Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I agreed to go blind double date for a friend on his first date.

The actual dating couple, well it turned out they had nothing much to say to each other.

Me and the girl I met that evening have been married for 27 years now.

(not really a disaster, she's a bit awesome)

How does a blind double date work? 27 years ago there was no in,one dating so how the hell did that happen?!

Just now, Demitri_C said:

How does a blind double date work? 27 years ago there was no in,one dating so how the hell did that happen?!

First bit of the question: it was a double date, the other two knew it was going to be a date but neither had the confidence to go alone, so he dragged me along and she dragged her mate along. So I had no idea who I was meeting, she had no idea who I was.

So it was a double date, with two of us just pitching up with no knowledge.

Second bit of the question... I don't quite understand, sorry!

My mate is getting married today, poor fella. Im his groomsman 

Apparently the best man and I were too rowdy yesterday at the rehearsal and then the dinner. 

The brides parents didn't warm to me as they're "uptight" as my mate told me. I'll admit that I was a bit pissy but that was because the groom and I were solving an 'emergency' every 5 minutes all afternoon. We weren't allowed to go get food cos there was so much still to do so I got on the beers. 

Anyway a lot of people come up to me and said I didn't do anything wrong but cos the brides upset im in the bad books. 

If it wasn't a wedding I'd tell these uptight in laws to ............................ but seeing as it is a wedding I'm going to be on my best behaviour. 

Still doesn't stop me being jacked off at being judged so quickly. Especially as the brides parents did f-all to help yesterday afternoon. 

I got married last year cos I love my Mrs, however it doesn't change my view which is weddings are quite simply a stupid idea!

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Apparently the best man and I were too rowdy yesterday at the rehearsal and then the dinner. 

The brides parents didn't warm to me as their "uptight". I'll admit that I was a bit pissy but that was because the groom and I were solving an 'emergency' every 5 minutes all afternoon. 

Anyway a lot of people come up to me and said I didn't do anything wrong but cos the brides upset im in the bad books. 

If it wasn't a wedding I'd tell these upright in laws to ............................ but seeing as it is a wedding I'm going to be on my best behaviour. 

Still doesn't stop me being jacked off at being judged so quickly. Especially as the brides parents did f-all to help yesterday afternoon. 

I got married last year cos I love my Mrs, however it doesn't change my view which is weddings are quite simply a stupid idea!

For some people, their wedding is the most enjoyable day of their life.  For others, it's the most stressful.  They've dreamed of how it could be, to the point that it could never really be like that.

Stuff goes wrong, stuff goes right - but not right enough.  You guys, unfortunately, aren't there to enjoy yourselves if that's the way it's playing out.  You're there to take all the shit off the bride and her family so your mate doesn't have to.

I was best man at a wedding like that.  It was one of the hardest days of my life.  Good luck!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The brides parents didn't warm to me as they're "uptight" as my mate told me. I'll admit that I was a bit pissy but that was because the groom and I were solving an 'emergency' every 5 minutes all afternoon. We weren't allowed to go get food cos there was so much still to do so I got on the beers. 

If it wasn't a wedding I'd tell these uptight in laws to ............................ but seeing as it is a wedding I'm going to be on my best behaviour. 

I hate weddings, the day is pretty much about everything a 2 people who love each shouldn’t care about.

Just slip off one day and tie the not and save yourself a huge amount of time, money and stress.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

For some people, their wedding is the most enjoyable day of their life.  For others, it's the most stressful.  They've dreamed of how it could be, to the point that it could never really be like that.

Stuff goes wrong, stuff goes right - but not right enough.  You guys, unfortunately, aren't there to enjoy yourselves if that's the way it's playing out.  You're there to take all the shit off the bride and her family so your mate doesn't have to.

I was best man at a wedding like that.  It was one of the hardest days of my life.  Good luck!

You're right, I'm hoping today goes smoothly for my mate and his Mrs  (normally her and I get on great). Her parents are a miserable sack of spuds and I'll look forward to never seeing them again after today.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to stay sober all day I think as I don't want to cause any more commotion.

Get my mate hitched today, wake up tomorrow and get outta there!

I should've added that my Mrs was one of the few that didn't approve of my humorous entertainment. So tomorrow when we get home I can already hear the rollicking I'll get. 

Maybe I'll just get dressed real quick now and run away. I'm only 2 days walk from home. Walking home seems like more fun at the moment. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Kind of.

