he lacked discipline and wanted to do everything. We made circa £7m from his sale.

- Downing was already established, having been Boro's best player (established in the Premier League prior to their relegation) for a number of years. He came here when he had opportunities to go to other clubs like Spurs and, once he was back to full fitness, he was excellent. Sure he moved on with two years left but he had seen the club lose two of his England colleagues and the manager that had bought him in. He had no affinity to Villa and he made us £10m. Sure he made his move to a "bigger" club but he was/is a year older than Ash and, therefore, had even less time to hang around in a club that, to be honest, was going backwards.

I liked them both when they were Villans but I just don't see that there is that much difference between the two.

I wouldn't go out of my way to cheer Ash particularly - he played well for us but he was well paid for that - but I certainly wouldn't boo/abuse him either. His move to Man U shows that he saw us as just a job - and that's fair enough.

Co-commentator at around 80 minutes had it right:

"Well, you can boo him, but you can't blame him."

That about sums it up. Although I'd flip it around - you can't blame him, but you certainly can ***kin boo him. Especially when his attitude makes him as irritating to watch as he was tonight.

Co-commentator at around 80 minutes had it right:

"Well, you can boo him, but you can't blame him."

That about sums it up. Although I'd flip it around - you can't blame him, but you certainly can ***kin boo him. Especially when his attitude makes him as irritating to watch as he was tonight.

I'll let you into a secret. He always was a clearing in the woods, but he was our clearing in the woods, so it didn't matter.

I'll let you into a secret. He always was a clearing in the woods, but he was our clearing in the woods, so it didn't matter.

This.

Such a gobshite tonight though and getting in Albrighton's face etc.

Rolling about, diving, talking shit, celebrating their goal like it was the winner in the Champions League final. Little clearing in the woods deserved to be booed after all that.

Maybe just maybe that had something to do with the clowns that were booing every time he got the ball

Rolling about, diving, talking shit, celebrating their goal like it was the winner in the Champions League final. Little clearing in the woods deserved to be booed after all that.

Maybe just maybe that had something to do with the clowns that were booing every time he got the ball

I was about to post exactly that! :thumb:

Â