Jump to content
irreverentad

Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

Recommended Posts

My wedding was as cheap as they come. Registry office, followed by sandwiches in a Telford pub, then minibus to blast off in Wolves where me, my wife and our friends danced the night away. My parents and others stayed on at the pub and enjoyed themselves without us. Cost £200 in 1999

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can genuinely only think of one person who I could ask to be best man, and even him I'm not sure of. I barely see my uni mates any more and I never really had any close friends growing up (well, one, but in sixth form my girlfriend at the time cheated on me with him so that put an end to that friendship).

So yeah, @Stevo985 and @StefanAVFC, I may have a job for you in a few year's time.

I can see the speeches now... 'I remember that one time on Rocket League...',  and 'So we were playing GTA Online, right. @lapal_fan had just finished running Rich over for the fiftieth time that night...'

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ginko said:

I can genuinely only think of one person who I could ask to be best man, and even him I'm not sure of. I barely see my uni mates any more and I never really had any close friends growing up (well, one, but in sixth form my girlfriend at the time cheated on me with him so that put an end to that friendship).

So yeah, @Stevo985 and @StefanAVFC, I may have a job for you in a few year's time.

I can see the speeches now... 'I remember that one time on Rocket League...',  and 'So we were playing GTA Online, right. @lapal_fan had just finished running Rich over for the fiftieth time that night...'

I must have been going lightly on yo' ass that night. It was usually in the 100s :lol:  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I can genuinely only think of one person who I could ask to be best man, and even him I'm not sure of. I barely see my uni mates any more and I never really had any close friends growing up (well, one, but in sixth form my girlfriend at the time cheated on me with him so that put an end to that friendship).

So yeah, @Stevo985 and @StefanAVFC, I may have a job for you in a few year's time.

I can see the speeches now... 'I remember that one time on Rocket League...',  and 'So we were playing GTA Online, right. @lapal_fan had just finished running Rich over for the fiftieth time that night...'

"Commiserations to the woman who has to spend her life with this laggy son of a bitch"

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Commiserations to the woman who has to spend her life with this laggy son of a bitch"

Her name is Holly (two years last month) and our internet is decent nowadays, thank you very much.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 20/08/2019 at 17:21, Rugeley Villa said:

Ours was very low key . Family and close friends only. Lichfield registry office then we all went for a sit down meal. The ones that wanted to carry on drinking joined us down town in our local pubs. One landlord gave  us bottles of champagne on the house. The cost weren’t much at all. People think I’m joking when I say the Cocaine bill was as much as the wedding. That’s how it was a few years ago though. As it turned out I made a massive dick of myself and she wants to renew our vows which we are doing next year. 

Did the bridesmaid who you tried to nail think it was low key as well?! ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lad I know had the full works for his wedding... at a castle with a moat, loads of people attending, a 'famous' DJ for the evening. Mainly driven by his missus I would imagine. The stress of organising it all nearly finished him off. Not to mention the price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xela said:

A lad I know had the full works for his wedding... at a castle with a moat, loads of people attending, a 'famous' DJ for the evening. Mainly driven by his missus I would imagine. The stress of organising it all nearly finished him off. Not to mention the price.

 

You know David Beckham?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of being best man... is a speech absolutely necessary? I'm meant to be best man for someone I work with. I found it a bit odd he asked me, we'd only known each other a year at that point. We've barely done anything outside of work. I've got absolutely no funny stories, and know none of his family or friends that I don't work with. I'm also terrified of public speaking. With he, his partner and some friends being actors, it makes it worse as I'm sure they'd be expecting someone super confident to be doing a speech. If I was asked to fill 1 minutes worth of talking, I'd really struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

On the subject of being best man... is a speech absolutely necessary? I'm meant to be best man for someone I work with. I found it a bit odd he asked me, we'd only known each other a year at that point. We've barely done anything outside of work. I've got absolutely no funny stories, and know none of his family or friends that I don't work with. I'm also terrified of public speaking. With he, his partner and some friends being actors, it makes it worse as I'm sure they'd be expecting someone super confident to be doing a speech. If I was asked to fill 1 minutes worth of talking, I'd really struggle.

Is the dude an accountant, or in finance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is the dude an accountant, or in finance? 

We both work in the accounts department, but he's not an accountant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

We both work in the accounts department, but he's not an accountant.

Oh Oh Snap GIF - Oh OhSnap OhShit GIFs

Whatever you do, just record it and get one of your loved ones to post it post mortem, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

On the subject of being best man... is a speech absolutely necessary? I'm meant to be best man for someone I work with. I found it a bit odd he asked me, we'd only known each other a year at that point. We've barely done anything outside of work. I've got absolutely no funny stories, and know none of his family or friends that I don't work with. I'm also terrified of public speaking. With he, his partner and some friends being actors, it makes it worse as I'm sure they'd be expecting someone super confident to be doing a speech. If I was asked to fill 1 minutes worth of talking, I'd really struggle.

Maybe start with a few quips on the fact the lad has no mates.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

How come he asked you out of interest? 

No idea. We get on really well, but I've no idea why he felt he should choose me over people he's known for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

No idea. We get on really well, but I've no idea why he felt he should choose me over people he's known for years.

It's a compliment for sure but yeah, I think I'd have declined on the basis that outside of work, I have no idea about the guy. Its not like itd be easy to ask his old mates either as id be worried about pissing them off in case they resented me. Good luck with it though. Can only try your best. Make the stag do great to make up for a possibly crap speech is the tactic I'd go for.

Edited by Ingram85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It's a compliment for sure but yeah, I think I'd have declined on the basis that outside of work, I have no idea about the guy. Its not like itd be easy to ask his old mates either as id be worried about pissing them off in case they resented me. Good luck with it though. Can only try your best. Make the stag do great to make up for a possibly crap speech is the tactic I'd go for.

If you make the stag do great enough it will give you plenty of material for the speech anyway! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â