Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hahaha definitely encountered most if not all of those. In addition -

You see some profiles which are literally pictures of sunsets and/or “inspirational” quotes.

A lot of women seem to think that selfies taken posed in front of a mirror in the ladies toilets is a good photo. Bonus point if there’s a stall door open and a toilet is visible. Sexy.

Pictures that are of their pets, not them. I’m fine with a picture of her with her dog, that’s ok. But the sheer amount of people who use up a photo space with a picture of just an animal.

The opposite of too many selfies - too many group photos. The amount of profiles which have their first three pictures as a bunch of friends and I’m left guessing whose profile it is. Also, and this is going to be a bit shallow of me, if the first picture is of two women, one I fancy more than the other, and I scroll down the profile and it transpires that the profile doesn’t belong to the woman I fancy… you are setting yourself up for a fall. I have a taller, more objectively handsome mate. He does not appear in my profile pictures.

A lot of women (and from what I can gather, a fair few men) use the pineapple on pizza debate as an ice breaker. Stop.

There’s a few too many who don’t want to match with anyone who’s been vaccinated.

People who have put “conservative” in their bio.

Just be glad you don't look like the Alf Garnett word in your avatar mate! 🤤

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Fair play to these women, at least they’re making it very clear that they’re not worth wasting any time on. It’s like the online version of someone having terrible BO. A fast indication to get the hell out of there. 

Absolutely. Never mind Snapchat filters, any woman over 40 using Snapchat at all is already written off. Same as TikTok. I'd write off anyone who cared too much about their 'social media' presence 

Yes, i'm single. 

• Like 1

I really need to sort myself out when it comes to dating. I just can't be doing with online dating though. I've done it before and I find the whole process exhausting. 

I'd much rather meet someone face to face, but i'm not great when I first meet someone. I tend to grow on them, like a fungus or a skin condition. 

Outlook is bleak. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I really need to sort myself out when it comes to dating. I just can't be doing with online dating though. I've done it before and I find the whole process exhausting. 

I'd much rather meet someone face to face, but i'm not great when I first meet someone. I tend to grow on them, like a fungus or a skin condition. 

Outlook is bleak. 

Hate to hear that pal. Best advice I can give you is to just be yourself and the right woman will come along. I am nervous about meeting people for the first time as well(Especially women) but have gotten better by just understanding they are in the same situation and a lot of times I use humor to defuse any tension or awkardness. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Outlook is bleak. 

Do like me and go Eastern european and in my case Romanian. Was a few years we met now but it was refreshing how it was no games involved at all. Generalising here of course but I think it has some merit.

11 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Hate to hear that pal. Best advice I can give you is to just be yourself and the right woman will come along. I am nervous about meeting people for the first time as well(Especially women) but have gotten better by just understanding they are in the same situation and a lot of times I use humor to defuse any tension or awkardness. Good luck to you.

Reading it back, I actually made it sound more severe than it is actually is! I'm fairly happy at the moment, and while it would be nice to meet someone, its not something i'm going to rush/force. :)

• Like 2

Met my missus online - we'd both been married, had a couple of relationships afterwards but I dunno....I guess I got lucky and it deffo did help that I saw a lot of me in her (KW jpeg), personality wise for sure anyway. 

I'd hate to go through it again - it's like prepping for an job interview and you almost have to be on your best behaviour for the first few dates before you can really relax and be yourself. 

After using a few dating apps you get a feel for who you're looking at and categorise them easily enough to weed out the dimwits, goldiggers or players.

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Met my missus online - we'd both been married, had a couple of relationships afterwards but I dunno....I guess I got lucky and it deffo did help that I saw a lot of me in her (KW jpeg), personality wise for sure anyway. 

I'd hate to go through it again - it's like prepping for an job interview and you almost have to be on your best behaviour for the first few dates before you can really relax and be yourself. 

After using a few dating apps you get a feel for who you're looking at and categorise them easily enough to weed out the dimwits, goldiggers or players.

Yeah but did she drink in town?

Mate.

😉

• Haha 1

Just now, rjw63 said:

Mate.

😉

She's from a backward lil town called Burntwood, staffordSHIRE so no chance of her totting in town. 

Mate.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

She's from a backward lil town called Burntwood, staffordSHIRE so no chance of her totting in town. 

Mate.

Thank duck for that!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Do like me and go Eastern european and in my case Romanian. Was a few years we met now but it was refreshing how it was no games involved at all. Generalising here of course but I think it has some merit.

Pics or GTFO

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Anthony said:

I'm told this is the place to rant, so if it's not it's their fault. meh. I am of an age (51) where I'm looking for a relationship, not a quick shag. 

Things that piss me off on dating profiles:

Duckface. Really? I mean, really? 

One photo. That's it? Often includes duckface. 

Filters on photos. If you're an 'influencer' then go ahead be as fake as you like, but if you want to meet someone? Nope. Red flag. Next. 

Multiple photos that are essentially all the same. No explanation needed. 

Multiple photos that are all selfies. Tells me that your have no friends. Next. 

Empty description. For ****'s sake, you're about 50 and are trying to find a partner based on looks? Makes things easier for me, as I prefer someone who has evolved since their twenties. Next. 

Snapchat filters. I'm not ten years old. Stop it.

Sunglasses. In. Every. ****. Photo. 

"Just ask me" as the entire text of their profile. Er, how about no? I'll swipe left and try and find someone who's prepared to make an effort. 

No children info. Kind of important don't you think? 

No location info. As above. You seem great, but I'd really like to know that you don't live on the other side of the world.

I think that's it for my whinging about profiles. I'll save my whinges about the apps for another time. 

To be honest I was a bit disappointed, I was hoping your rant would feature some 'she turned out to be a Nazi' shenanigans.  Everything you said is true though, it's a massive pain on the arse.  My best mate seems to have struck it lucky recently, he has a couple of disabilities but found a quite good-looking woman who seems to see past all that as he is the nicest guy in the world.  It's easy to get down about online dating (or any other type) but there's still always a chance it'll work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Outlook is bleak. 

I was using online dating for quite a long time before I met my now wife. It is exhausting and depressing when things aren't going your way, but ultimately it only has to work once.

Stick with it, it's the best way to meet new people.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Mate.

😉

Excuse me, my dear, but do you, ahem, drink in town?

Edited by Anthony

Â