About 10 years ago I was newly single and back in the UK for a few weeks after leaving Nuremberg and about to start a new job in Amsterdam.

I hadn't been out with my best pal for absolutely ages - he was living up north and I was in Germany.  We took the opportunity to relive our former glories in the Arcadian and Broad Street.  We booked a room at Malmaison, and being unable to afford a room each we decided to just book a super king bed and put some pillows down the middle.

The evening started off as usual.  Lager, lager, shots, lager, shots, shots, lager, lager, LADSLADSLADS.  We were essentially living the lyrics to Born Slippy.  A couple of other old mates came into town to meet us, and we hit it pretty hard for a few hours.  Bit of patter with some girls, few uncoordinated attempts at dancing.

It was getting to the early hours, and my mate had disappeared.  He's a handsome so and so, and it wasn't unusual for him to slink off with a bird.  I decided to call it night and went back to the hotel, unsure what I'd find in the room.  To my surprise, and relief, the room was empty so I dived onto the bed and fell asleep with my clothes on.

About half an hour later my phone rings.  It's my pal's number but there are some girls on the line.  They want to know if I'm really moving to Amsterdam.  I am.  Is it because I'm a drug dealer?!  Clearly my mate is hoping I'm going to verify his story...  The conversation peters out and I fall back asleep.

Another hour passes and my phone rings again.  This time it's my mate, and there's a sense of urgency in his voice.  He's on his way back to the hotel, and he's bringing a bird.  "Don't worry - I've got one for you un all!".  I figure I've probably got time for a quick "French bath" before he arrives back at the room.

It takes quite a bit longer than I expected for the other three members of Bucks Fizz to open the door, but eventually they do - and I awake from my pretend sleep to see what he was so excited about on the phone.

In walks an absolute stunner, followed by my grinning mate.  He guides her into the bathroom, and peeks back round the door with a message. "Sorry it took a while," he says, gesturing behind him towards the corridor. "She wanted to stop off at the petrol station for something to eat."

This is not a good sign.

His "catch" bore something of a resemblance to Cat Deeley.  Her friend, however, was genetically closer to Cat's real-life husband Patrick Kielty.

She stumbled over the bed, and flopped herself onto the side I'd now decided my "mate" would be sleeping on.  "Alright?", she bellowed in a thick yam-yam accent.  At this stage I was hoping she liked football so I could ask her opinion on the day's results, then close my eyes and pretend I was listening to Sam Allardyce on the radio.

"Yow want wanna these?" she asked, kindly offering me a pack of Kraft Cheese Slices she'd acquired at the Esso garage.  "I'm good thanks.  You knock yourself out."  That last part was intended literally, rather than figuratively as it might usually be.  She took the top slice from the pack, ham-fistedly peeled off the plastic wrapper, and folded the yellow square into her mouth as if delivering a fake-cheese holy communion.

At this point I've explained I'm tired, and roll over hoping she'll sit back and tuck into her beastly bounty.  The sound of our friends humping emanates from the bathroom.  "Yow wanna see my tattoo?".  "I'm alright thanks.  Pretty whacked," I reply.  "Come, ave a look".  She's not taking No for an answer so I roll over to bear witness to God-only-knows what.

To my horror, she rolls up her dress in an attempt to show me the "Tweety Poy" tattoo etched onto her groin.  My eyes failed to make it that far, though, so aghast was I at the sight of her underwear - which resembled the sort of orange netting which is used to package fruit and nuts at Christmas, except rather than festive treats it appeared to be the hiding place of a feral raccoon.

"Jesus Christ!", I exclaim.  "Worrizit?", she asks.  "Nothing.  There's a minibar over there.  You go and help yourself."  Her eyes light up and she dives over to the free booze.  Her delight has only just begun, though, and she's almost cataclysmic at the sight of a jar of cocktail olives.  "I bloody love these!".  Jesus wept.

She scrambles back onto the bed, opens the jar, and spills the brine all over my pal's sleeping area.  Scant consolation for me, but consolation nonetheless.  She's not happy though.  That was the bit she wanted, not the olives.  For once, I'm lost for words.

"Jaaaaaaade!!!", she cries to her seemingly orgasmic friend in the bathroom.  "We gorra gow!  I got work at Boots in 3 hours!".  I breathe a sigh of relief.  She turns back towards me and says "I do the mayk up for the noice shoppers".  I wince as I imagine someone excitedly waiting for a makeover only to have Kielty's cheese slice, booze and brine breath cascading over them.

