Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

Sorry people, but there has been far too much talk about weddings in the last few pages of this thread and not nearly enough about clunge. I haven't even seen anyone say DHUTWU for a good while.

What the hell is the matter with you all today?

Indeed.

Rule of thumb - if she won't let you DHUTWU then wedding is off

I thought that was the whole reason for getting married in the first place?

The exchanging of brown wings?

Personally, I can't get my head around the following 'traditions':

1) Forking out £20 - £80 per guest on food: It's your day of celebration, and you're buying food for other people.

2) Paying for Bridesmaids dresses: If you want to be involved, go and buy your own, or rent one.

3) Basically paying any amount of money towards other people on YOUR wedding day. Just no.

I like this concept.

Each to their own though for me, if you wanna and you can afford it then cool, some like doing it. Just don't do it for tradition sake and don't go broke doing it.

The part of the wedding i found expensive for what it was, were flowers, cake and photography.

Those 3 alone set us back around £1500!!!

Not to be biased but the photography is possibly the most important investment we could make on a wedding. It's the one thing that will last longer than even the rings possibly will and the memories are priceless as we get older. Very very unappreciated at times.

Dont get me wrong, i look back at them now and consider them priceless, just at the point of putting my debit card in the machine i thought "these pictures better be printed on gold leaf!".

I realise now how hard the photographer works and i didnt realise how many they actually take. He didnt miss a trick, the amount of superb pictures he took without us knowing was brilliant.

The part of the wedding i found expensive for what it was, were flowers, cake and photography.

Not to be biased but the photography is possibly the most important investment we could make on a wedding. It's the one thing that will last longer than even the rings possibly will and the memories are priceless as we get older. Very very unappreciated at times.

Dont get me wrong, i look back at them now and consider them priceless, just at the point of putting my debit card in the machine i thought "these pictures better be printed on gold leaf!".

I realise now how hard the photographer works and i didnt realise how many they actually take. He didnt miss a trick, the amount of superb pictures he took without us knowing was brilliant.

Ye, at the time it's a lot of dough and when everyone is stressed trying to pay bills and for the rest of the wedding it seems worse :) But exactly, get the right photographer and it's well worth it.

Ye, at the time it's a lot of dough and when everyone is stressed trying to pay bills and for the rest of the wedding it seems worse :) But exactly, get the right photographer and it's well worth it.

Only looked at mine once since they were done. How often do you lot look at yours?

Only looked at mine once since they were done. How often do you lot look at yours?

I've looked through mine a couple of times since ive been married, im sure that will wear off over the years. But its something to look back on when you kids grow up.

Yeah - me and the missus are not big on photographs anyway, so just a few snaps of the big day at the right times will do for us.

If you are into your snaps and will look back at them often and want them framed etc etc, then maybe use a pro, like Damo.

But it's money we'd rather spend elsewhere TBH, like on the free bar. :cheers:

DHUTWU.

No cake?!?!? You had me agreeing with everything until that. The only reason weddings are tolerable are for the possibility of an open bar and the cake. IF we ever have a wedding/expensive party Brumerican will ONLY care about the cake. Since we're already married his only request if we do have it was in fact cake.

Yeah, you might be right about the cake. There probably should be a cake. But sod paying £300 for a 'wedding' cake. I'm sur ethe rpices of things quadruple when you mention the 'W' word. Some Sara Lee gateaus will do :)

True, I would hate that too. But that's not really your day, that'd be a forced idea of a crap photographer. I shoot weddings and I'm not into that either. But I get emails every week from brides who went with friends or a cheap option trying to find a way to claw something back from their photography. You get what you pay for. 99% of the time a friend of the family just won't do it. And it's not fair to put pressure on them. It's a hardcore job if done properly.

Yeah I can appreciate that a good photographer is worth their weight in gold if they do the job properly, especially if it's a grand day with lots of dressing up and lovely moments. Our wedding is gonna be more of a pie, booze and pissed-up-dancing-to-reggae affair though, so probably could do without that many photos afterwards!

The samosas are a grand idea :D

Samosas are ALWAYS a good idea!

If you are into your snaps and will look back at them often and want them framed etc etc, then maybe use a pro, like Damo.

But it's money we'd rather spend elsewhere TBH, like on the free bar. :cheers:

And hire me to guard the free bar :D

Â