Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

The other thing to think about is the "average" is probably a lot lower than 16k given that some knob only has to drop 50k to watch the "average" number skyrocket.

Yes, that's how averages tend to work Eames Sir.

One guy spending 50K on a wedding is counterbalanced by a few other people spending 10K ish on theirs.

Which is how it gets down/up to 16K :winkold: :mrgreen:

I'd have thought the general trend over the past few years would be downwards though ...

EDIT: I do wonder whether that average is a Mean or a Median. My guess would be it's a mean average, which as Eames suggests, would be higher than a Median, in all probability, in this case.

The part of the wedding i found expensive for what it was, were flowers, cake and photography.

Those 3 alone set us back around £1500!!!

:oops:

You rich, opulent bastard Eames. :lol:

The other thing to think about is the "average" is probably a lot lower than 16k given that some knob only has to drop 50k to watch the "average" number skyrocket.

Yes, that's how averages tend to work Eames Sir.

One guy spending 50K on a wedding is counterbalanced by a few other people spending 10K ish on theirs.

Which is how it gets down/up to 16K :winkold: :mrgreen:

I'd have thought the general trend over the past few years would be downwards though ...

EDIT: I do wonder whether that average is a Mean or a Median. My guess would be it's a mean average, which as Eames suggests, would be higher than a Median, in all probability, in this case.

Thats sort of what I was getting at Jon, but the GCSE maths knowledge has long since deserted me.....

The part of the wedding i found expensive for what it was, were flowers, cake and photography.

:oops:

You rich, opulent bastard Eames. :lol:

:lol:

I have no idea what opulent means!?!?

:lol:

Its a word George Orwell used a lot. ;)

anyone have any experience of what the average 'gift' level is, in terms of take home at the end of the day (when done in money rather than kettles and toasters).

Obviously it would depend a bit on the level (wealth) of guests invited ....

Just interested to see if this wedding is 'worth it' purely in monetary terms. :mrgreen:

anyone have any experience of what the average 'gift' level is, in terms of take home at the end of the day (when done in money rather than kettles and toasters).

Just interested to see if this wedding is 'worth it' purely in monetary terms. :mrgreen:

We got a about £2k all together, i think it was roughly a 50/50 split between cash & vouchers.

If this helps any of you, mywishingwell.com is pretty perfect for all of this. Instead of people buying gifts they can send you money. When a close friend of mine got married she signed herself up and listed gifts they wanted as well as the option for a money contribution to their honeymoon. She ended up with over $5,000. Always a thought.

I'm getting married in about 18 months, and it's looking like coming in at about £1,200.

Register office, couple of hours at the pub, pie for everyone, then booking a gig venue type place for £400 for the evening. Laptop full of music, a buffet (pizzas and Indian starters), and a couple of hundred quid on a dress for the missus. Sorted.

Hoping to clear a profit :)

Flowers die after a day. No point. @Photographers... well got a few mates with decent cameras. Don't really want to spend two hours having stupid pictures of various collections of people standing oddly against a backdrop of a bush. Cake - **** that - samosas!

We got a about £2k all together, i think it was roughly a 50/50 split between cash & vouchers.

result

tumblr_m8ytq1E8u31rnudxp.gif

I'm getting married in about 18 months, and it's looking like coming in at about £1,200.

Register office, couple of hours at the pub, pie for everyone, then booking a gig venue type place for £400 for the evening. Laptop full of music, a buffet (pizzas and Indian starters), and a couple of hundred quid on a dress for the missus. Sorted.

Hoping to clear a profit :)

Flowers die after a day. No point. @Photographers... well got a few mates with decent cameras. Don't really want to spend two hours having stupid pictures of various collections of people standing oddly against a backdrop of a bush. Cake - **** that - samosas!

No cake?!?!? You had me agreeing with everything until that. The only reason weddings are tolerable are for the possibility of an open bar and the cake. IF we ever have a wedding/expensive party Brumerican will ONLY care about the cake. Since we're already married his only request if we do have it was in fact cake.

Personally, I can't get my head around the following 'traditions':

1) Forking out £20 - £80 per guest on food: It's your day of celebration, and you're buying food for other people.

2) Paying for Bridesmaids dresses: If you want to be involved, go and buy your own, or rent one.

3) Basically paying any amount of money towards other people on YOUR wedding day. Just no.

Luckily when I pop the question and we start arranging the wedding the missus has a lot of family members and family friends who do stuff related to it (i.e. flower arrangement, dress making, photography) so things like that will just be at cost.

Sorry people, but there has been far too much talk about weddings in the last few pages of this thread and not nearly enough about clunge. I haven't even seen anyone say DHUTWU for a good while.

What the hell is the matter with you all today?

Sorry people, but there has been far too much talk about weddings in the last few pages of this thread and not nearly enough about clunge. I haven't even seen anyone say DHUTWU for a good while.

What the hell is the matter with you all today?

Indeed.

Rule of thumb - if she won't let you DHUTWU then wedding is off

Not to be biased but the photography is possibly the most important investment we could make on a wedding. It's the one thing that will last longer than even the rings possibly will and the memories are priceless as we get older. Very very unappreciated at times.

@Photographers... well got a few mates with decent cameras. Don't really want to spend two hours having stupid pictures of various collections of people standing oddly against a backdrop of a bush

True, I would hate that too. But that's not really your day, that'd be a forced idea of a crap photographer. I shoot weddings and I'm not into that either. But I get emails every week from brides who went with friends or a cheap option trying to find a way to claw something back from their photography. You get what you pay for. 99% of the time a friend of the family just won't do it. And it's not fair to put pressure on them. It's a hardcore job if done properly.

The samosas are a grand idea :D

result

tumblr_m8ytq1E8u31rnudxp.gif

:crylaugh:

Â