"JAAAAAAAAAADE!".  She's hammering on the bathroom door now, and both her and Jade are operating at volume levels that could easily see us getting a visit from security.  She manages to breach the door, and seems alarmed to find what her mate is up to.  "Bloody ell Jade!  Come on.  Geh yer knickers back on!"

She wrenches her mate out of the room door, and they disappear off down the corridor - Jade on the receiving end of a bollocking for being a "slag".

My mate emerges wearing only a towel and huge smile.  "That was awesome wasn't it?!  Bet you've missed nights out in Brum!"

No it wasn't and no I haven't.

I've also still never participated in a "Bosnich and Yorkie Party", although on this occasion I was absolutely delighted about that.

TLDR; my mate thinks he's kind but really he's selfish.  What he thought might be a top-shelf "double date" turned into a scene from a Judd Apatow movie.

Epic story , man might don't seem as bad now!

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Rehearsal? Is this a celebity or royal wedding? Or just an excuse for 2 pissups? 

9 minutes ago, Jon said:

Rehearsal? Is this a celebity or royal wedding? Or just an excuse for 2 pissups? 

Yep a rehearsal done at 7 pm and we hadn't eaten dinner, I was getting hangry.

Any how the ceremony is now over and they're married. We've done all the photos and about to sit down to dinner. The best man and I nailed our duties and have received many compliments except from the mother in law who has not said one word to either of us nor even acknowledged us. 

I've come to the logical conclusion that she is a word removed and we've chosen to enjoy our night, safely knowing that 99% in attendance think we're both pretty laid back fun loving fellas.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Before I was single, I was looking forward to meeting new people and doing the new exciting part once again.

Urgh.

It's so tedious.

Don't message her back too quickly.

Don't message first every day.

Set up first dates

Constantly feel like you could slip up at any moment

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 21:20, NurembergVillan said:

Kind of.

About 10 years ago I was newly single and back in the UK for a few weeks after leaving Nuremberg and about to start a new job in Amsterdam.

I hadn't been out with my best pal for absolutely ages - he was living up north and I was in Germany.  We took the opportunity to relive our former glories in the Arcadian and Broad Street.  We booked a room at Malmaison, and being unable to afford a room each we decided to just book a super king bed and put some pillows down the middle.

The evening started off as usual.  Lager, lager, shots, lager, shots, shots, lager, lager, LADSLADSLADS.  We were essentially living the lyrics to Born Slippy.  A couple of other old mates came into town to meet us, and we hit it pretty hard for a few hours.  Bit of patter with some girls, few uncoordinated attempts at dancing.

It was getting to the early hours, and my mate had disappeared.  He's a handsome so and so, and it wasn't unusual for him to slink off with a bird.  I decided to call it night and went back to the hotel, unsure what I'd find in the room.  To my surprise, and relief, the room was empty so I dived onto the bed and fell asleep with my clothes on.

About half an hour later my phone rings.  It's my pal's number but there are some girls on the line.  They want to know if I'm really moving to Amsterdam.  I am.  Is it because I'm a drug dealer?!  Clearly my mate is hoping I'm going to verify his story...  The conversation peters out and I fall back asleep.

Another hour passes and my phone rings again.  This time it's my mate, and there's a sense of urgency in his voice.  He's on his way back to the hotel, and he's bringing a bird.  "Don't worry - I've got one for you un all!".  I figure I've probably got time for a quick "French bath" before he arrives back at the room.

It takes quite a bit longer than I expected for the other three members of Bucks Fizz to open the door, but eventually they do - and I awake from my pretend sleep to see what he was so excited about on the phone.

In walks an absolute stunner, followed by my grinning mate.  He guides her into the bathroom, and peeks back round the door with a message. "Sorry it took a while," he says, gesturing behind him towards the corridor. "She wanted to stop off at the petrol station for something to eat."

This is not a good sign.

His "catch" bore something of a resemblance to Cat Deeley.  Her friend, however, was genetically closer to Cat's real-life husband Patrick Kielty.

She stumbled over the bed, and flopped herself onto the side I'd now decided my "mate" would be sleeping on.  "Alright?", she bellowed in a thick yam-yam accent.  At this stage I was hoping she liked football so I could ask her opinion on the day's results, then close my eyes and pretend I was listening to Sam Allardyce on the radio.

