Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

Hmmm, Weddings arent cheap are they.

How the hell does anyone ever afford one? I can't be the only one who doesn't (and never will have) £15k lying around in a bank account.

Save save save & tap the old folks up for a couple of £££££££.

It's only like people saving for a house, you dont need to do it now if you cant afford it, no point in getting up to your eyes in debt for the sake of waitng a couple of years.

Still cheeper than the traditional way of doing things.

Cheep+Cheep+Chick.jpg

Hmmm, Weddings arent cheap are they.

How the hell does anyone ever afford one? I can't be the only one who doesn't (and never will have) £15k lying around in a bank account.

They can be relatively cheap, yes.

I'm tying the knot in may next year. Booked the wedding ceremony already, at a Chapel, and that worked out cheaply (about £500 IIRC).

The reception is at Macclesfield Town Hall. Venue hire will work out at circa £500 (big grandiose hall that can hold up to 150 peeps). Then it's booze and catering on top of that. They have a fridge/bar section that you populate yourselves, so buying bulk micro brewery ale in, plus some bottles of wine, spirits etc. I intend to have a 'free bar' all day/night. We have circa 90 guests, so that'll be in the region of £1000 to £1500 (the bulk buying of micro brewery ale is the winner here). The food will work out at about £1000 (about £10 per person as we're not doing formal sit down meal but more of a buffet style with Indian food options).

WE've bought clobber for me, the missus and her bridesmaid, all for less than a grand. Getting a band in to do some live music for half an hour - I know some local bands/musicians so that'll cost no more than £100.

No need for compere, I've done the music playlist and my musician mate will supply speakers/amp.

So, all in all, we can have a great knees up for less than 5K.

Or am I missing something? You don't have to spend 15-20K to have a good wedding.

Honeymoon Jon lad?

Yes, would be nice. :) I wasn't aware people were factoring that in as part of the cost of the wedding. I see it as a bit of an optional extra, a holiday for when you can afford it. But I'm hoping the 'wedding gifts' might cover the honeymoon.

A wedding can be as cheep or as expensive as you want.

Indeed Wiggs. Kind of what I was driving at fella. Yes, expensive weddings full of bling can be great.

As can the more downstated ones.

For me, as long as it's free booze and food and decent music, then you're onto a winner.

I think people have misjudged my post. This place confuses the **** out of me.

I thought it was pretty funny Ingram. Don't worry. :lol:

We got it sir.

We just didn't think it was funny. :mrgreen:

Evil Dan loved it though.

Flowers, Jon! You forgot the flowers!

thankfully, she's not big on flowers. I think we'll keep flowers minimal.

And rings!

Yes, I do keep forgetting about the ring. I don't want one, but I think she will! :winkold:

And what about the bride's makeup!

She's naturally beautiful and doesn't need any. :lol:

And transport!

She has feet (and an umbrella if it's raining) :winkold:

Clearly, somebody has not been watching don't tell the bride!!!.....Not like I do though... :winkold:

I hope to steer my missus away from all such programmes and and magazines for the next few months (not that she reads/watches them anyway, but just in case ...)

I can't believe that the average price of a UK wedding is 16k. Mental.

I blame that Gypsy wedding programme. Women want extravagance now.

Having comortably spent over the average I can assure you its very easily done.

The other thing to think about is the "average" is probably a lot lower than 16k given that some knob only has to drop 50k to watch the "average" number skyrocket.

The part of the wedding i found expensive for what it was, were flowers, cake and photography.

Those 3 alone set us back around £1500!!!

Agreed. Thats why a friend did the photo. We bought a cheap cake (£100) and went minimal on flowers.

But wiggy is right the price of these is extortionate.

I can't believe that the average price of a UK wedding is 16k. Mental.

Yeah, that does seem rather a lot, as an average.

Is that a recent figure?

I'd expect the recent economic downturn of the past few years to possibly drive that figure down a bit.

Surely people don't have the money these days to splurge 16K on 1 day!

Having said that, the costs do all add up, if you don't keep a very tight rein on them.

The part of the wedding i found expensive for what it was, were flowers, cake and photography.

Those 3 alone set us back around £1500!!!

Agreed. Thats why a friend did the photo. We bought a cheap cake (£100) and went minimal on flowers.

But wiggy is right the price of these is extortionate.

Agreed.

My sis is a decent amateur photographer and she is doing the photos. One of Emma's friends is a good cakemaker and is doing us the cake.

Flowers - meh. Couple of hundred quid will clear it easily, as we're not going big on them.

The photography was the really bad one, because we were on a resort in Mexico, they had their own on site photography company, so you can imagine that we paid way much more than if we had the chance of shopping around as you would do over here, or even having a friend of the family who was decent with a camera in hand.

Â