"Yow want wanna these?" she asked, kindly offering me a pack of Kraft Cheese Slices she'd acquired at the Esso garage.  "I'm good thanks.  You knock yourself out."  That last part was intended literally, rather than figuratively as it might usually be.  She took the top slice from the pack, ham-fistedly peeled off the plastic wrapper, and folded the yellow square into her mouth as if delivering a fake-cheese holy communion.

At this point I've explained I'm tired, and roll over hoping she'll sit back and tuck into her beastly bounty.  The sound of our friends humping emanates from the bathroom.  "Yow wanna see my tattoo?".  "I'm alright thanks.  Pretty whacked," I reply.  "Come, ave a look".  She's not taking No for an answer so I roll over to bear witness to God-only-knows what.

To my horror, she rolls up her dress in an attempt to show me the "Tweety Poy" tattoo etched onto her groin.  My eyes failed to make it that far, though, so aghast was I at the sight of her underwear - which resembled the sort of orange netting which is used to package fruit and nuts at Christmas, except rather than festive treats it appeared to be the hiding place of a feral raccoon.

"Jesus Christ!", I exclaim.  "Worrizit?", she asks.  "Nothing.  There's a minibar over there.  You go and help yourself."  Her eyes light up and she dives over to the free booze.  Her delight has only just begun, though, and she's almost cataclysmic at the sight of a jar of cocktail olives.  "I bloody love these!".  Jesus wept.

She scrambles back onto the bed, opens the jar, and spills the brine all over my pal's sleeping area.  Scant consolation for me, but consolation nonetheless.  She's not happy though.  That was the bit she wanted, not the olives.  For once, I'm lost for words.

"Jaaaaaaade!!!", she cries to her seemingly orgasmic friend in the bathroom.  "We gorra gow!  I got work at Boots in 3 hours!".  I breathe a sigh of relief.  She turns back towards me and says "I do the mayk up for the noice shoppers".  I wince as I imagine someone excitedly waiting for a makeover only to have Kielty's cheese slice, booze and brine breath cascading over them.

"JAAAAAAAAAADE!".  She's hammering on the bathroom door now, and both her and Jade are operating at volume levels that could easily see us getting a visit from security.  She manages to breach the door, and seems alarmed to find what her mate is up to.  "Bloody ell Jade!  Come on.  Geh yer knickers back on!"

She wrenches her mate out of the room door, and they disappear off down the corridor - Jade on the receiving end of a bollocking for being a "slag".

My mate emerges wearing only a towel and huge smile.  "That was awesome wasn't it?!  Bet you've missed nights out in Brum!"

No it wasn't and no I haven't.

I've also still never participated in a "Bosnich and Yorkie Party", although on this occasion I was absolutely delighted about that.

TLDR; my mate thinks he's kind but really he's selfish.  What he thought might be a top-shelf "double date" turned into a scene from a Judd Apatow movie.

Superb, although I was *slightly* worried as to which direction it was heading after the first couple of sentences:

"I hadn't been out with my best pal for absolutely ages - he was living up north and I was in Germany.  We took the opportunity to relive our former glories in the Arcadian and Broad Street.  We booked a room at Malmaison, and being unable to afford a room each we decided to just book a super king bed and put some pillows down the middle.

It was getting to the early hours, and my mate had disappeared.  He's a handsome so and so, and it wasn't unusual for him to slink off with a bird.  I decided to call it night and went back to the hotel, unsure what I'd find in the room.  To my surprise, and relief, the room was empty so I dived onto the bed and fell asleep with my clothes on."

Definite 50 Shades of Ghey there....

The bit about the orange netting had me chortling like a good 'un though.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Cheeky drań.

And seriously, compared to her I sound like David Attenborough.

I do feel like we should have an accent thread so we can laugh at other people as well :)

On 26/02/2018 at 15:05, StefanAVFC said:

Before I was single, I was looking forward to meeting new people and doing the new exciting part once again.

Urgh.

It's so tedious.

Don't message her back too quickly.

Don't message first every day.

Set up first dates

Constantly feel like you could slip up at any moment

Yep it’s actually not fun, the whole internet saying can be very tedious. Small talk can suck 

I'm at my mums tonight. We've not been getting on great lately, and she wants some space. She says she's fed up, and bored. Must admit I've not been making any effort of late, which does happen with me from time to time. We tried talking about it, but I got all defensive per usual, and we ended up arguing. Anyway, the break might do us good. Time to dig out the old porn collection, that's been gathering dust :rolleyes:

Â